Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Feb 16, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #976 of 1,608
I see no chance that DLNA would be added. It's not trivial to add, espcially if it includes a DLNA controller as well as a renderer (which it really would need to have), and it places extra demands on the WiFi reliabilty which is already not as good as it really should be. If you need DLNA I would look elswhere.

Thank you. Not really a need, but will be a big bonus, recently I started to discover this feature with the mobile, but with two card slots, balanced...etc at this price we can't ask too much more.

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #979 of 1,608
Just wondering if it is possible to use DP-S1 or XDP-30R as usb-dac for a laptop? Thanks.

I read in Stereolux that it is capable to function as a usb-dac but I also heard that the latest firmwares took away such a feature.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #982 of 1,608
Usually, for a headphone to be able to be used balanced, it will have cables attached to both the right and left side. Most likely the Momentums are not wired internally for a balanced connection. Also, you should not ever try connecting to regular "single ended" headphone to a balanced connection, via an adapter. This shorts the right and left grounds together, which can damage the amplifier it is connected to.

The regular 3.5 mm (single ended) output of the player will work just fine with your Momentums.
Thanks. This info is very useful to me since I have these phones.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #985 of 1,608
Does anyone have the same problem like me that the dp-s1 slightly blows up the bass when you turn on the Hi-Bit 32 function? The bass gets a little thicker an sound less controlled. Can someone test this?
I wouldn't say it was a problem, but there is a difference. Listening with Westone ES60's in the balanced mode with the Hi-Bit 32 off i would say there is more detail with the bass. With it on the bass is enhanced in volume and not as defined. I couldn't tell you which one is better thats up to the user. I hadn't tried using the 32 Bit function before but I hear differences between the ACG and Balanced mode. I prefer the Balanced over ACG. It presents a wider sound stage to my ears.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #986 of 1,608
I asked this in the deals thread because there was a deal posted there for the Onkyo. But I've realized that it'd be better to ask here:
Went and looked at the info on this player. Other than the ability to use Bluetooth to play high quality streaming music from Tidal and the like, what does it provide over say a $100 player like the Fiio or Hidizs (or the many others at about $100). Ie, why was it a $500 player? I scanned through the whole thread here and there was almost no talk about features or sound. Just firmware updates, playing exotic, expensive high res formats and lots about the 2 way Bluetooth.

Seriously I don't understand why this is a $500 player, at least when released, and not say a $150 player. I guess I just don't understand enough about what I'm reading in this thread to get 'it,' whatever it is.

Can I impose on someone to give me a paragraph about what I'm just not getting?

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #987 of 1,608
I asked this in the deals thread because there was a deal posted there for the Onkyo. But I've realized that it'd be better to ask here:

Seriously I don't understand why this is a $500 player, at least when released, and not say a $150 player. I guess I just don't understand enough about what I'm reading in this thread to get 'it,' whatever it is.

The sound quality is very good. True, at $500, it might not be, but the value proposition at $200 is excellent. The main thing you get is dual 9018 DAC's with balanced output and selectable filters which can be a considerable step up in sound quality over unbalanced. For me, Being able to play my favorite radio stations via TuneIn is also a big benefit while I am away from my home country. Dual SD card slots is also a bonus, and at this point would give you up to 800GB of flash storage.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #988 of 1,608

Not a bad question, but as MrSlim points out, the pricepoint now is $250 on Amazon. For that, this player packs quite a bit of features. I own the Hidizs AP-60II, and while for half the price the Hidizs is simply remarkable, it does not play MQA files including Tidal MQA streaming (which are very important to some). Dual DAC's, Balanced out, two SD slots... so yes it's more money, but there are several more features gained. Obviously if one decides none of these features are important, then the Hidizs is perhaps the better choice.

One thing however... the sound of the Onkyo is superior to the Hidizs. It's a more neutral, with greater separation and imaging. The sound on the Hidizs is excellent (and continues to impress me), but the Onkyo is still more refined and dynamic.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #989 of 1,608
I own the Hidizs AP60 MKII and the Shanling M1 also and both are rather similar feature-wise although I feel that I like the sound from the Hidizs a bit more because it just seems to have a tiny amount more extension at the spectrum extremes. I understand that more expensive players can have better specs and that at some point in audio you're spending twice to get that ½% better sound but I don't think moving up from the under $150 mostly fully featured DAPs is that point yet. But since $180 (the current best deal price) is a lot for me I wanted perhaps nothing more than someone to pat me on the head and say its OK you'll find you'll be happy with the purchase because there really is a difference.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #990 of 1,608
I own the Hidizs AP60 MKII and the Shanling M1 also and both are rather similar feature-wise although I feel that I like the sound from the Hidizs a bit more because it just seems to have a tiny amount more extension at the spectrum extremes. I understand that more expensive players can have better specs and that at some point in audio you're spending twice to get that ½% better sound but I don't think moving up from the under $150 mostly fully featured DAPs is that point yet. But since $180 (the current best deal price) is a lot for me I wanted perhaps nothing more than someone to pat me on the head and say its OK you'll find you'll be happy with the purchase because there really is a difference.

Hahaha... Sorry my friend, I don't think you'll find any head patting around here. Not from me anyway... too risky. :cold_sweat:
The extra paid by me was worth it for one reason alone... dual SD slots. The better sound and features are just icing on the cake. Not everybody will feel the same way about it. Some won't care about these differences, and so won't think the extra is worth spending.

But here's the thing... I bought the Hidizs for working out. It has blown me away with its features, sound, UI, etc. It's amazing, especially for the cost, and my expectations. If I didn't already own the Onkyo, and if I was debating whether or not I could afford it... I may not have bought it. I already have a DX-90, and the sound on that is exceptional.

Tough decision. Best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back