Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,291 of 1,608
Does this have the problematical loose headphone jacks like its elder sibling, the DP-X1A? Thanks.
My xdp30r has been ok on both jacks for the 14 months, no problems with it at all.

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,292 of 1,608
Does this have the problematical loose headphone jacks like its elder sibling, the DP-X1A? Thanks.

For me... yes. Not horrible, but annoying at times. Hardly a deal breaker.
On the DP-S1.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #1,294 of 1,608
late in the game but just got one! the price was too good to pass up! :deadhorse: :ksc75smile:

Care to share where and how much you're getting? I may consider getting one if the price is really too good to pass up (for me). :gs1000smile:
Thanks.

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #1,295 of 1,608
Hello,
can anybody give me a hint für the pathes in m3u playlists for sd cards? Have a look below....
When I try to import playlists, I will get an error with no more information...
Thank you very much

Hello,
does anybody know how to set path in playlist for Pioneer XDP-30R?
I tried several pathes for sd cards, but importing playlist will result in an error.
For example:
/sd1/Blues/Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado/Songs From The Road_HiRes_FLAC_24bit_44100Hz/1-02_Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado_Paradise.flac
/sd2/Blues/Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble/Couldn't Stand The Weather (Remastered)_HiRes_FLAC_24bit_88200Hz/1-06_Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble_Tin Pan Alley (AKA Roughest Place in Town).flac
But this will not work.
Any other ideas?
Google search did not find any further information...
Thanks

I use Windows and export my playlist from JRiver. The following works for me when importing the M3U file.

Case 1 - If all of the tracks for a Playlist is located on the same SD card
  1. Export or create your playlist in M3U format
  2. The path of each track should start from the root directory and with each subfolder separated by a backslash "\". For example my root directory is "Music" so my path looks like this:
    Music\Album Artist\Album\Track file. In the quote above, the correct path is "Blues\Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado/Songs From The Road_HiRes_FLAC_24bit_44100Hz\1-02_Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado_Paradise.flac"
  3. Copy your M3U playlist file to the root directory of the SD card that contains the tracks
  4. Use the Playlist import option in the Playlist menu and it should import
  5. Once you confirmed the import, you can delete the M3U file from the root directory.
Case 2 - On your original device the Playlist tracks are all in one directory, but you have copied all your tracks across 2 SD cards in the DP-S1
  1. Copy the M3U file to your SD Card 1
  2. Follow steps 1-4 in Case 1 above
  3. Only the tracks that are located on SD Card will appear in the new playlist
  4. Delete the M3U file on SD Card 1
  5. Copy the original M3U file to your SD Card 2
  6. Follow steps 1-4 in Case 1 above
  7. When you import it will create another playlist with the same title with a "1" appended at the end, with only the tracks that are located in SD Card 2
  8. From the playlist select the 3 dot menu of the playlist with the "1"
  9. You will see a "+" option which allows you to add tracks from another playlist
  10. Once you select "+" select the same playlist without the "1" and that will merge the tracks to the one playlist
  11. Delete the playlist with the "1"
Not the easiest workflow when importing playlists and you have tracks on both SD Cards, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick and easy. I must say, why it must be backslashes (Windows) instead of forward slashes (Linux and Mac OS) is weird considering the DP-S1 OS is Linux based.

Edit - corrected the merging playlist steps

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,296 of 1,608
I use Windows and export my playlist from JRiver. The following works for me when importing the M3U file.

Case 1 - If all of the tracks for a Playlist is located on the same SD card
  1. Export or create your playlist in M3U format
  2. The path of each track should start from the root directory and with each subfolder separated by a backslash "\". For example my root directory is "Music" so my path looks like this:
    Music\Album Artist\Album\Track file. In the quote above, the correct path is "Blues\Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado/Songs From The Road_HiRes_FLAC_24bit_44100Hz\1-02_Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado_Paradise.flac"
  3. Copy your M3U playlist file to the root directory of the SD card that contains the tracks
  4. Use the Playlist import option in the Playlist menu and it should import
  5. Once you confirmed the import, you can delete the M3U file from the root directory.
Case 2 - On your original device the Playlist tracks are all in one directory, but you have copied all your tracks across 2 SD cards in the DP-S1
  1. Copy the M3U file to your SD Card 1
  2. Follow steps 1-4 in Case 1 above
  3. Only the tracks that are located on SD Card will appear in the new playlist
  4. Delete the M3U file on SD Card 1
  5. Copy the original M3U file to your SD Card 2
  6. Follow steps 1-4 in Case 1 above
  7. When you import it will create another playlist with the same title with a "1" appended at the end, with only the tracks that are located in SD Card 2
  8. From the playlist select the 3 dot menu of the playlist with the "1"
  9. You will see a "+" option which allows you to add tracks from another playlist
  10. Once you select "+" select the same playlist without the "1" and that will merge the tracks to the one playlist
  11. Delete the playlist with the "1"
Not the easiest workflow when importing playlists and you have tracks on both SD Cards, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick and easy. I must say, why it must be backslashes (Windows) instead of forward slashes (Linux and Mac OS) is weird considering the DP-S1 OS is Linux based.

Edit - corrected the merging playlist steps

Hi,

thank you very much for your answer :)

For me it works with forward slashes.
And I had to put "#EXTM3U" into the first line.

I put all songs from my playlists on the first sd card :wink:
So all in all it works nice.
But Pioneer should improve work with playlists when tracks are on both sd cards :wink:

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,297 of 1,608
Hi,

thank you very much for your answer :)

For me it works with forward slashes.
And I had to put "#EXTM3U" into the first line.

I put all songs from my playlists on the first sd card :wink:
So all in all it works nice.
But Pioneer should improve work with playlists when tracks are on both sd cards :wink:

Definitely good to know about the backslash. I just use the default export file from JRiver in Windows and edited the path but left all of the "#" lines in. I thought those are only comment lines, but I guess DP-S1 needs those too.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,298 of 1,608
Waiting for my XDP-30R to show up.

About the microSD card expansion - can anyone confirm the biggest capacity micro SD cards that it will accept?

Is it really capped at 200gb per slot?

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,299 of 1,608

About the microSD card expansion - can anyone confirm the biggest capacity micro SD cards that it will accept?

I am using 400 GB x 2 with no issues at all. There is no reason to believe that the OS can't read up to the theoretical limit of 2 TB. It will be a while before micro sd cards reach that density though.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,300 of 1,608
I am using 400 GB x 2 with no issues at all. There is no reason to believe that the OS can't read up to the theoretical limit of 2 TB. It will be a while before micro sd cards reach that density though.

Glad to hear!

I am upgrading from a DX90 that I sold some time ago. Should I expect any improvements in sound quality? I was quite happy with the DX90's clarity, although the HM801 I had at the time sounded much more organic and realistic.

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #1,301 of 1,608
Glad to hear!

I am upgrading from a DX90 that I sold some time ago. Should I expect any improvements in sound quality? I was quite happy with the DX90's clarity, although the HM801 I had at the time sounded much more organic and realistic.

Sorry but I've never even heard of the DX90 so can't comment.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,302 of 1,608
Glad to hear!

I have both. I've owned the DX90 for a long time and still find it a very compelling DAP... truly great sound. To my ears, my Onkyo DP-S1 is very similar. Also very excellent sound, but the DP-S1 has many advantages over the DX90... 2-SD cards, MQA, ability to play higher resolution files, balanced out, etc.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed by the sound.

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #1,304 of 1,608

That's just the capacity that was available at release. I'm not sure why companies do that. I used 128 and 200GB with an original AK100 with no problem despite them suggesting in original marketing material that capacity was far lower than that. No problem.

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,305 of 1,608
Short version - if your device supports as least 64 GB SD Cards, it can support up to 2 TB.

More about SD card compatibility.
  • Micro SD cards are often called "TF" cards. The history is that the first micro sized card was called Trans Flash or "TF". While the physical size is similar and the pin outs are compatible, true TF cards max out at 128 GB. Even if a DAP spec states "TF card", just assume they mean micro SD since nobody has made TF cards since 2005.
  • Micro SD max capacity is determined by the following:
    • SD - 2 GB
    • SDHC - 32 GB
    • SDXC - 2 TB
  • SDXC spec came out in 2009 so any DAP from the past 5-6 years should be using that. However, there is more FUD because the data transfer spec for SDXC changed a few times in 2011 and 2016. The spec change has no impact to capacity and is purely an increase in data throughput which is more or less irrelevant for a DAP. You will see these faster cards labeled UHS-I or UHS-II. The device also needs to add in support for UHS in order to benefit from the increased throughput, but even if a devices doesn't, it is still fully backwards compatible.You pay more for faster cards, but for a DAP, it's really not necessary unless you are adding/removing audio tracks on a daily basis.
  • The highest capacity as of July 2018 for a Micro SD card is 400 GB and only offered by Sandisk. If you see any other brand or 512 GB cards on Amazon or eBay that are priced at a fraction of Sandisk, those are 100% guaranteed to be fake. These fakes are tricky - you will see 512 GB capacity due to a trick these fake companies do to the firmware inside the SD card, but the true capacity is 2-4 GB. As soon as you exceed the "true" capacity you will immediately see errors. Same is true for 256 GB micro SD cards. There are a couple legitimate cards from Sandisk, Samsung, and Lexar but again, a lot of fake cards out there.
  • While SD card capacity shouldn't be limited beyond what the SDXC standard allows, it is possible that the OS within a DAP may have a hard limit on how many files it can index. For example, the original AK100 cannot not show greater than 10K songs unless you use folder view. This is not a capacity limitation, so this can be fixed with an OS update.
Given all of the above, I can understand why some DAP companies want to spec what they have actually tested and confirmed versus theoretical capacity to avoid liability. Given the world wide market, I would imagine in some countries, the liability exposure is quite high. While this makes it a bit confusing when buying a DAP, it is orders of magnitude less than the huge mess with digital cameras where capacity and speed are critical.

8/6/18 Update - PNY has started shipping 512 GB micro SD cards. Pretty expensive though at $350.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back