Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #901 of 1,608
I like this... though I have no idea if it's accurate.
'Slow' has worked well for me with the DP-S1, though I have to admit that the differences are pretty subtle to my ears.

Even before the diagram I've been using slow. It just sounds better to me in all dap that I use that has filters so just to keep it simple and less factor to consider I just leave it at slow.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #902 of 1,608
So, newegg and Amazon have this for $200 right now. Anyone have any idea why the price drop? The Pioneer XDP-30-R (US) is also $200 too. Any noticeable difference between them?

Also, did they ever fix the interface? I hear it's a bit poor.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #903 of 1,608
So, newegg and Amazon have this for $200 right now. Anyone have any idea why the price drop? The Pioneer XDP-30-R (US) is also $200 too. Any noticeable difference between them?

The price drop is because of the replacement models DP-S1A and XDP-02U

Jan 19, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #905 of 1,608

Interface is fine to me. I have both but the pioneer
Is 240 hrs playtime younger so a comparison sound wise would be unfair. It' Sound is still opening up @ 60hrs. I'l wait before giving a definitive verdict. Overall the pioneer is warmer and v shaped and attack focused. The onkyo is flatter with emphasis on decay. Same machine different tuning. The pioneer seems better suited to electronica and the onkyo to jazz vocals. But as I said, the pioneer is still burning in and its a lot more refined @50 hrs than say at 20.

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #907 of 1,608
Hi guys, I'm sorry if I ask a lot in this thread, but I just got my xdp 30r, got it as a gift so I haven't read a lot about it, I wanted to know what is the balanced pin out configuration?

If I am going to use it for an amp with balanced input and output like a fiio, is it going to match the amp's pin config?

Good question. I was hoping that the various vendors had settled on a standard but apparently not. According to this blog entry http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2016/02/headphone-connectors-pins-pinouts-for.html it looks like AK and Hifiman/Oppo are using two different configurations.

I wonder if we could get the pinout for the Pioneer IEMs that are configured for balanced operation, or some of the other thread contributors who are already using balanced cables.

I just found another diagram here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...es-balanced-out.713735/page-938#post-12826928
that may clear things up. A&K, along with Pioneer/Onkyo are the only companies using a 2.5MM TRRS for balanced. so it's likely that Pioneer is using the A7K standard. Anyone else care to chime in?

Having the balanced out being 2.5 MM makes a lot of sense, so that there are no "accidents" with 3.5MM unbalananced connectors being plugged into a balanced output and frying things..

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #908 of 1,608
me out not too long ago? What happened
Yeah, like a 1 year revision, version B model with fixes based on user comments.
For example:
Tacky volume dial
Improve isolation from the power source.

I went in store here in Japan and took a look at the DP-S1A. So much better than anything I have right now, but with the S1A being so expensive, I'm trying to hold off for something crazier like a chord 2 or HDV820
(I'm more interested in a desktop at home listening experience, especially with a pair of HD800 headphones sitting in a box for a year since moving here)

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #909 of 1,608
Hi. Recieved the XDP 30r yesterday and I have to say that I´m not that impressed when it comes to sound quality. I´m really struggling to hear any difference between the XDP 30r and my dragonfly black. I use Bowers and Wilkins P9. In addition, the wifi connection is very unstable. So I think I will return the 30r and buy a mojo instead.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #910 of 1,608
Hi. Recieved the XDP 30r yesterday and I have to say that I´m not that impressed when it comes to sound quality. I´m really struggling to hear any difference between the XDP 30r and my dragonfly black. I use Bowers and Wilkins P9. In addition, the wifi connection is very unstable. So I think I will return the 30r and buy a mojo instead.
Burn in is very important. The sound changes within the first 50 hrs. You may maybe like the onkyo dp s1 if you prefer a more bright and airier sound.

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #912 of 1,608
The price drop is because of the replacement models DP-S1A and XDP-02U
From the looks of the 1 page marketing blurb for for the XDB-30R and the XDP-02U, it's mostly the same internally, which I hope means they will use a common firmware. The interface looks to be the same on both units as well.

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #913 of 1,608

You're not really comparing apples to apples, since XDP-30R is a DAP and the Dragonfly Black and the Mojo are DAC/headphone amp combos. The advantage with the XDP-30R is that you get the "source" included in the package (no extra addon bits..) and also the advantage of balanced headphone operation, which from the discussion here seems to make a dramatic difference in sound quality.

The Dragonfly Black, despite using a different (and single) version of an ESS DAC, is probably very similar to the XDP-30R due to the ESS house sound.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #915 of 1,608
I'd go for the dp-s1 at current 200$ price anyday. I have two 400gb cards in it and its snappy. So basically 440$ for the sd cards and 200 for the player and you have a fantastic pocket rocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back