ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 18, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #76 of 16,326
Originally Posted by Joe-Siow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I understand that the DP-X1 decodes DSD natively as a USB DAC, does it plays DSD files natively or DoP on DAP mode? 

The DP-X1 has a setting for real-time conversion of PCM to DSD 128, that essentially confirms it does Native DSD in dap mode, because the setting for PCM to DSD conversion would not be possible without Native DSD! (or it wouldn't make any sense).

Edit: Looks like the real-time pcm to dsd feature is actually listed in the usb digital out settings, so it doesn't really confirm native dsd in dap mode, but confirms native dsd for digital out.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #79 of 16,326
I love to hear a marantz dap.

Yeah me too....
tongue_smile.gif
but they might place it in the 1Grand territory, if they have to build one.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #80 of 16,326
Digital Out (via usb, up to DoP DSD 256 and PCM 384khz)

Is it means that we must buy adapter?

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #82 of 16,326
Sep 18, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #83 of 16,326
^ Usb dac was not mentioned in press release so probably not. Maybe they add it later with firmware update, or maybe specs are updated before release. Onkyo HA300 works as usb dac, so there is still possibility that DP-X1 does.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #84 of 16,326
What I'm personally more interested in is if the software, especially interface is any good. That will set it apart from what's on the market. And if it will ship with anything better than a primitive drag-and-drop upload system so we don't have to kludge our way with Foobar plugins or Dapper (which is made by one guy) if you want to have playlists. 

A well done integrated device like this has a different market than those who are satisfied with a netbook or smartphone and rubber-banding on a DAC. You can't expect to beat that financially when you have so much more engineering to do. There's a whole bunch of people who really want a true Hi-Fi iPod replacement, and that doesn't exist. Something that sounds great, has a long lasting battery (Try to play DSD files with USB Player Pro feeding an external DAC on a smartphone. Watch the battery disappear,)  has a good interface, and can sync playlists with computers, Windows and Mac, without having to resort to spotty third party software to do something the manufacturer should have done to begin with. . 

We have many DAP options where the hardware is fantastic- Hifiman, Fiio, iBasso, etc. However, the software, especially the interface design, is dreadful. (For example, seriously, Fiio, you put M3U playlists at the bottom of the folder menu of all things, requiring us to scroll with the non-accelerating wheel through dozens or hundreds of folders to get to the playlists, instead of the already existing playlist menu? And you haven't fixed this for years despite all the firmware revisions? And when you choose to view by Genre you just get an alphabetical list of what could be hundreds of songs. It's hopeless. Do you even care about making a good interface after you put so much effort into wonderful hardware engineering?

For that matter, I love your hardware, HiFiMan, and if you put 10% of the thought you employed engineering circuitry into having a usable interface and intuitive buttons I'd buy your stuff in a heartbeat. A battery that lasts more than four hours would be nice, too. Or, until the newest Astell&Kern series came out, you had to add songs to playlists one by one within the player if you didn't want to use iRivers absolutely useless Windows-only software. For a kilobuck device. Ridiculous. 

If the production interface is anything like Onkyo's Android app, I already have high hopes. They know how to make a good UI, but resorting to syncing with Doubletwist with transcoding disabled, as is the easier way to do things with Android if you want to use their app, is a bit kludgy. If the Onkyo addresses that shortcoming, they could really make a killing with this device.

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #85 of 16,326
This DAP looks really interesting.

Onkyo has for several years now run a successful hi-res online music store in Japan, so this player will have already established eco-system potential : 

http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/

Also, regarding the 2.5 balanced output, other makers in Japan have adopted it, like Ratoc Audio Labs and Venturecraft.  ALO`s new portable dual-mono tube amp also uses it.  As an AK user with several 2.5 cables, I am happy. 

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #86 of 16,326
Wow the size is pretty interesting. It's basically a somewhat thicker LG G3 but with 2x ESS9016K2M. Is this FiiO X7 killer?

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #87 of 16,326
Best part of X7.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #89 of 16,326
  I believe the Onkyo DAP will be able to do that as well. Heck, even LG G3 can do it.

I do not think any droid can do it without UAPP and an external DAC.

I'm using a Note 4 and an Aegis.  I'm quite happy with a massive screen 3 gigs of ram and Hi Res but it ain't happening out the box...I'm pretty sure? Hence the attractiveness of this ONKYO
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #90 of 16,326

The DP-X1 has a setting for real-time conversion of PCM to DSD 128, that essentially confirms it does Native DSD in dap mode, because the setting for PCM to DSD conversion would not be possible without Native DSD! (or it wouldn't make any sense).

Thanks Trance. Looking forward to this. Hopefully the price tag will be affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back