ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 21, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #15,664 of 16,326
So after 2 years with my dp-x1 my balanced jack finally went x(.

Is the improvements to the jack of the x1a much better or am I better off looking for a different (or better....if there is one) DAP?

I believe that physically, the 2.5mm TRRS jacks are the same on the DP-X1B (first model), and DP-X1A (new model) - and that they only changed the case bezel around the jacks.
There's at least one report that the DP-X1A works with earphone cables having an inline Mic (the forum member was able to use Skype) - so the 3.5mm jack is now also a TRRS type.

May 21, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #15,665 of 16,326

Is the improvements to the jack of the x1a much better or am I better off looking for a different (or better....if there is one) DAP?
I believe that physically, the 2.5mm TRRS jacks are the same on the DP-X1B (first model), and DP-X1A (new model) - and that they only changed the case bezel around the jacks.
There's at least one report that the DP-X1A works with earphone cables having an inline Mic (the forum member was able to use Skype) - so the 3.5mm jack is now also a TRRS type.
Nope. They're not TRRS type. If it is. My N40 mic cable in android mode should have worked.

May 22, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #15,666 of 16,326
Nope. They're not TRRS type. If it is. My N40 mic cable in android mode should have worked.

Did you try Skype, with an inline Mic cable plugged into the DP-X1A?
I don't think Inline Music Controls (Play/Pause/FWD/REW) work, but that one forum member did mention being able to talk via Skype.

May 22, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #15,667 of 16,326

Better but still fragile. I broke it on the X1A in the past accidentally as well - that was my own fault but still need to be careful with it.

May 22, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #15,668 of 16,326
Better but still fragile. I broke it on the X1A in the past accidentally as well - that was my own fault but still need to be careful with it.

Which goes back to my original post - it's such a stunner, yet sharp angled, and I'm really keen to get a protective case for it which does it justice, is there nothing out there other than the leatherette horror show from Onkyo?

May 22, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #15,669 of 16,326

There is a place where you can send it in and they will redo both jacks for a fair price and its way cheaper than buying a new DAP. Just search this thread.

May 22, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #15,670 of 16,326
Did you try Skype, with an inline Mic cable plugged into the DP-X1A?
I don't think Inline Music Controls (Play/Pause/FWD/REW) work, but that one forum member did mention being able to talk via Skype.
Weird. I cannot make it work. And in the dpx1a manual it said "Use a 4-conductor plug for the 2.5 mm diameter headphone jack of this unit, and use a 3-conductor plug for the 3.5 diameter headphone jack. The jacks are not compatible with microphone input." He lied. Beside. Who on earth would need that mic function on a DAP?

May 24, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #15,672 of 16,326
I've opened up an XDP-300R and changed the DAC/Amp to repair the jack. However if i could source the correct jack it would have been quite straight forward to replace it. They're surface mounted so you'd be better using a hot air station.
If anyone can confirm a source for the jack components, both 2.5mm and 3.5mm I'd be grateful.

Below is a link to the XDP-300R page with some instructions on how to get inside the unit.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pio...icrosd-wifi-aptx.821830/page-64#post-13715867

So you ended up having to swap out the whole PCB in your xdp? I've had the XDP 100R for the last couple years but the headphone jack has gotten so loose that holding it upside down on a heavy cable causes it to just fall out. Still my favorite DAP ive ever owned so I would love to just repair the jack, but im worried about not having a part to replace it and it's still my daily driver :frowning2:

May 24, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #15,673 of 16,326
So you ended up having to swap out the whole PCB in your xdp? I've had the XDP 100R for the last couple years but the headphone jack has gotten so loose that holding it upside down on a heavy cable causes it to just fall out. Still my favorite DAP ive ever owned so I would love to just repair the jack, but im worried about not having a part to replace it and it's still my daily driver :frowning2:
Yeah I bought a spares unit and used the whole PCB.

May 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #15,675 of 16,326

Users who are viewing this thread

Back