ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 3, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #6,062 of 16,326
  Why does it matter if lyrics show? I don't mean that as harsh as it may sound, but I always wonder how seeing the lyrics help. I get it for karaoke but when listening do people really read the lyrics?

Well, I'd add that there's a few factors.. Firstly, it's a big benefit for non-native speakers, especially if it were possible for each line of the lyric to have (e.g.) an English and a Mandarin translation.
I know lots of non-native speakes who listen to western songs but often (depending on their level of English proficiency) may simply like the tune without any real understanding of the words.

So having lyrics can let them read along with the song and understand what's being sung (difference between difficulty of understanding sung/accented English and reading it). So it's both educational, but also hugely adding to the listening experience, since if one cannot understand the words being sung, it does remove a significant dimension in the true enjoyment of the song.

I know because I also love to listen to music from from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and so forth. For all of them, I enjoy so much more when I've been able to find a translation of the lyrics.
The same goes for TV and Film. I like foreign films and TV shows too (Running Man FTW!) For the Chinese language ones, since I can speak and read a bit of Chinese, having subtitles in Mandarin and English running simultaneously is hugely useful because it means that I can read and compare and learn new vocabulary.

What's weird is that after years of watching such things with English subtitles, now even with Hollywood films, I definitely have a preference for switching on the subtitles. I feel I miss things without them, and this has indeed been backed up by my experience of watching old shows or films that I've seen dozens of times and discovering dialogue that I'd previously misheard or missed completely lol. A bit like discovering new details in old songs with the DP-X1
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #6,063 of 16,326

Well, I'd add that there's a few factors.. Firstly, it's a big benefit for non-native speakers, especially if it were possible for each line of the lyric to have (e.g.) an English and a Mandarin translation.
I know lots of non-native speakes who listen to western songs but often (depending on their level of English proficiency) may simply like the tune without any real understanding of the words.

Interesting and good points. I must admit I never thought about those particular uses. I do wonder how accurate some of those lyrics are, let alone when they are translated. Still, those are very compelling points, glad you mentioned them. You must annoy people when they watch movies with you now mate
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #6,065 of 16,326
You can just use this program with any android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genius.android&hl=en

If you are playing a music he recognize, he shows to you the lyrics. I like a lot.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #6,066 of 16,326
You can just use this program with any android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genius.android&hl=en

If you are playing a music he recognize, he shows to you the lyrics. I like a lot.

I love that app. I installed it before I realized that the dp-x1 displays them from files.
Only thing is you have to be on wifi and a lot of times I am not.
Also if I'm listening to something like Rammstein it won't display the English lyrics. Just the native lyrics.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #6,067 of 16,326
  Since the Onkyo is running on Android, can't you just play the song and read the lyrics on a browser?

Well, my discourse was merely with regards to the usefulness of being able to read the lyrics. Naturally at home I indeed use a browser often.
Mind you, in terms of eliminating interference (and reducing battery usage), many users have reported that they switch off WIFI and apps etc when listening to music.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #6,068 of 16,326
  Interesting and good points. I must admit I never thought about those particular uses. I do wonder how accurate some of those lyrics are, let alone when they are translated. Still, those are very compelling points, glad you mentioned them. You must annoy people when they watch movies with you now mate
biggrin.gif

Yes, inaccurately translated lyrics are frustrating. What's doubly 'amusing' is how one set of poorly transcribed lyrics get picked up by the various search algorithms/spiders and then EVERY SINGLE high-ranking lyrics site has the same incorrect lyrics
tongue_smile.gif

I love www.songmeanings.com and songfacts(.com?). Both lyrics and interpretations/backstories behind the songs, sometimes quoted directly from the songwriters/bands themselves :D
= Deeper appreciation.

And yes, my family all think my film subtitles habit is weird. But my mummy says I'm special, so it must be ok lol
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #6,069 of 16,326
An easy mistake to make, no worries!
I thought you were all talking about an (over ear) headphone, so I wasn't really paying much attention lol :xf_eek:
Then I clicked on the link to find a rather gorgeous looking set of IEMs!
Can anyone tell me a bit more about them? Were they designed with the DP-X1 in mind? Are they balanced or SE?
Intended sound signature? BA or Hybrid or what?
Number of drivers? :tongue_smile:

From initial review in HK, E900M is best matched to a balanced cable on dp-x1 for full potential.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #6,070 of 16,326
- Corrupted Tidal files, hopefully it is the microsd card -

Yesterday I put in 2 brand new 128GB Samsung Evo cards into the DP-X1.  I started downloading my Tidal library on card 1.  The Tidal app only recognizes the first card.  On the second card I copied some wav/flac files from a pc.  I let Tidal download over wifi overnight.  Sometime overnight, card 1 failed and Tidal started downloading to the internal memory.  When I checked the unit this morning, it was giving me an out of memory error for its internal memory.  I uninstalled Tidal and reinstalled it to clear out the internal memory.  I tried erasing card 1 in both the DP-X1 and my Samsung phone but no luck.  I then tried a windows pc - windows format and SD card formatting tool.  Both did not work and were not able to format the card.  The card would show up in windows explorer and DISKPART sees it fine.  I have been running chkdsk /f for the last hour and it is finding lots of corruption in the .tidal folder.  I hope there is a way to fix the card if not I will have to deal with the hassle of exchanging it.  

To be safe, I ran the second card through a complete h2testw cycle and it was fine.  I just now inserted that card into slot 1 and am now downloading my Tidal library again.  Hopefully tomorrow I will find my complete library downloaded and no corrupt files.  Bad luck I guess this time.  I've been using Samsung cards for the last few years without any issues and I haven't had a single one fail on me. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #6,071 of 16,326
- Corrupted Tidal files, hopefully it is the microsd card -

Yesterday I put in 2 brand new 128GB Samsung Evo cards into the DP-X1.  I started downloading my Tidal library on card 1.  The Tidal app only recognizes the first card.  On the second card I copied some wav/flac files from a pc.  I let Tidal download over wifi overnight.  Sometime overnight, card 1 failed and Tidal started downloading to the internal memory.  When I checked the unit this morning, it was giving me an out of memory error for its internal memory.  I uninstalled Tidal and reinstalled it to clear out the internal memory.  I tried erasing card 1 in both the DP-X1 and my Samsung phone but no luck.  I then tried a windows pc - windows format and SD card formatting tool.  Both did not work and were not able to format the card.  The card would show up in windows explorer and DISKPART sees it fine.  I have been running chkdsk /f for the last hour and it is finding lots of corruption in the .tidal folder.  I hope there is a way to fix the card if not I will have to deal with the hassle of exchanging it.  

To be safe, I ran the second card through a complete h2testw cycle and it was fine.  I just now inserted that card into slot 1 and am now downloading my Tidal library again.  Hopefully tomorrow I will find my complete library downloaded and no corrupt files.  Bad luck I guess this time.  I've been using Samsung cards for the last few years without any issues and I haven't had a single one fail on me. 

Mind if I ask where you purchased your cards? I too am a fan of Samsung micro SD memory, but have had good and bad cards. The good one's I bought from Best Buy the bad ones from ebay & Amazon.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #6,074 of 16,326
Hopefully a reputable seller you can return it to!
Let us know how it goes with your remaining card.

The seller was Amazon and not some 3rd party.  I have already started the return process - I will have to mail them the old card and they are shipping me out a new one.  I hope they take the old one back because I already threw away the packaging.  I only have the card and the sd adapter.

I am checking the download of the Tidal library - it is writing to the card in slot 1 but when I check the internal memory it is getting filled up with Tidal data as well.  Storage in android settings show the internal memory is almost full but when I check with the dap connected to windows it shows that most of the internal memory is empty.  Hopefully it is just some cache data.

On another note, I installed USB Audio Pro app (something I've bought a while back).  It has Tidal support and allows me to use an EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back