ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,357 of 16,326
  Give the reference. I see only female 3.5mm TRRS to AK 2.5mm 4 poles males.
Luvdac ask for 3.5mm TRS to TRRS, what is not sutable (according to a previous post).

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Hyper-Short-Adapter-AK240-Astell-and-Kern-2-5-mm-4-pole-trrs-3-5-mm-1-8-rhodium
3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS, which is what was asked for no?

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #2,359 of 16,326
Get back to what was asked for. 
Quote:
This was probably asked and answered before but please tell me if and how would it be possible to plug in a 3.5 mm trs jack into the onkyo"s balanced out trrs? Can an adapter be used and if so where can I get one?

Use a 3.5mm TRS headphone in a 2.5mm TRRS output.

The Norme converter does just the opposite. Use a 2.5mm headphone in a single ended output. I own this converter because I don't have a balanced DAP yet (it is why DX_P1 is on my list and I follow that thread).

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,360 of 16,326
This was probably asked and answered before but please tell me if and how would it be possible to plug in a 3.5 mm trs jack into the onkyo"s balanced out trrs? Can an adapter be used and if so where can I get one?

No, you cannot.

You can plug balanced headphone on SE output through a converter. Not the opposite.

Here's why there's no easy way to convert something with 3 signals (or rings/poles) into 4:

If you put a regular TRS 3-pole 3.5mm (with an adapter) into the 4-pole 2.5mm of the Onkyo it will create a ground loop that could cause damage.

The only reason its ok to go from balanced to SE is because 2 of the 4 TRRS signals get combined into a common ground. So you go from having 2 left and 2 right signals (which are self cancelling thus no true ground is needed; hence the word balanced) to just 1 left, 1, right, and a common ground.

However, trying to go from 1 left, 1 right, and a ground (TRS) back to 2 left and 2 right signals (TRRS) leaves 1 ring of the 4-pole sending signals to itself with no where to go (stuck in a loop). The minimal power from that constant loop can fry something over time unless that remaining ring signal can be wired to a separate, y-split connected to the 3.5mm jack as a ground. A&K did this with their TRRS to dual XLR cables:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern/astell-kern-pef21-5ft-xlr-balanced-cable-made-by-crystal-cable.html
http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-PEF21-Balanced-Connectors/dp/B0117WF1CQ

Don't understand why anyone would go through all that extra complexity since Onkyo already included AGC mode for the SE out. So you can take advantage of the dual chip setup using SE headphones. Doubt it will sound quite as good as the balanced out but neither will SE connected to balanced with adapters.

If you really must insist on using the balanced out, it is much safer, easier, and cost effective to just use true balanced headphones and cables from the start.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #2,361 of 16,326
  Don't understand why anyone would go through all that extra complexity since Onkyo already included AGC mode for the SE out. So you can take advantage of the dual chip setup using SE headphones. Doubt it will sound quite as good as the balanced out but neither will SE connected to balanced with adapters.

Correct me if I wrong, but AFAIK AGC mode use dual amp for SE to reduce noise floor. Are you sure for dual chip for ACG mode?

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,363 of 16,326

Here's why there's no easy way to convert something with 3 signals (or rings/poles) into 4:

If you put a regular TRS 3-pole 3.5mm (with an adapter) into the 4-pole 2.5mm of the Onkyo it will create a ground loop that could cause damage.

The only reason its ok to go from balanced to SE is because 2 of the 4 TRRS signals get combined into a common ground. So you go from having 2 left and 2 right signals (which are self cancelling thus no true ground is needed; hence the word balanced) to just 1 left, 1, right, and a common ground.

However, trying to go from 1 left, 1 right, and a ground (TRS) back to 2 left and 2 right signals (TRRS) leaves 1 ring of the 4-pole sending signals to itself with no where to go (stuck in a loop). The minimal power from that constant loop can fry something over time unless that remaining ring signal can be wired to a separate, y-split connected to the 3.5mm jack as a ground. A&K did this with their TRRS to dual XLR cables:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern/astell-kern-pef21-5ft-xlr-balanced-cable-made-by-crystal-cable.html
http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-PEF21-Balanced-Connectors/dp/B0117WF1CQ

If you really must insist on using the balanced out, it is much safer, easier, and cost effective to just use true balanced headphones and cables from the start.

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply, but as has been suggested by others the Onkyo uses both dac chips only in balanced mode. Can someone absolutely confirm this? I'd love to be able to utilize the balanced mode with my NAD hp50 and stax srs 002's. I suppose the NAD could take balanced cables but dont think its possible with the stax. Which over ear headphones would work? I dont like IEM's.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #2,364 of 16,326

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply, but as has been suggested by others the Onkyo uses both dac chips only in balanced mode. Can someone absolutely confirm this? I'd love to be able to utilize the balanced mode with my NAD hp50 and stax srs 002's. I suppose the NAD could take balanced cables but dont think its possible with the stax. Which over ear headphones would work? I dont like IEM's.

See post #2304 He could read Japanese text and I believe what he said. Only Single DAC for SE.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #2,365 of 16,326

May have to mod your HP50 to use them balanced but many other headphones (that have wires going to both earcups) can be used balanced with a custom cable.

Only headphones I know of that come with a 2.5mm balanced cable in the box are these:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/accessories/headphones/astell-kern-akt1p-balanced-semi-openback-stereo-headphones-by-beyerdynamic.html

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #2,366 of 16,326
Apparently Onkyo has published a very very small firmware update for the DAP:

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/support/audiovisual/dap_soft/dpx1.htm

Update via WiFi only.

*Should take the version to 0.1.25.4
*Increase system stability when switching between balance modes
*Android security improvements

EDIT: download is 700megs, yeah use wifi and make sure your DAP is charged

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #2,367 of 16,326
  Apparently Onkyo has published a very very small firmware update for the DAP:

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/support/audiovisual/dap_soft/dpx1.htm

Update via WiFi only.

*Should take the version to 0.1.25.4
*Increase system stability when switching between balance modes
*Android security improvements

EDIT: download is 700megs, yeah use wifi and make sure your DAP is charged

i hope it improves stability. 

the music player jams up some times and crashes, especially irritating for me when I keep skipping between tracks ! 

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #2,368 of 16,326
Anyone got it updated? Mine doesn't detect any available OTA, perhaps Japan region first?

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #2,369 of 16,326
Mine came down already.  Not really finding any major differences.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2,370 of 16,326
  Mine came down already.  Not really finding any major differences.

Hmm, am in Singapore, but haven't got it :p

Wonder how are they pushing the updates out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back