Ongoing Comparison between Shure's SE530 PTH and Westone's UM2
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two things I prefer UM2 over SE530 are the fit and the cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh um2 cable is second to none, unbeatable. only thing that would make it better is being replaceable

1. I can see why the fit might be better (but tips are exchangeable?), however how come the cable? I'm not jogging, but I don't think there is a difference in microphonics. Weight? I'm not feeling it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shures win for pure sound quality, but for real world use, the massively superior Westone design make it the IEM of choice for me.

1. What do you mean for real world use? What part of the design? Cables again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my UM2s for 250CAD. I see the SE530s without PTH going for about 350CAD... so there definitely is a price difference.

1. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the States, the price is only about a ten dollar difference...you'd know if you bought it.
    wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that i enjoy the sound of the shure's more but find that the fit,comfort and isolation of the westone makes it the IEH that i prefer.....for whatever reason the westone just fits better into my ear and isolation is dramatically better as a result..i think it has something to do with the westone being smaller and angled a bit differently...if both had the same comfort and isolation i would choose the shure's but in the real world i tend to prefer the westone

1. If you switched the tips over to the SE530, would that change your opinion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henweee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking everywhere on both IEMs for the lowest price and somehow the UM2 Black is still at the high price and Shure is a little lower than the new UM2 price.

1. I bought mine from official dealers (see OP). Are you talking about just the earphone themselves or the whole package as I got? The SE530 earphones themselves would be cheaper if you subtracted the difference in accessories compared to the UM2.

I noticed more votes than posts...hopefully not skewed (you guys do own(ed) both right)?

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 24
Se530 authorized set is around usd350 while um2 usd250. That's usd100 differences. For se530, u will want to buy an authorized set rather than taking risk with the cracking cable problem.

Just as sidenote, se530 cost exactly twice the price of um2 at my country. Go figure
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by viewy21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see why the fit might be better (but tips are exchangeable?), however how come the cable? I'm not jogging, but I don't think there is a difference in microphonics. Weight? I'm not feeling it?

For me, I never take much notice about UM2 cable when I am moving around, mainly because of its light weight and softness. The same can't be said to SE530 cable, especially when there is a big mini-to-mini extension in the middle.

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Se530 authorized set is around usd350 while um2 usd250. That's usd100 differences. For se530, u will want to buy an authorized set rather than taking risk with the cracking cable problem. Just as sidenote, se530 cost exactly twice the price of um2 at my country. Go figure
smily_headphones1.gif

1. UM2 for $250? Nice. Like I said, it was about ten dollar difference for me.
    icon10.gif

Quote:

For me, I never take much notice about UM2 cable when I am moving around, mainly because of its light weight and softness. The same can't be said to SE530 cable, especially when there is a big mini-to-mini extension in the middle.

1. ah, I see. I kind of think the SE530 extension was kind of unnecessary, meaning that it might be better for it to be one long cable. I suppose they designed as is mainly due to the PTH?

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

your right the cable is heavy, good in some ways but just more cumbersome. was the e500 different?? i heard the e500 cable was not modular so never had the big mini mini in the middle. never had an e500 in my hands tho only se530

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 24
I owned both, though I used them for different applications.

I really grew to prefer the Westone. I find them more comfortable, both in the ear canal and in the cartilege-y recess of the ear. Westone makes hearing aids, so this is little surprise.

I, personally, find the bass on the Westone to be more realistic. I used them as on-stage monitors when I played bass more often, and they really conveyed the reality of my bass tone far better than the Shures. The combination of comfort and bass accuracy was what I really needed, so my choice was clear. Your choices are really quite different, though.

in addition, I have met the individuals from Westone, and they're from my home town, so that weighed in their favor as well. You obviously have none of those prejudices.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #23 of 24
I currently have both and use regularly.

Slight edge to SE530 for SQ. Slight edge to UM2 for fit and ergonomics. If I could only have one in would probably be the Shure because it is slightly more detailed but UM2's are still so lush and smooth and natural sounding......

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #24 of 24
Ti;s actually really hard, if you want a more flat sound, and a slightly thumpier low frequency, go for the Westone Um2. If you want a more vocalized and a earphone that's extremely well on mids, go Shure Se530. However, don't forget the new Westone 3 is one of the king's of Earphones now, replacing the spot of the Um2 as Westones Flagship...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back