ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 15, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #16,114 of 16,326
Got unlucky and my new dp-x1 is kinda busted. Got myself caught in a heavy rain with the device in my bag and it got pretty wet, so I went ahead and tried to soak all the moisture with rice and it's working fine now but the only problem is there's blue spots on the screen and the screen is slightly less responsive with random 'back' presses here and there. Anyone happen to know of a fix? In the meantime, I will leave it in rice and see if there’s any improvement over a couple of days

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #16,115 of 16,326
Ever since Tidal update 2.11.8 my DP-X1A and DP-CMX1 are experiencing Bluetooth issues using Tidal in my car.

Issue #1: The Tidal is playing on my DPX1A (counter is moving) but my car display says "device is paused", no music is playing.
Issue #2: If I manage to get Tidal playing (with audio) on my DP-CMX1 there is no song or album metadata on the cars display.

Other music apps work fine and I had to downgrade to Tidal 2.11.7 to make Tidal work again with Bluetooth in my car. :astonished:

IS anyone having issue with playing Tidal offline content via Bluetooth in their CAR using latest version of Tidal and Onkyo devices??? :angry:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #16,116 of 16,326
Ever since Tidal update 2.11.8 my DP-X1A and DP-CMX1 are experiencing Bluetooth issues using Tidal in my car.

Issue #1: The Tidal is playing on my DPX1A (counter is moving) but my car display says "device is paused", no music is playing.
Issue #2: If I manage to get Tidal playing (with audio) on my DP-CMX1 there is no song or album metadata on the cars display.

Other music apps work fine and I had to downgrade to Tidal 2.11.7 to make Tidal work again with Bluetooth in my car. :astonished:

IS anyone having issue with playing Tidal offline content via Bluetooth in their CAR using latest version of Tidal and Onkyo devices??? :angry:

I tried this today in my car and everything is working well. This is with the DAP-X1A and Tidal Offline. Google Play Music offline also works fine, as a variable check.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #16,117 of 16,326
I tried this today in my car and everything is working well. This is with the DAP-X1A and Tidal Offline. Google Play Music offline also works fine, as a variable check.

My DPX1A always connected and worked better in my car (with Bluetooth) than the DPCMX1.

The DPCMX1 gets stuck in "device is paused" and won't play.

My DPX1A was completely realible until that Tidal update, now it will connect and play, but no song metadata is showing. Just says "Track 1" for every song when using Tidal. Spotify works with no issues.

I am now using the Fiio M11 as my in car music player.

What Tidal version are you running? Also, my car is a 2015 C-class with command.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #16,118 of 16,326
My DPX1A always connected and worked better in my car (with Bluetooth) than the DPCMX1.

I am now using the Fiio M11 as my in car music player.

What Tidal version are you running? Also, my car is a 2015 C-class with command.

My car is a 2016 Nissan Maxima and the Tidal version is 2.12.2.920.6. I can try in my wife's car later but hers is also a Nissan with the same entertainment system.

I also just got the Fiio M11 and am going to test the Bluetooth sometime today or tomorrow.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #16,119 of 16,326
My car is a 2016 Nissan Maxima and the Tidal version is 2.12.2.920.6. I can try in my wife's car later but hers is also a Nissan with the same entertainment system.

I also just got the Fiio M11 and am going to test the Bluetooth sometime today or tomorrow.

Ok same version. I am glad it works for you.

Sadly, the DPX1A sounds great when it was working properly in my car. I think it sounds a bit better than the Fiio M11 when playing the same song and using tidal. Although, I might be a bit biased.

None of them can beat the DPCMX1 in sound quality when using the same Bluetooth headphones to compare. The bass drops so smooth with the DPCMX1, its a shame.

That's why I am mad it doesn't work properly in my car. I now only use the dpcmx1 as my gym device and for travelling.

I also just tried Spotify for the first time. Wow, that application is miles ahead of Tidal on features, settings and ease of use.

The only issue is that Tidal music downloads sound much better than Spotify music, even with the quality settings on highest.

I will wait until the next couple of Tidal updates to see if my Onkyo in car Bluetooth issues go away.

*Fingers crossed*

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #16,120 of 16,326
Ok same version. I am glad it works for you.

Sadly, the DPX1A sounds great when it was working properly in my car. I think it sounds a bit better than the Fiio M11 when playing the same song and using tidal. Although, I might be a bit biased.

None of them can beat the DPCMX1 in sound quality when using the same Bluetooth headphones to compare. The bass drops so smooth with the DPCMX1, its a shame.

I tried the m11 and dpx1a back to back with wired headphones in balanced mode and couldn't hear much of a difference, which is good because I always liked the sound of the dpx1a. I haven't used them too much in Bluetooth mode myself. Is the DPCMX1 better sound quality in Bluetooth and wired modes?

Hope there's an easy fix for you! I wonder if there's a Bluetooth firmware update or something for the device that might kick it back into better functioning mode.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #16,121 of 16,326
I tried the m11 and dpx1a back to back with wired headphones in balanced mode and couldn't hear much of a difference, which is good because I always liked the sound of the dpx1a. I haven't used them too much in Bluetooth mode myself. Is the DPCMX1 better sound quality in Bluetooth and wired modes?

Hope there's an easy fix for you! I wonder if there's a Bluetooth firmware update or something for the device that might kick it back into better functioning mode.

Sadly, new Firmware updates for the Onkyo devices are dead in the water.:angry:

I recently had the dealer update my cars command unit firmware. Did not fix the issue.

I also went to a random car dealership and tried the DPCMX1 on a different 2015 c class. Same issues.

All i know is everything was fine before Tidal version 2.11.8.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #16,122 of 16,326
That's a bummer. I hate when updates break what was working so well previously. The version of Tidal that I installed on my m11 is a slightly higher version, 2.13 I think, so maybe there's some hope? I'm not smart enough to know how each app implements the Bluetooth codecs, but I take it other apps stream just fine?

Jun 17, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #16,123 of 16,326
That's a bummer. I hate when updates break what was working so well previously. The version of Tidal that I installed on my m11 is a slightly higher version, 2.13 I think, so maybe there's some hope? I'm not smart enough to know how each app implements the Bluetooth codecs, but I take it other apps stream just fine?

The workaround for the "device is paused" issue is to open the Bluetooth settings, find my "MB Bluetooth" connection, then turn toggle "Media" profile off, then back on.

That makes the Tidal application start playing on the head unit, but I also have a no song metadata issue. *sigh* :alien:

The android app "Bluetooth Auto Connect" can also toggle the media profile for me.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #16,124 of 16,326
The workaround for the "device is paused" issue is to open the Bluetooth settings, find my "MB Bluetooth" connection, then turn toggle "Media" profile off, then back on.

That makes the Tidal application start playing on the head unit, but I also have a no song metadata issue. *sigh* :alien:

The android app "Bluetooth Auto Connect" can also toggle the media profile for me.

Womp womp. I am guessing a lot of that has to do with how the car receives the bluetooth. My car sometimes refuses to show data from my phone but it's hit and miss. I bet that most cars use a pretty outdated version of bluetooth protocols as they have to get everything approved years ahead of time. So whatever is happening with the phones and updates there eclipse what auto manufacturers can and will do to models as they age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back