Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jan 2, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #871 of 1,608
kind of a silly question by a kind of silly guy - the Pioneer 30R has a balanced line input. To get a balanced signal do I just need to replace the cable on my headphones from a 3.5mm output to the smaller balanced output? If that is all one needs to do is the difference in sound noticeably better?
Balanced sounds better to my ears. You need a cable with a 2.5mm 4pole jack to whatever your headphones need as balanced input connector(s).

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #873 of 1,608
Balanced is sound way more better than unbalanced for me.

after latest FW updated, wifi is more stable. and i already tested usb output with connect to Hugo2 without problem :ksc75smile:

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #874 of 1,608
No problem.
There are some messages about internal and 2 sd-cards in slots going wrong, internal disappearing with 2 or just one sd-card in slot, etc. Have you tried resetting the player when both sd slots empty. Maybe try it several times, had troubles myself after a fw upgrade and missing icons which took several resets.
Your screenshots show about the same as what I see in disk management, exFAT formatted and folder structure wise. Still, you may want to try to reflash the firmware.
If you right-click internal in disk management, then properties - hardware, you should see three Linux File-Stor usb gadget devices, all mbr partition style volumes with 0, 38xx and 12xxx mb size. All with 0 mb unallocated, check that too (properties - volumes - populate)

TiddlyWinks/BadBanana It's possible the Internal drive has been reformatted but I think it unlikely.The 12.4GB size looks odd but I'm assuming the other 3.6GB holds the operating system files and is not exposed to the user. What size are your drives ? (nothing personal you understand :) )

I confirm the drives are all formatted Linux-File-Stor MBR ex-Fat partitions. The internal drive does show 2mb unallocated which is a bit odd but there are definitely no bad blocks.

If someone could kindly tell me the internal drive "Allocation unit size" and confirm the drive name as "INTERNAL" , all upper case ? I might take the risk and reformat it and run a surface check.

Since neither Pioneer or Onkyo are responding to requests for help the internal storage is lost to me I may as well try that route.

thanks guys

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #876 of 1,608
It's Internal, not INTERNAL, AUS is 32 kbyte, exFAT. Have you tried the FW update already?
That's interesting. So rather than reformat I have for now changed the partition name to "Internal" and embarked on the whole revert to factory setting and re-sync a few times. If that doesn't work I will reformat. But somehow I don't think its going to help. The fact that resetting to factory defaults doesn't delete the contents of Internal like the manual says it will really convinces me the system can't see it.

I'm on the Dec2017 FW release.Thanks again.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #881 of 1,608
But download it and try to flash from SD anyway, it may fix something if it flashes at all.

The firmware doesn't want to re-flash.

So the rename to "Internal" and associated reset to factory settings,try sd1 and2 , resync etc didn't help so I took the plunge and wiped the partition,recreated it, ran a surface test , washed and repeated. Not a single error on the surface test and no bad blocks. so since I was here I tried it as both logical and physical partition. Not a single glimmer of recognition after repeated resync again and again. What was it Einstein said about repeating things and getting the same results ?

So I'm giving up and will live without the internal memory - unless Pioneer or Onkyo get back to me, which seems unlikely, I'll stump up for some bigger cards.

Shame really but thanks to all who chipped in with help.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #882 of 1,608
Maybe if I knew it before, I did not buy it ..

Anyway, for those who use services like Tidal or Deezer, I can not download the songs in the memory of DAP to listen to them offline. it's possible to do it?
No, the Company line is that only clients on "qualified" OS platforms can be licensed for offline downloads, and Linux, which this DAP runs is not one of them.

I just got mine yesterday, still waiting for a 200GB SD for it, hoping I don't have to spend too much time cleaning up my library before loading it.

Jan 8, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #884 of 1,608
but only me and Fra D have problems with the WIFI connection?

I've had issues as well... sitting right next to the router, max signal. Connects, then drops. Never been solid.
But I've chosen to ignore it, only because I haven't needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back