Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,201 of 1,608
Nice.
I really feel this DAP doesn't get the attention it deserves. Few, if any DAPs can be all things to all people, but this one has all the features I need, nearly all that I want, and a sound quality that is perfect to my ears. I agree that it is a neutral presentation without sterility or harshness. A mostly well-built device with a very serviceable UI (again, very minor gripes, only).
It's my daily use / commute device that goes with me everywhere.
Its Tidal implementation is garbage and its Wi-Fi is nearly useless. Those are literally my only gripes. If they can get it to show more than the first 100 or so albums in my Tidal collection (and stop logging me out with the "incorrect username/password" garbage error) and keep a stable Wi-Fi connection when I'm 15-20 feet from my router this device would be an absolute giant-killer. Why can't they fix these things? At what point did it become OK for companies to release products that only kind of work?

Aside from that I use it every day.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,202 of 1,608
Its Tidal implementation is garbage and its Wi-Fi is nearly useless. Those are literally my only gripes. If they can get it to show more than the first 100 or so albums in my Tidal collection (and stop logging me out with the "incorrect username/password" garbage error) and keep a stable Wi-Fi connection when I'm 15-20 feet from my router this device would be an absolute giant-killer. Why can't they fix these things? At what point did it become OK for companies to release products that only kind of work?

Aside from that I use it every day.

And... funny as it may be, I never use WiFi or Tidal. I thought that I might when I bought it, but have only turned on the WiFi once, and that was to update the Firmware... which worked flawlessly.

The biggest feature upgrades for me from my DX-90 are the dual SD slots and ability to play virtually any file I have. To be able to carry half a terabyte of hi-res music, and to play any of it so well is a very good thing for me.

Maybe one day I'll try Tidal... but then again...

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,204 of 1,608
I also ‘upgraded’ from a dx90 to the Pioneer. The size is great, amazing how they stuffed two chips in there. Agree that the wifi is pretty weak but coming from a DAP that has none, its great to have. Firmware upgrades over the air is easy, so long as I am close to the router. Streaming works but patchy, still the sound quality from Tidal is pretty decent.

Bluetooth works ok but a higher bit codec would have been even better. The DuoRemote software works ok but lacks in features. Only basic commands like playback and volume control. Why no browsing of files for example? :wink:

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,205 of 1,608
Here it is with the XDSD.
20180424_162433_HDR.jpg

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,207 of 1,608
Apr 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,209 of 1,608
Exact same footprint of the dp-s1. The sound is amazing and I'm really happy with it so far. No issues with Wi-Fi or anything thus far. I still prefer the sound of its big brother, the DP-X1.

So it looks...
Just a bit confused by your last statement... You prefer the sound of the DP-X1 to the XDSD?

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,211 of 1,608
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #1,213 of 1,608
I was in a hurry..

I prefer the sound of my DP-X1 to the DP-S1 but the XDSD is on par with DP-X1 but a bit early to tell. I just got the XDSD (and DP-S1) so I need some more time with it. Great devices, however.

And that makes perfect sense. :wink:
Thanks for clarifying.
It says a lot for the DP-X1 sound.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,214 of 1,608
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,215 of 1,608
It looks like I may have a firmware revison that is out of date as I am still missing MQA too even though it tells me no newer firmware is available. I loaded the 1.20 to a card and tried manually but it doesnt even give me the option to load from the SD (greyed out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back