ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,526 of 16,326
There is warranty, the user just has to send it to Japan if the seller is willing to do the claim and I'm sure they will. Any explanation for what happened?

plug and unplug. heard a few other reports of bad connections before. never thought this could happen. have never seen this happen to an audio player before. hope it is just a few early production units and you guys have a solid device.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #3,527 of 16,326
plug and unplug. heard a few other reports of bad connections before. never thought this could happen. have never seen this happen to an audio player before. hope it is just a few early production units and you guys have a solid device.

Gonna be extra careful there... hope it's an exception, we'll know soon...

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,529 of 16,326

Gonna be extra careful there... hope it's an exception, we'll know soon...

I'm not very worried, certainly not yet. We haven't heard of this happening before and there are several members with a balanced connection. There are always units with faults, the nature of the beast sadly and we all hope we are not the unlucky few who get them. Anyway, as you said, time will tell.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #3,530 of 16,326
Jan 15, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,531 of 16,326
Jan 15, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #3,532 of 16,326
I guess being stylish is one, but I guess it is more like if any plug got drop and broke or caught, the jack on the player would stay. I also mentioned before about the 2.5 TRRS...it is very very small, and 4 poles will make it even smaller....I hated how much that Onkyo had to chase after AK...why not 3.5 trrs ? Much more reliable

Silver TRRS :) and the stock pouch for secure connection

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #3,533 of 16,326
It might be a one-off incident, but do remember that all we (mostly) have to go on is pics; we have no idea what was at play that resulted in such damage.

It could be a faulty jack socket not properly secured. When the user pulled his 2.5 mm jack the socket also came with it.

Or it could be user error/mishap. For example, pulling a 2.5 mm jack at an odd angle, dropping the unit whilst connected to a cable, breaking the TRRS jack head so the user opened up the socket to repair himself.

I'm not worried in the slightest. There have been almost no other reports of this or other hardware issues, but I do frequent here and FB/Twitter for audio news anyway.

Let's all err on the side of caution and look after our investments; the DP-X1 is oh so beautiful... <3

If you have hardware problem, bite the bullet, tell your importer and ship it back (and pay for return shipping) to get warranty cover. Not pleasant but that is the price us international customers must suffer.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,534 of 16,326
I guess being stylish is one, but I guess it is more like if any plug got drop and broke or caught, the jack on the player would stay. I also mentioned before about the 2.5 TRRS...it is very very small, and 4 poles will make it even smaller....I hated how much that Onkyo had to chase after AK...why not 3.5 trrs ? Much more reliable

Silver TRRS :) and the stock pouch for secure connection

I actually liked the aesthetics of the ZX2 and did lust over it for a long time. However it didn't bowl me over as the DP-X1 had on just pics alone.
Then the specs.
THEN THE PRICE.

Is the ZX2 more sturdily built? Perhaps, though the DP-X1 also feels pretty solid too, and slick.
Again, we shouldn't just use pictures of a single damaged DP-X1 unit without proper context to make judgements, and the DP-X1 is super recent; let it 'burn in' to public (audiophile/headphile) consciousness :wink:

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #3,535 of 16,326
Is the ZX2 more sturdily built? Perhaps, though the DP-X1 also feels pretty solid too, and slick.

The ZX2 is so sturdy it could get military grade certification like the LG V10 :p
I was vert happy with XDP-100 build but it's not up to ZX2 crazy sturdiness

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #3,537 of 16,326
well, that is not mine, but i am worried. no warrenty, right?

No direct warranty with Onkyo JP as it's only valid to customers who live in Japan. International customer's are forfeit of official direct warranty.

Yet there is a way.
For those who have shopped with PriceJapan, in an email between Kaneda and myself discussed warranty. If you are willing to pay to and from shipping to PriceJapan, they will help with warranty claims (by acting on your behalf as a customer who bought the item in Japan).
Expensive but will work.

This is the lesser result but it does mean customers of PriceJapan have some sort of protection.

For those who used different services speak to your place of purchase (Tenso?) for further information.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,538 of 16,326
Well, a part of the premium price of AK DAPs is due to the unibody construction - meaning all the cutouts for the ports and connectors are machined directly on the duraluminum case. This adds both material and manufacturing costs and something we are not likely to see in mass produced DAPs. In Onkyo's design it looks like they glue the collar for the headphone ports to the body so it can pop off under certain circumstances. If' it's due to poor glue application, it may just need some super glue to fix.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #3,539 of 16,326
I am ok, unless I have a faulty unit...I will always find something to make my stuff better lol. I will find a way to secure strap in th dp-X1. However to answer zx2 build ? It is a brick....solid aluminum brick lol...

Ha ha ha, fair enough.

I'm pretty sure it is, maybe more so than DP-X1, but that unit is also pretty good from my point of view.

I wouldn't mind learning of the context that lead to the broken DP-X1, but otherwise MOAR MUSIC AURAL PLEASURE TIME!

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #3,540 of 16,326
Well, a part of the premium price of AK DAPs is due to the unibody construction - meaning all the cutouts for the ports and connectors are machined directly on the duraluminum case. This adds both material and manufacturing costs and something we are not likely to see in mass produced DAPs. In Onkyo's design it looks like they glue the collar for the headphone ports to the body so it can pop off under certain circumstances. If' it's due to poor glue application, it may just need some super glue to fix.

That is certainly true. I even think the Questyle QP1/QP1R is similar.

Still the overall construction of the DP-X1 is that it is a minimalist, slick slab of high tech looking machine that has functional beauty.
I prefer that over AK aesthetics, however I won't deny that the gorgeous AK380 in copper and blue carbon backplate is mighty delicious...drool...

NO DP-X1 I wasn't looking at the AK3...no no, I love YOU more...don't cry or get angry, you're the only one for me...

I think DP-X1 and I need a moment, brb...

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back