Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
May 1, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #1,231 of 1,608
I've found that, with the Balanced output (and using the Twin DAC) it's unfortunately still skipping for some material if I have it all the way at "Narrow". But I can definitely get it to work (i.e. no skipping) with more stuff than when I was using the non-balanced output (single DAC). E.g. 24-bit / 44.1khz is now always fine.

Haven't tried DSF yet, but in any case, ONE setting away from the most Narrow (i.e. second most far right setting), works fine for pretty much all FLAC material so far.

And concur with bsoplinger and others above that I preferred the ACG mode. On a completely non-objective level, everything seemed more defined and rounder at the same time. Just less fatiguing to listen to. YMMV.

May 1, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,232 of 1,608
Been listening to several MQA downloads.
ACG seems to provide a slightly wider soundstage and better defined positioning (no clue why, it just seems that way), and the sound seems ‘fuller’.

I’ve never had a skipping issue. Even with files up to 192k, or MQA. Setting is dead center... normal.

May 2, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #1,233 of 1,608
Is there a closed and cheap case for this item ? I think of some kind of "hard mesh" like these for external harddisks. I could find one for my Plenue D that is very inexpensive and fits perfectly.
Something like this
image.php
I 'd like to find the same for DPS1/XDP30R...
No one uses a case like this ? Or did nobody find one that fits ? :frowning2:

May 2, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #1,235 of 1,608
Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,236 of 1,608
Indeed...
I have reviewed a lot of items on Amazon and EBay, they all seem to be a tad too small, or too big like yours... I didn't buy such a small DAP to carry it in a big case... :frowning2:
I wonder what do you use, all of you that have bought the Rubato/Private ???

If you are looking for general responses - I do not use a case. DP-S1 is small, fairly robust, but also feels quite 'cheap' in that I have never felt a desire to keep it pristine. These factors combined mean that I see no point in having a case for it, but every person is different - so others may. I would also add that I got mine cheaply from Amazon Japan back when they were around 18,000 yen (£120 / $160) - so it has never felt too 'premium'.

If you are really in love with the idea of getting a case, particularly one that isn't too big for the device - get the official Onkyo one. It is expensive though, given what it is. I would personally prefer keeping mine without a case so that it is as small as possible, and if it gets the odd scratch its not too big a deal for me.

May 3, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,237 of 1,608
interesting that people say they prefer ACG to Balanced. i got a balanced cable yesterday and didn't even realize i had to select balanced and not just plug it into 2.5mm for it to work.

Listening today, yes, ACG does seem louder but that's because i think the channel separation is so drastic, you definitely hear as you're in the middle of the stage during a performance (some instruments play on the left or right (listening to suzie q in dsd format)), where's in balanced mode it feels like you're sitting infront of the stage and everything is in true stereo as you would perceive it in a live audition.

not sure which i like better, but honestly ACG is starting feel a lot more 'draining' now.

May 3, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,238 of 1,608
interesting that people say they prefer ACG to Balanced. i got a balanced cable yesterday and didn't even realize i had to select balanced and not just plug it into 2.5mm for it to work.

Listening today, yes, ACG does seem louder but that's because i think the channel separation is so drastic, you definitely hear as you're in the middle of the stage during a performance (some instruments play on the left or right (listening to suzie q in dsd format)), where's in balanced mode it feels like you're sitting infront of the stage and everything is in true stereo as you would perceive it in a live audition.

not sure which i like better, but honestly ACG is starting feel a lot more 'draining' now.

Interesting... that isn't my experience. I found the volume levels between ACG and Balanced to be nearly identical. On my DP-S1, the differences are in sound quality and sonics.
Also, oddly enough, I find ACG to be slightly less 'fatiguing' than Balanced.
Almost an exactly opposite experience from yours. :)

May 3, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,239 of 1,608
maybe i have a faulty unit or a crappy cable? My setup is this cable i got from Amazon mated to Sony MDR1

ACG definitely has very specific channel separation, where in Balanced mode it seems to blend everything to stereo. Vocals for me are more muted in this balanced mode, perhaps not really muted but more moved to the background. again, the best way i can describe this is that with ACG you're in the middle of the stage where in balanced mode you're facing the stage.

Interesting... that isn't my experience. I found the volume levels between ACG and Balanced to be nearly identical. On my DP-S1, the differences are in sound quality and sonics.
Also, oddly enough, I find ACG to be slightly less 'fatiguing' than Balanced.
Almost an exactly opposite experience from yours. :)

May 3, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #1,241 of 1,608
There is more than one "standard" way of wiring a TRRS connection to balanced headphones. If your cable is not what is expected, strange things may happen...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/3-5mm-and-2-5mm-trrs-balanced-cable-questions.869527

Is it possible there's more than one way to wire a 2.5mm TRRS connection?

Certainly possible.

Right now I'm using this straight to the IEM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Q18GZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tomorrow I receive a Surf cable, and we'll see if that yields different results for me.

May 11, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #1,242 of 1,608
thought i would give a quick update: i'm not sure if it was the MDR1As or the cable that i bought, but there was definitely something "off". i'm saying this now because i was fortunate to upgrade to Sony Z7s and running those in balanced mode there is much greater improvement and i would say much less difference between the balanced and AKG modes that i was experiencing with the MDR1A in balance mode.

May 16, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,243 of 1,608
Hello,
does anybody know how to set path in playlist for Pioneer XDP-30R?
I tried several pathes for sd cards, but importing playlist will result in an error.
For example:
/sd1/Blues/Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado/Songs From The Road_HiRes_FLAC_24bit_44100Hz/1-02_Thorbjorn Risager and The Black Tornado_Paradise.flac
/sd2/Blues/Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble/Couldn't Stand The Weather (Remastered)_HiRes_FLAC_24bit_88200Hz/1-06_Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble_Tin Pan Alley (AKA Roughest Place in Town).flac
But this will not work.
Any other ideas?
Google search did not find any further information...
Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back