Onkyo A-9555 headphone jack versus [your recommendation here]?
Sep 7, 2009 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

priest

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been running my headphones from the headphone section of my Onkyo A-9555 integrated amplifier for many months and have been very happy. I remember reading a comparison by member zotjen several months ago, in which he seemed to indicate that the A-9555 could more or less hold its own versus the HeadAmp GS-1 to his ears. I took that estimation to heart and concentrated on my headphones for awhile.

However, you all know how it is, I cannot help but wonder if I would hear a noticeable difference if I were powering my headphones in some other way. I have identified the DAC1 PRE, X-CANV8P and the HeadRoom Desktop (with or without DAC) as potential candidates for testing. I realize that these are not really comparable in price or more importantly in features, as the X-Can for instance has no DAC, costs less, etc. I am fully aware that I am asking you to compare apples and oranges, but that can be done (I prefer apples, and could say why). So, if I were to try something to satisfy myself that I like the A-9555 as much as I do, what would you suggest, of the three listed or anything else that comes to mind? If you think I am off-the-mark and should just stay where am I, I would appreciate hearing that too. But please don't say that I should stay where am I just because I am happy. I could be happier and would need to know why that is not likely.

My source is the matching Onkyo DX-7555 CD player. My headphones are all the usual non-luxury type suspects (HD 650, K 702, DT880) and are listed in my profile. I love them all, for different reasons. I listen mainly to rock and hip hop. Thanks in advance!

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used A-9555 only with modded D5000s, and I found Onkyo's integrated amp to be much better than op-amp based audiophile amps, like cmoy/pimeta and even Headsave Classic. The Compass amp (Class-A) made a nice upgrade over Onkyo.

Also see this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/onk...9555-a-357405/

Thank you very much for your response. I've seen the Compass mentioned, but never really focused on it. I will look into that. It looks very affordable. (That thread that you link to is the one I referred to in my original post, by zotjen, btw.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back