one side louder? :: senn 280pro
Sep 10, 2002 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
One side of my sennheiser 280pro's is slightly louder than the other....

it sounds a touch more "open" on my left ear piece than the right.

is this normal? [i'm in the 40-50 hours range of burn-in]

is there any way it'll cure itself? or anything i can do?

i'm wondering if I should send them back? [this is already my 3rd sennheiser pair]

1st pair - one side was WAY louder than the other
2nd pair - one side blew out
3rd pair - *the one i'm on* = slightly louder

is this a manufacturer problem? or MY problem? I would really rather not go to a FOURTH pair..... that's 4 pairs of headphones i had to pay shipping for! maybe i should just ditch these all together and go for the V6/7506? [this is for studio purposes]

thanks for any input!
smily_headphones1.gif

frown.gif
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm not trying to worry you, but with other headphones is the volume louder on one side too? If thats the case, it may be hearing damage on one of your ears.

Sep 10, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 9
i was worried about that also
smily_headphones1.gif

but i tried other headphones & they sound fine! *wooOO* hahhahaa

more help??? I'm getting tired of wasting my time burning this headphone in, especially if i gotta return this for a FOURTH pair
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Oooh, bad news.

I didn't experience anything like that. Both sides were fine, it's just that until about 30-40 hours of break-in the 280 sounded like a gnat fart. Having said that I run them unattended most of the time.

But it does look to be faulty...

Perhaps you should look to a 7506, even if just to work the jinx out of your system
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 9
so this isn't a normal behavior with the chance of clearing itself up?

@()*#@()*#@# this is the 3rd round to the USPS to return these. Each time, the excitement dies when I get my returned product.

So frustrating all of these hours I've spent [well, not like i sit there & watch/listen
smily_headphones1.gif
] burning them in.

Is the 7506 that much of a difference [sonically]? I bought the 280pro's with the suggestions that it was just a smidgen better ????
smily_headphones1.gif

*studio purposes*

Sep 11, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 9
the forth pair? then u must like the 280s alot.

id be very frustrated if any first purchase is like that.

Sep 11, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 9
fortunately [or unfortunately?] i bought them from selectrebate, btw, they have a very efficient/excellent return policy [i should know!
biggrin.gif
].

I wish they carried the sony's now, since i've about had it with the 280pro's. Not that I don't like their sound, it's just I want my pair to be perfect since it's for rather critical listening [but not THAT critical].

This time, I might just return it & ask for a refund [to purchase the sony's] instead of asking for a FOURTH pair.

I can't believe this is happening. Sennheiser must really have bad quality control on this pair of headphones!

I hope if I change to the sony's, it'll be right on the 1st shot!

Sep 11, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 9
FWIW, I had a friend that purchased a pair of V6's that were imbalanced. The right side was a few dB quieter than the left side, so it felt like if you could just tilt your head to the right, the sound would "fall into equalization."
wink.gif

He was kinda' worried about it, but I told him to wait it out and see how it was after they worked themselves in a bit. It persisted for a while, but he said it cleared up after a few weeks. I borrowed them a few weeks ago (after he had owned them for about 2 months and 100+ hours of break-in) and there was no discernable imbalance between them.

They used to be extremely imbalanced...it was highly noticeable. But, after the break-in, they sounded just fine. However, you state that they still operated like that after 40+ hours? Curious...

Sep 13, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 9
i'm @ 50 hours burn-in.........

maybe I'll run it all weekend & see........

if not by then, i got to let them go.........

probably for a refund this time around & then i'll just get the 7506 :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back