Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Jul 9, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #376 of 401
My set arrived a few minutes ago. Thankfully I was home since it required a signature. I have been refreshing the tracking all day and would have been mad if I had to wait until tomorrow to get them!

Ultra-first impressions:
Build: The box is well designed and holds the headphones well with custom-moulded plastic pieces that snap together with slots for the cable and accessories. Everything is held in very well so nothing was loose despite being shipped. One unfortunate side effect of the box design is that it causes some kinks in the cable. Hopefully I can get them out.

Picking up the headphones they feel... cheap. Definitely not what I was expecting for a $400 MSRP headphone. It's not necessarily the materials that feel cheap but fit and finish of them. The pad pivot and slider mechanism rattle and it has less resistance than I like while adjusting (thankfully they go big enough; they almost didn't fit!). It's not heavy in the hand. The pads are velour, but the rough/scratchy kind and not very deep so my ears touch the plastic that covers the driver. Maybe I have been spoiled by other companies and maybe my expectations were a little too high in this department.

The cable is odd, flat, and enormously long and comes out the front of the cups instead of the middle or angling out the bottom. It looks a little silly but it does keep the cable out of the way of my shoulders so I guess function over form. I can live with that. I will probably try to get/build a replacement cable that's shorter and has a 3.5mm instead of the 6.35mm since they are easy to drive. Not that I'm planning taking them out of the house or anything, but I like to listen on my LG G7 when I don't want to be tethered in one room.

Sound:
"Okay, that's all well and good," you are thinking, "but what about the sound?"
Well, let me try to sum up.

WOW!

That's the most succinct description I can think of. I was blown away at first listen. They are clear, dynamic, punchy, and wide. Literally one of, if not the best sounding headphones I have ever heard out of the box. Excellent timbre, too! Everything sounds like it should, but almost hyper-real in some way. It reminds me of whenever I get new glasses and I put them on and I can see everything so clearly, it seems like someone cranked up the sharpening filter IRL. If I had one niggle, it would be that the treble seems to be slightly on the hot side.

They remind me of my Elear (with Elex pads, so essentially, a different colored Elex), but with more bass, which I prefer. I always felt my modded Elear was little on the bass-lite side. Both headphones are very clear, dynamic, punchy, with excellent imaging and great timbre. I would have to do some A/B listening tests to be more detailed than that. The fact that the A800 trades blows with the Focal is high praise for the A800, indeed. More listening is in order, I think. :L3000:

So, to sum up. Build: meh. Sound: Fantastic! They are my favorite (sound-wise) dynamic driver headphone I have, hands down. They are winners, for sure, so I'm honestly wondering why in the world more headphones aren't tuned like this? It's a crying shame these were discontinued. But I'm so, so, so glad I took a chance and pulled the trigger on these! :o2smile:

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #379 of 401
To the current owners of A800, would you classify it as Midfi or like entry level Hifi? (term they use with the likes of Focal Elex) If there is such thing.
I'm a bit late but what the hey lol. Just came into possession of a set of A800s. Sound = between mid & hi-end. Build = mid. If that makes sense.

Had an Elex for a week (used & burnt in). Then sold it. Focal's dynamics are something to be applauded for, but not my cup of tea. The A800 is also quite dynamic but in a pleasant way. From memory, detail is just about the same just different presentation of sound.

Hope this helps. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #380 of 401
FYI: there's a set currently for sale on eBay, used but with original box etc.
Hey fellow Melbournian! I snapped that one up. Had to, they're sooo rare!

I've been in the market for an end-game-bang-for-buck-open-back (that's grammatically correct right?) and these just happened to pop-up for sale. Props to the original owner, they presented like-new!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #383 of 401
I wish I could see a review of this or know what the sound signature is.
I had the pleasure of listening to a used set back in 2016 when I went to an E-earphone (can't remember which store). I can't really remember what they sounded like but I remember not liking it very much, it sounded "broken" (maybe they were). Had it hooked up to a Astell & Kern ACRO L1000 usb from my phone. Sounded nothing like other bio-cellulose type driver cans I'd heard. Wasn't full, lush or warm.

Here's a link to an E-earphone blog review (google translated) if it helps.

https://e--earphone-blog.translate....l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

May 22, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #384 of 401
Grabbed my H900M's after leaving them for years on the shelf and saw that the pads are all messed up. Is there anything I can do the fix this apart from those cheap covers? Doesn't seem you can remove the pads for replacement....

20220522-165956.jpg

May 22, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #385 of 401
Grabbed my H900M's after leaving them for years on the shelf and saw that the pads are all messed up. Is there anything I can do the fix this apart from those cheap covers? Doesn't seem you can remove the pads for replacement....

20220522-165956.jpg
I assume the pad mounting mechanism is the same on the A800 and H900M. They twist off counter-clockwise for the right, clockwise for the left (when facing the pad). Takes about a 16th of a turn to release them.

As for repairing those, I don't think anything can be done about fake leather that has disintegrated like that.

As for replacements, regular pads without the mounting ring can be mounted on these Onkyo headphones, you just fit the lip over that gold accent ring. Finding a pad that doesn't change the sound too much might be tricky, though, at least that's been my experience with my A800.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #386 of 401
I know this thread is basically dead since these headphones have long since been discontinued, but if future generations need some replacement cables, I have a tidbit for them. Audeze LCD-1 cables work on the Onkyo A800. The cables have the same dual 3.5mm, wired in stereo to both earcups (so they are side-agnostic). So, any cable advertising compatibility with the LCD-1 should work. In fact, Audeze's own LCD-1 cable currently listed on their site is decent quality and reasonably priced at $35 if you don't want to mess with a 3rd party cable maker. I probably would have gone this route if I had found this out before I already bought the materials to make my own custom cable.

Anyway, I hope this helps out some future Googler someday. :o2smile:

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #387 of 401
I know this thread is basically dead since these headphones have long since been discontinued, but if future generations need some replacement cables, I have a tidbit for them. Audeze LCD-1 cables work on the Onkyo A800. The cables have the same dual 3.5mm, wired in stereo to both earcups (so they are side-agnostic). So, any cable advertising compatibility with the LCD-1 should work. In fact, Audeze's own LCD-1 cable currently listed on their site is decent quality and reasonably priced at $35 if you don't want to mess with a 3rd party cable maker. I probably would have gone this route if I had found this out before I already bought the materials to make my own custom cable.

Anyway, I hope this helps out some future Googler someday. :o2smile:
We kind of moved the conversation of just the Onkyo A800 to another thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/onkyo-a800-–-master-class.965012/
I tried some cables then ended making my own ofc simple 1 wire 16 core balanced cable , due to an asymettrical Onkyo ( or Marshall ?) design choice for the soldering on the left and right channels plug - and to the rarity of the a800 - I was not able to find many ready aftermarket choices around .
Among 4 balanced cables i find the simple ocf copper cable the best as bass is very textured and gripping and the rest sounds right and detailed enough.
As for cardas/balanced i used it on hd600 with good results , was not the "clear" though so..., to my knowledge moon audio can build good tailored and long lasting cable..I still would look and ask for single wire copper for a800 ....👍
That's still good to know that Audeze cables work on the Onkyo A800. We actually talked about it yesterday regarding good cables for the Onkyo A800. A Wiseman informed me of the above quote for a really good Onkyo A800 replacement cable.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #388 of 401
We kind of moved the conversation of just the Onkyo A800 to another thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/onkyo-a800-–-master-class.965012/

That's still good to know that Audeze cables work on the Onkyo A800. We actually talked about it yesterday regarding good cables for the Onkyo A800. A Wiseman informed me of the above quote for a really good Onkyo A800 replacement cable.
Ah, thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize there was another thread. Going to give that one a watch. Thanks!

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #390 of 401
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back