Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,336 of 1,608
Ok...I'm sorry for the stupid questions.

I've never had a player that was able to read ReplayGain info before - in the past, I just used to convert my FLAC's through foobar, with the RG info applied during the processing - permanently altering the files.

Now that I the XDP-30R has the capability what steps do I need to ensure that the RG info is being read?

I have applied the info to certain files - but when turning on the RG option included with the latest firmware update, I am not noticing any difference at all in the volume. The mp3's are certainly LOUDER, because I am starting with fresh rips from my FLAC files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!!

Michael

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #1,337 of 1,608
Never mind...I'm not thinking straight. While I was applying the RG info to the FLAC files, I wasn't applying it to converted MP3's. Haven't tested to make sure, but I'm postive that's the problem!

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #1,339 of 1,608
Posted this discovery in the Mobius thread this morning.

USB Digital out to the Audeze Mobius works great!

IMG_20180908_095422.jpg

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,341 of 1,608
What is this case? I am looking for desent case for my new 30r.

It's the Onkyo branded case. Probably won't for the pioneer but they make a version of it for that one

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,342 of 1,608
I can't remember if the Pioneer supported MSQ format before, but after the fw upgrade it seems it does. If you look at the licenses section under settings, you see reference to MSQ. I cannot test, as I have no MSQ files.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,343 of 1,608
Hi, i've just recently got this DP-S1 DAP for myself and i was surprised by its sound. It has a detailed and clear sound but somehow its soundstage isnt wide enough, especially in comparison to my Blackberry Classic. And the vocal seems to be little bit forced and not natural to my ears. It made me wonder if it's worth the price or not. And by the way, i was listening on the 3.5mm jack cuz you know, i was A/B listening with a phone. Does anyone know how to increase the soundstage for this piece cuz im thinking about selling it?

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,345 of 1,608
And by the way, i was listening on the 3.5mm jack cuz you know, i was A/B listening with a phone. Does anyone know how to increase the soundstage for this piece cuz im thinking about selling it?

If you go balanced, the soundstage may increase a bit. If you don't already have stuff terminated in 2.5mm, that may not be worth the trouble for something you're already on the fence about, though.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,346 of 1,608
If you go balanced, the soundstage may increase a bit. If you don't already have stuff terminated in 2.5mm, that may not be worth the trouble for something you're already on the fence about, though.
I've tried some 2.5mm balanced cables before but i couldnt say anything because those cables were superior to mine, of course i noticed some differences. So i ordered a 2.5mm jack from my friend and swapped them by myself to see how much the 2.5mm improvement is and my impression is.....nothing much. Soundstage?....idk, yeah it's bigger but bigger like a little bit. More detailed?...idk also, cuz i dont have the 3.5mm here to A/B test them simultaneouly. Cant believe this DAP used to be over 400$, what made them so expensive like that? Thankfully, i got mine just around 170$.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,347 of 1,608
I've tried some 2.5mm balanced cables before but i couldnt say anything because those cables were superior to mine, of course i noticed some differences. So i ordered a 2.5mm jack from my friend and swapped them by myself to see how much the 2.5mm improvement is and my impression is.....nothing much. Soundstage?....idk, yeah it's bigger but bigger like a little bit. More detailed?...idk also, cuz i dont have the 3.5mm here to A/B test them simultaneouly. Cant believe this DAP used to be over 400$, what made them so expensive like that? Thankfully, i got mine just around 170$.

Yeah, balanced changes are generally subtle, unless the device has unusually poorly implemented single-ended output. If you are experimenting with the balanced, do make sure to try both "balanced" and "active control ground" modes. (Although again, differences will be subtle.)

I think the DP-S1 is a good value under $200, but yeah, I don't the original price is warranted.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,350 of 1,608
Hi all, I have a question regarding the attached firmware files in the ZIP. I find here two different versions. For a German player which one should I use, with or without *_N*?
I would put all of the files on the SD card and let the player decide what it should do.

Alternatively, if you have a reliable WiFi and internet connection, connect the player to your WiFi and let the player do the update on line. It's what I do and seems a reliable method. I would ensure the barttery is charged and I would leave it the player connected via USB to the charging source for the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back