ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 15, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #47 of 16,326
Thanks for information and DP-X1 does not look like well built DAP whereas XDP-100R is, so is it from different product line or from Pioneer line? Thanks

That is only based on some of the prototype pics of DP-X1 which do not represent the final product. When both are released you will find they both have the same build quality, and are actually most likely both built in the exact same factory.

If anything the finalised Onkyo DP-X1 will probably have a nicer finish than the Pioneer. Remember that Onkyo owns Pioneer (AV division) aka Onkyo is in control of the Pioneer dap, which is also why the Onkyo dap is the flagship in specs, and the Pioneer dap is the lower model.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #48 of 16,326
  Thanks for information and DP-X1 does not look like well built DAP whereas XDP-100R is, so is it from different product line or from Pioneer line? Thanks

Dude, it doesn't even have its chamfers on yet 
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #51 of 16,326
More info: DP-X1 even when running single ended still has two advantages over XDP-100R.

1. Dual dacs of XDP-100R are still in play whether single ended or balanced is used, while XDP-100R is single dac.

2. The more interesting advantage of DP-X1 is that it uses ACG (Active Control Ground) when used in single ended, meaning the second Sabre Amp circuit is not going to waste in single ended! This gives another advantage to DP-X1 over XDP-100R even when single ended, where XDP-100R only has the single amp circuit.

DP-X1 uses ACG in single ended to take advantage of the second Amp thus utilizing the entire Amp circuit. This is an industry first. Other daps or amps that implement balanced literally only use half their Amp circuit when used in single ended mode.

For Balanced the DP-X1 is using BTL output (Bridge Tied Load) between the two Sabre Amps.

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #56 of 16,326
While I understand that the DP-X1 decodes DSD natively as a USB DAC, does it plays DSD files natively or DoP on DAP mode? 

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #57 of 16,326
Well it it wasn't obvious already, this if the final nail in the coffin for people like me who have invested in the future Geek Wave. This will look better, have as good or better tech, and could be less money and deliver sooner. Oh well, live and learn.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #58 of 16,326
Well it it wasn't obvious already, this if the final nail in the coffin for people like me who have invested in the future Geek Wave. This will look better, have as good or better tech, and could be less money and deliver sooner. Oh well, live and learn.

Yup... Good thing I had doubts about the wave project, despite the spec being all-you-could-wish-for, saved me a bullet.

Lesson to be learned for crowd funding : invest only when the prototype is already done and the only remaining phase is the mass production.

Back on topic : I hope we can have more info soon and if god is among us, even an onkyo representative on head-fi!

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #59 of 16,326
One sad thing is that the 2.5 mm TRRS jacket seems to become the industry standard... Lotoo is using it, and now Onkyo.

I hope it was a 3.5 mm TRRS (Hifiman) or mini 4-pin XLR. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #60 of 16,326
I really wish these guys offer continuous upgrade to Android 6, 7, 8...
DX100 is pretty much stuck at Android 2 and will not going to upgrade any higher. 
I hope this doesn't happen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back