Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #887 of 1,608
I just got my xdp 30r and I am using it with my Mpow Bluetooth receiver and TFZ series 4, all I can say is that I'm loving it. I have read some posts regarding the output jacks, (1) are they loose from the pcb and wiggle inside the player or (2) are the output jacks selective on the input plugs causing the plugs to be loosed?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #891 of 1,608
WIFI problems did you have them with previous firmware versions?
I tried out Tunein right after I got it, and it worked for me to download the latest firmware, but I haven't been able to get it to connect since. I only just received it last week, so I only have experience with the the most recent previous firmware.

I just did a little test connecting to a 5Ghz router, and it worked, at about 3 meters away. I live in an area that is literally flooded(I can see at least 25) with 2.4Ghz wifi networks (downtown) so this may be contributing to the connection issues, particularly from a strength issue. I was hoping to use it while travelling where I will have fewer other networks to compete with, but we shall see. I'm still happy with the decision, this is a great DAP for the price, the wifi is a bonus.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #893 of 1,608
Hi all!
Considering buying the 30R. Does anyone know how the sound quality is compared to e.g. Dragonfly Black or Chord Mojo?
And has anyone tried the 30R with either Bowers and Wilkins P9 or Sennheiser HD 630VB?
I register that there are some of you having issues with the wifi connection for streaming from Tidal and so on. Is that a regular problem? I use Tidal a lot at home, so it´s really crucial for me to have a stable wifi connection.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #894 of 1,608
Just received the pioneer. I also have the Onkyo and firt impression in the build quality of the pioneer is a bit better, as well as the UI. The downside is the wifi on the pioneer is far weaker than the onkyo.

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #895 of 1,608
Hi all!
Considering buying the 30R. Does anyone know how the sound quality is compared to e.g. Dragonfly Black or Chord Mojo?
And has anyone tried the 30R with either Bowers and Wilkins P9 or Sennheiser HD 630VB?
I register that there are some of you having issues with the wifi connection for streaming from Tidal and so on. Is that a regular problem? I use Tidal a lot at home, so it´s really crucial for me to have a stable wifi connection.
Thanks in advance.

Have not tried the 30R but have S1 and Mojo,
White tube in se846 with Japanese made balanced silver/7n mixed cable
Balanced to moded z7
Mostly listen to vocal and some classical, upsample to 32bit,192k, short

Using S1 balanced = airy, transparency, detail, bass can have a bit more power, sometimes a bit digital (cold) on se846, but on the z7, it sounds great, but turned all the way up!
mojo = power, more bass, warmer with vocal and darker background, not as high resolution (airy and detail) as the S1 in balanced.

Single end has no comparison vs 2.5 balanced for air, transparency and details on the S1. At the end it still all depends on your ear/headphone combination and music preference.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #897 of 1,608
Have not tried the 30R but have S1 and Mojo,
White tube in se846 with Japanese made balanced silver/7n mixed cable
Balanced to moded z7
Mostly listen to vocal and some classical, upsample to 32bit,192k, short

Using S1 balanced = airy, transparency, detail, bass can have a bit more power, sometimes a bit digital (cold) on se846, but on the z7, it sounds great, but turned all the way up!
mojo = power, more bass, warmer with vocal and darker background, not as high resolution (airy and detail) as the S1 in balanced.

Single end has no comparison vs 2.5 balanced for air, transparency and details on the S1. At the end it still all depends on your ear/headphone combination and music preference.

Can anyone point me towards a good / simple description or explanation of the filter settings? I use my Pioneer with custom IEMs with balanced cable and the difference between balanced and unbalanced is pretty clear, worth investing in an aftermarket cable.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #898 of 1,608
Can anyone point me towards a good / simple description or explanation of the filter settings? I use my Pioneer with custom IEMs with balanced cable and the difference between balanced and unbalanced is pretty clear, worth investing in an aftermarket cable.

A friend showed this to me.
Should give a nice description filters

soundcolor.jpg

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #900 of 1,608
A friend showed this to me.
Should give a nice description filters

soundcolor.jpg

I like this... though I have no idea if it's accurate.
'Slow' has worked well for me with the DP-S1, though I have to admit that the differences are pretty subtle to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back