Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #931 of 1,608
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #933 of 1,608
Thanks, is the one from B&H made of leather? it doesn't say on the page.

Yes all leather. Black outside. Yellow suede like (not leather) inside.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #935 of 1,608
No it is vinyl. I have it and it works fine. It's very fitted and does not add significant bulk. The piece that covers the volume wheel provides stability to the wheel. I give it 5 stars.

Vinyl...?? Seriously? Man, I'm an idiot.
This whole time I thought it was leather. That's how nice it is! Ha.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #936 of 1,608
Hi. New owner of a XDP-30r here. Wondering if there are any Mac users with this DAP? So far, the only way I can transfer my Itunes library is to drag & drop folders, which works, but I can't get any playlists to work. I tried using Dapper (which works fine with my Fiio X5ii) but there is no custom configuration for the XDP-30. It ends up generating masses of errors and finally quits. Tried X-Dap link and although it can see my Itunes library, it can't detect the device or drives (I now suspect that the Mac version does not work with the XDP-303). Tried JRiver Media Center 22 and for some reason it put 2 copies of every song on the player and although it copied my playlists, the DAP won't open them.
Has anyone found a work around for this? If not, I guess I'll just go back to dragging and dropping files and live without playlists. Too bad, because it's a sweet little player otherwise. My listening station will be, XDP-30r - Schiit Loki Mini - Schiit Valhalla 2 - Sennheiser HD650.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #940 of 1,608
Hi again guys. I picked up the player in while in Japan and it is a real treat - I think it sounds great!
Can someone help me with questions about the 'balanced' output? I would like to try it with some headphones but am not sure how to.

For example:
Would using the 'balanced' output be worth it with a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless headphones?
How does one connect the cable from the headphones to the 'balanced' connection on the player? The female 'balanced' connection of the player is 2.5mm and the cable coming from the headset is 3.5mm.
Can you just use a simple adapter that has a 2.5mm male connector on one end and a female 3.5mm connection on the other? Like this?

Thanks for any help.
Jeemuzu

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #941 of 1,608
Hi again guys. I picked up the player in while in Japan and it is a real treat - I think it sounds great!
Can someone help me with questions about the 'balanced' output? I would like to try it with some headphones but am not sure how to.

For example:
Would using the 'balanced' output be worth it with a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless headphones?
How does one connect the cable from the headphones to the 'balanced' connection on the player? The female 'balanced' connection of the player is 2.5mm and the cable coming from the headset is 3.5mm.
Can you just use a simple adapter that has a 2.5mm male connector on one end and a female 3.5mm connection on the other? Like this?

Thanks for any help.
Jeemuzu

Usually, for a headphone to be able to be used balanced, it will have cables attached to both the right and left side. Most likely the Momentums are not wired internally for a balanced connection. Also, you should not ever try connecting to regular "single ended" headphone to a balanced connection, via an adapter. This shorts the right and left grounds together, which can damage the amplifier it is connected to.

The regular 3.5 mm (single ended) output of the player will work just fine with your Momentums.

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #942 of 1,608
On an obscure side note .On the DP-S1, is there an setting where you can check how may total files are stored on the player? In other players it is in the "about" setting but i can't seem to find this info anywhere. Does it exist somewhere that i am not aware or is this info just not available?

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #943 of 1,608
Usually, for a headphone to be able to be used balanced, it will have cables attached to both the right and left side. Most likely the Momentums are not wired internally for a balanced connection. Also, you should not ever try connecting to regular "single ended" headphone to a balanced connection, via an adapter. This shorts the right and left grounds together, which can damage the amplifier it is connected to.

The regular 3.5 mm (single ended) output of the player will work just fine with your Momentums.
Thanks for the help.
The DP-S1 sounds great through the 'unbalanced' connection. I guess that I will have to stay happy with this for a while.
Thanks again.

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #944 of 1,608
I have the Pioneer version. I appreciate the extra bit of " separation" and sense of a larger soundstage I get using the balanced connection, but it's mostly using very expensive iems. It's not a night and day difference, though. If you have a headphone that is harder to drive, then balanced is a good way to go. Mostly I end up using plain old 3.5 mm out.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #945 of 1,608
I have the Pioneer version. I appreciate the extra bit of " separation" and sense of a larger soundstage I get using the balanced connection, but it's mostly using very expensive iems. It's not a night and day difference, though. If you have a headphone that is harder to drive, then balanced is a good way to go. Mostly I end up using plain old 3.5 mm out.
Hi
Thanks for your thoughts and esperience on the different connections. I am really very happy with the player overall but still would love to experience the 'balanced' output too.
Perhaps sometime in the future.
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back