ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #15,781 of 16,326
Hello !

I also sometimes use my DP-X with a Bluetooth Sony mdr 1000x connection.

-- I do not think the DP-X uses aptx HD codec but rather aptx, without the HD; double check. But I personally think the difference does not often matter with many Bluetooth headphones used in a noisy environment, while moving at home etc.
I would nevertheless hope a aptx HD codec in one next firmware release. But the aptx codec is proprietary and I do not know if there needs to be a change in the hardware... Same with LDAC from Sony.

-- In my case, my Bluetooth connection is weak. It works well between my Sony mdr 1000x and my phone. The link between the mdr 1000x and DP-X is nevertheless still usable and not such a big deal but it can get annoying in some rare cases:
I sometimes lose the connection when just moving my head from one side to another. The antennas of the DP-X and my headphones are interfered by my head. Another example: the connection can be lost if the DP-X is inside a bag carried the one hand opposite from the headphone's antenna. I need to carry my bag on the other hand. My body interferes the connection and I can swear you here that I am not made of metal; just water. :)
Losing the connection means I get compression glitches, sometimes until I move the device closer to the headphones. Bluetooth pairing does not get lost.

Would this weakness come from the heavy metallic material, or for saving the weak batteries. It is maybe the same story with Wifi.

The DP-X is indeed primarily designed for wire connection. But on another hand, such an expensive device should offer proper connections although I totally understand this is not a priority.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #15,782 of 16,326
I have Oppo HA-2SE and have just received Onkyo DP-X1A. Even though I did increase gain on Onkyo to maximum I still am not satisfied with how it drives my Oppo PM1 and PM3. Oppo HA-2SE is where PM1 really shines. Though I didn't try balanced yet, both balance cables for PM1/3 are on the way. Did you move forward with getting another DAC for your PM1 or purchased Oppo HA-2SE? Now that they stopped producing new models this is the latest one you will ever get.

Didn't you get a phase problem with the Oppo PM3 in balanced mode ? Give a try with a mono soundfile, or two channels with the same signal, and see if the image is centered.
I have this issue and I doubt it comes from my balanced cable (direct 4 PIN a-a, b-b, c-c, d-d). I do not understand and would love if somebody could try on his side.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #15,783 of 16,326
Didn't you get a phase problem with the Oppo PM3 in balanced mode ? Give a try with a mono soundfile, or two channels with the same signal, and see if the image is centered.
I have this issue and I doubt it comes from my balanced cable (direct 4 PIN a-a, b-b, c-c, d-d). I do not understand and would love if somebody could try on his side.

I don't have balanced cable yet

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #15,784 of 16,326
Hello !

I also sometimes use my DP-X with a Bluetooth Sony mdr 1000x connection.

-- I do not think the DP-X uses aptx HD codec but rather aptx, without the HD; double check. But I personally think the difference does not often matter with many Bluetooth headphones used in a noisy environment, while moving at home etc.
I would nevertheless hope a aptx HD codec in one next firmware release. But the aptx codec is proprietary and I do not know if there needs to be a change in the hardware... Same with LDAC from Sony.

-- In my case, my Bluetooth connection is weak. It works well between my Sony mdr 1000x and my phone. The link between the mdr 1000x and DP-X is nevertheless still usable and not such a big deal but it can get annoying in some rare cases:
I sometimes lose the connection when just moving my head from one side to another. The antennas of the DP-X and my headphones are interfered by my head. Another example: the connection can be lost if the DP-X is inside a bag carried the one hand opposite from the headphone's antenna. I need to carry my bag on the other hand. My body interferes the connection and I can swear you here that I am not made of metal; just water. :)
Losing the connection means I get compression glitches, sometimes until I move the device closer to the headphones. Bluetooth pairing does not get lost.

Would this weakness come from the heavy metallic material, or for saving the weak batteries. It is maybe the same story with Wifi.

The DP-X is indeed primarily designed for wire connection. But on another hand, such an expensive device should offer proper connections although I totally understand this is not a priority.

You might want to try your DP-X with another pair of Bluetooth head phones to see if the issue is with DP-X and not your 1000x.
As far as I know aptx vs apts HD is the hardware difference, I might be wrong though. However I believe you (or me) will hardly be able to notice the difference between aptx and aptx HD :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #15,786 of 16,326
You might want to try your DP-X with another pair of Bluetooth head phones to see if the issue is with DP-X and not your 1000x.
As far as I know aptx vs apts HD is the hardware difference, I might be wrong though. However I believe you (or me) will hardly be able to notice the difference between aptx and aptx HD :)

I have no problem between my phone and my 1000x. So I guess it comes from the DP-X. But I should indeed try with another pair of Bluetooth headphones.
Thanks !

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #15,787 of 16,326
If you're concerned with using the Tidal feature of UAPP, you can download and install the actual Tidal Android app on your DP-X1.
I haven't tried Tidal, since they focus on modern popular music that doesn't interest me at all (my preference is Traditional Celtic and Renaissance Festival music; and classic Christian Music).
Got in the order for my X1a and waiting for it to ship then another 1-5 days before I get it in hands. Curious as to what artists you listen in terms of classic Christian. I could certainly use some recommendations to while I wait. My collection consists of Contemporary Christian, currently some 900 ish tracks over 40 years.

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #15,788 of 16,326
Hello.

Is the line out of DP-X1A a ”real” line out or it just maximizes the volume? Cause I tought what line out do is that it shuts off the amp/amps and the output will be a weak signal that directly comes from the dacs. Am I wrong?

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #15,789 of 16,326
Hello.

Is the line out of DP-X1A a ”real” line out or it just maximizes the volume? Cause I tought what line out do is that it shuts off the amp/amps and the output will be a weak signal that directly comes from the dacs. Am I wrong?

Doing a search within this thread, there are several references to the Line Out mode - and that it sets the amplifier output to maximum, rather than having a separate preamp output.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #15,790 of 16,326
Got in the order for my X1a and waiting for it to ship then another 1-5 days before I get it in hands. Curious as to what artists you listen in terms of classic Christian. I could certainly use some recommendations to while I wait. My collection consists of Contemporary Christian, currently some 900 ish tracks over 40 years.

PM sent.

Jul 28, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #15,791 of 16,326
Doing a search within this thread, there are several references to the Line Out mode - and that it sets the amplifier output to maximum, rather than having a separate preamp output.

Aha thanks. Sorry I guess I was just lazy.

But whats the point of having a line out button when you just can turn up the volume to max instead?
So if I want to connect a DAP to an amp I should forget the dp-x1?

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #15,792 of 16,326
Aha thanks. Sorry I guess I was just lazy.

But whats the point of having a line out button when you just can turn up the volume to max instead?
So if I want to connect a DAP to an amp I should forget the dp-x1?

No, it has a very good, clean analog output section.
Since the analog section of the DAC chips in the DAPs are running from the 5.0VDC rail, that means they can only deliver a maximum Line Out of ~1.8VRMS (without considering any drops from series protection resistors).
To deliver a higher Line Out voltage, requires an amplifier circuit, operating from a voltage that's higher than 5.0VDC.
Due to space, and power consumption constraints, most of the portable devices use the same amplifier that drives the headphone output jack.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #15,793 of 16,326
No, it has a very good, clean analog output section.
Since the analog section of the DAC chips in the DAPs are running from the 5.0VDC rail, that means they can only deliver a maximum Line Out of ~1.8VRMS (without considering any drops from series protection resistors).
To deliver a higher Line Out voltage, requires an amplifier circuit, operating from a voltage that's higher than 5.0VDC.
Due to space, and power consumption constraints, most of the portable devices use the same amplifier that drives the headphone output jack.

Oh man I wish I understood you. I feel so stupid.

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #15,795 of 16,326
Oh man I wish I understood you. I feel so stupid.

Just pointing out that few portable devices have a separate, fixed level, Line Output - most do the same thing that Onkyo is doing, and set the headphone amplifier output level to maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back