Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #646 of 799
Mine arrived home about a couple days ago. I really don't feel screen is awful at all, just like a regular midrange phone. Where it shines is where it has to: sound. In the normal gain setting is more than able to make my Alessandro MS1, Marshall Major II or Sennheiser M2 On ear roar. The Major II pairs up awesome with the Granbeat, I don't know why but I love it. Momentum II On ear sound beautiful for music like U2. Their albums "Zooropa" or "Achtung baby"... Great. Bono's voice actually shines through this. I don't know what more can I say... I just love it.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #647 of 799
I am waiting for mine. Maybe I'm wrong but I would swear this is what I need. A good DAC with just regular smartphone capability. I had a LG V20 and I sold it because of their size...
P.S.: I guess this is the latest firmware update, January 2018 so I guess they are taking a little care...
http://www.hk.onkyo.com/en/support/searchresult?code=GRANBEAT DP-CMX1&tab=gj

I might be a bit late but... If size is and issue, this probably isn't the phone for you. It's almost as big but it's probably WAY heavier. I can't wear anything elasticated if I wanted to put this in my pocket! Despite my disdain for apple, I ended up getting an iPhone SE (after growing tired of waiting YEARS for a 4 inch premium android phone). Surprisingly good sound (I only have AAC in there) and I don't have to take it out of my jeans pocket whenever I want to sit down. iTunes sucks just as hard as I remember, tho. I'm not hating on the Granbeat BTW.

The Granbeat remains as my best DAP and a spare phone for when I'm abroad. For a larger person (I'm 167cm, 60kg) it might not be such an issue. YMMV

p.s. Xperia compacts are out cos the screens are way too fragile. The only screens I ever broke were z3c and z5c. Owned and broke them both. I learn... Slowly

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #648 of 799
I might be a bit late but... If size is and issue, this probably isn't the phone for you. It's almost as big but it's probably WAY heavier. I can't wear anything elasticated if I wanted to put this in my pocket! Despite my disdain for apple, I ended up getting an iPhone SE (after growing tired of waiting YEARS for a 4 inch premium android phone). Surprisingly good sound (I only have AAC in there) and I don't have to take it out of my jeans pocket whenever I want to sit down. iTunes sucks just as hard as I remember, tho. I'm not hating on the Granbeat BTW.

The Granbeat remains as my best DAP and a spare phone for when I'm abroad. For a larger person (I'm 167cm, 60kg) it might not be such an issue. YMMV

p.s. Xperia compacts are out cos the screens are way too fragile. The only screens I ever broke were z3c and z5c. Owned and broke them both. I learn... Slowly
Sorry for my late answer. After a couple of weeks, I don't find it heavy or hefty at all. Maybe because I'm a little larger sized than you but anyway. Sound for a smartphone is just awesome. My last audio oriented phone was a LG V20 but it was too big in the sense it was a 5.7 inch screen with a lot of bezel. This is a 5 inch screen so it's easier to make it fit in a sports fanny pack for example. And sound wise I find it much more better. The only con I would point is the lack of being ankle to use the upsampling feature outside of the Onkyo built-in music app. That would be great but anyway I can't be happier. Screen is not the best in the world but good enough for me.
Update: thankfully I bought the kevlar case. It slipped out of my hands and fell on the floor impacting first by one of its corners!! It was so hard that the kevlar was broken but it saved the phone body.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #649 of 799
I'm glad its not a problem for you. It really is the greatest sounding phone. Ever. I've got the Musashino case and it also did a fine job of protecting my Granbeat. lol

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #650 of 799
Good news. UAPP has added the support for the Sabre DAC which means that our piece is on the list as well. Tried it briefly. IMO, sounds very potent, including the perfect bit option. Highly recommended.
From the sibling thread ONKYO DP-X1
Post #15536 of 15536

IronFly

New Head-Fier

USB Audio Player Pro, now supports HighRes* on Onkyo DP-X1 too (direct mode) using the Sabre DACs, 4.1.4 version

* I had, around 2hours, an email exchange with their support today; Davy was very good on adding it after my request, since their new direct audio driver mode can use DACs without the stock android driver; after some audio dumps now the player supports the Sabre DACs directly.
Please use "when possible" setting under "Audio HiRes/Bit perfect" settings or you will receive a "bit perfect not supported" when playing DSD files.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #651 of 799
Has anyone noticed a decline of sub bass at the balanced output in comparison to the unbalanced output?
First I thought it is my new balanced cable that reduce the sub bass, but after switching the cable with an adapter to unbalanced output, I think this comes from the balanced mode.

May 9, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #655 of 799
Short report about Dignis leather case for Granbeat:
TB2Z_wkorBnpuFjSZFGXXX51pXa_!!722333470.jpg

I had ordered this beautiful case last year and have been very happy with it so far.
Shortly after the expiration of the warranty, some leather broke :)
After a few emails Dignis sended me a new case (renewed to be honest), I only had to pay the shipping costs :ksc75smile:

Thanks to Dignis - excellent service!
I can only recommend!

May 15, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #657 of 799
Short report about Dignis leather case for Granbeat:
TB2Z_wkorBnpuFjSZFGXXX51pXa_!!722333470.jpg

I had ordered this beautiful case last year and have been very happy with it so far.
Shortly after the expiration of the warranty, some leather broke :)
After a few emails Dignis sended me a new case (renewed to be honest), I only had to pay the shipping costs :ksc75smile:

Thanks to Dignis - excellent service!
I can only recommend!

Too bad its $100 usd and no black left. :angry:

May 15, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #659 of 799
I can't get Bluetooth music playback in my car sadly.

I am having the same issue. My DPX1A pairs fine and plays great. The CMX1 will pair and start playing (i can see location bar and time moving), but I don't get any sound from the car audio or the device. it says "Bluetooth device is paused" on my cars display.

If I check the Onkyo music app settings it shows the output device correctly as "MB BLUETOOTH" (this is the correctly paired device name)

Screenshot_2018-05-15-18-44-38.png

However the CMX1 shows the output device as "BLUETOOTHA2DP". (it is actually paired with MB BLUETOOTH)

Screenshot_20180515-185204.png

Side Note. I get the QUALCOMM APTX popup notification when I connect my Macaw T1000 to both the CMX1 and the DPX1A. I might be wrong but the CMX1 sounded way better with Tidal offline files than the DPX1A did. IMHO. The bass was thundering

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #660 of 799

Users who are viewing this thread

Back