Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
post-14384066
Post #1,306 of 1,491

karloil

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
and 'force' formatting the card to FAT32 'almost' guarantees that the device 'reads' the whole of your SD card - whatever the capacity might be.

i started to notice this with the Sansa(s) back then. then with Ibasso (DX) DAPs.

but then again, please do take this with a grain of salt as I can't remember the specifics already. But when something is not specified in the spec sheets of the device, I fall back to FAT32 and it just works!

post-14384214
Post #1,307 of 1,491

bflat

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
and 'force' formatting the card to FAT32 'almost' guarantees that the device 'reads' the whole of your SD card - whatever the capacity might be.

i started to notice this with the Sansa(s) back then. then with Ibasso (DX) DAPs.

but then again, please do take this with a grain of salt as I can't remember the specifics already. But when something is not specified in the spec sheets of the device, I fall back to FAT32 and it just works!
FAT32 is definitely the lowest common denominator since SDHC defaulted to that. However, in Windows, the max partition format for FAT32 is 32 GB and you have to get 3rd party format tools to get around that. The best fool-proof way is the same advice for digital camera owners - format your card inside the device. This guarantees operation with the given device. If you use the same physical card in multiple devices, then yes, you have to figure out the lowest common denominator across all of them and use that format.

Note, nearly all SD cards 64 GB on up come formatted in exFAT which is what the SDXC standard recommends. All Android and Linux based operating systems work perfectly fine with exFAT. Lastly, FAT32 limits file sizes to 4 GB or smaller. This is not a problem for audio files as even 768/24 bit files are less than 1 GB for 5 min.

Reactions: BadBanana
post-14384900
Post #1,308 of 1,491

Audioscope

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
So I tried the XDP-30R extensively and I really don't like the sound.

Yes, the resolution is there and it's technically good, but there is nothing musical about this DAP.

It is very fatiguing to listen to even after 15 minutes. After plugging in my Headstage Arrow 5TX, the sound improved, but not good enough. I am running on the latest firmware and tried upsampling, native sampling, all the filters, etc.

post-14385171
Post #1,309 of 1,491

Ed Tras

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
So I tried the XDP-30R extensively and I really don't like the sound.

Yes, the resolution is there and it's technically good, but there is nothing musical about this DAP.

It is very fatiguing to listen to even after 15 minutes. After plugging in my Headstage Arrow 5TX, the sound improved, but not good enough. I am running on the latest firmware and tried upsampling, native sampling, all the filters, etc.
Hi,
I love sound from iBasso DX80 with Sennheiser IE80. It is a warm powerful sound, which I like very much.
Maybe resolution from XDP-30R is a little bit better, but I am not sure and as DX80 has a better sound, I like it more...
XDP-30R is lighter and smaller than DX80.. But mostly this doesn't matter... :-D

post-14385249
Post #1,310 of 1,491

MrManson85

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've this player from 3 months. I bought it thanks to this and other threads on the forum and I'm completely satisfied :) However I noticed something I didn't believe was possible: the eq works also with bluetooth... How does it works? I always though that in BT mode was the headphone responsable of processing the signal, bypassing the internal DAC.
What am I missing?

post-14385282
Post #1,311 of 1,491

karloil

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
FAT32 is definitely the lowest common denominator since SDHC defaulted to that. However, in Windows, the max partition format for FAT32 is 32 GB and you have to get 3rd party format tools to get around that. The best fool-proof way is the same advice for digital camera owners - format your card inside the device. This guarantees operation with the given device. If you use the same physical card in multiple devices, then yes, you have to figure out the lowest common denominator across all of them and use that format.

Note, nearly all SD cards 64 GB on up come formatted in exFAT which is what the SDXC standard recommends. All Android and Linux based operating systems work perfectly fine with exFAT. Lastly, FAT32 limits file sizes to 4 GB or smaller. This is not a problem for audio files as even 768/24 bit files are less than 1 GB for 5 min.
i used FAT32 before - specially for my Sansas. But since DAPs don't have issues reading the card capacities that I have, I rarely use the format now.

post-14385894
Post #1,312 of 1,491

bflat

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've this player from 3 months. I bought it thanks to this and other threads on the forum and I'm completely satisfied :) However I noticed something I didn't believe was possible: the eq works also with bluetooth... How does it works? I always though that in BT mode was the headphone responsable of processing the signal, bypassing the internal DAC.
What am I missing?
The EQ is applied in the digital domain before the D to A conversion.

Reactions: MrManson85
post-14437228
Post #1,313 of 1,491

MentTheNewbie

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am just wondering did anyone here faced the touchscreen issue?

When I want to click on the most bottom right to enter current playing song page, it will 99.99% trigger the back button. Or when I select line out, then I tried to click “yes”, it will end up become selecting No. Some time when I hold down the lock screen button, it will bring u to the off device page. So I would like cancel it by pressing the “X”, the device totally can not detect my touch at all ‍♂

I like the sound of this DAP, but the user interface and user interaction with device really put me into frustration

post-14439240
Post #1,315 of 1,491

rapier84

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am just wondering did anyone here faced the touchscreen issue?

When I want to click on the most bottom right to enter current playing song page, it will 99.99% trigger the back button. Or when I select line out, then I tried to click “yes”, it will end up become selecting No. Some time when I hold down the lock screen button, it will bring u to the off device page. So I would like cancel it by pressing the “X”, the device totally can not detect my touch at all ‍♂

I like the sound of this DAP, but the user interface and user interaction with device really put me into frustration
Yes, I have this issue where the buttons do not trigger correctly with my XDP-30R. After awhile, lower half of screen on left side became unresponsive, not able to return to home screen during playback. :frowning2:

Very disappointed, seems like screen issues quite a common issue for Onkyo/Pioneer players from my brief search on the internet. Have put it in cold storage now (it plays fine, just that once I enter a folder I won't be able to navigate out of it without a restart).

Not likely to get another Onkyo or Pioneer player again, eyeing an Opus 1S or A&Norma SR15 now.

Last edited:
post-14444593
Post #1,319 of 1,491

mikemike99

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
yes it's already on high gain ...
I think that there is a sort of limitation in the EU version. My sansa clip with rockbox sound much higher ...
You will have to activate line out on EU version. This doesn't activate a fixed line out only increases output power.

post-14444602
Post #1,320 of 1,491

desmo975

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
yes, but if I activate the line out ... the volume wheel is not works because everything is at maximum
I would like to have the maximum power of line-out but usable with the volume wheel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)