One pair is NOT enough!
Jul 5, 2001 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
I think it's pretty well accepted here that a particular brand or model of headphone is best suited for a particular type of music. For example, many believe that Senns excel at classical, whereas Grados, particularly the SR-325, are better at rock, dance/techno. But, after listening to a few new CDs, I'm coming to the conclusion that, even within a particular musical genre, some 'phones are better suited for particular CDs simply because of the way the recording engineer mixed it.
A case in point is a CD I just took out of the public library, "The Songs of Pete Seeger," by various artists. The recording seems to have an emphasis in the upper bass/lower midrange, making everything through the HP-1s, sound rather "heavy." I tried the same CD with the MS-Pros and the sound is now very open, detailed, and, to my ears at least, "just right." Another CD I've been listening to a lot sounds best on the HP-1s, but sounds thin and almost shrill on the MS-Pros. Both CDs are consist of primarily acoustic music with male and female vocals.
So what's my point here? None really, except to make it clear that there is no one headphone that can "do it all." It's nice, as many people here have pointed out before, to have a choice of headphones for different music and moods........and now for the way the recording was made.
biggrin.gif

Anybody else grab a different headphone for a particular CD?

Jul 5, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Anybody else grab a different headphone for a particular CD?

Absolutely! I'm the same way. For example, for the Gladiator soundtrack, I'm starting to prefer my MDR-V6/7506 headphones, despite the fact that I almost universally prefer my HD-600's for classical music. There are other examples in my collection that cross my general headphone/music lines.

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by TerriblySorry
Is this a case of headphones as tone controls, or is there something more to it do you think?

That's certainly a big part of it for me. But there's more -- soundstage with the 600's is obviously better than with my V6/7506, and for some recordings (like some live jazz recordings I've got), it is of the utmost importance to the recording and reproduction. But, yes, again, the tone control aspect is certainly a big part of it.

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Good observations, joelongwood. I wonder how many headphone/amp reviews would have turned out differently if different CDs had been used.

Jul 5, 2001 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 11
I dunno, myself, I hardly use my Grado SR80s or any other of my phones anymore as I prefer my Beyer DT831s in all types of music... I guess I need some better Grados or something...

Jul 5, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm not sure if I agree with this proposition either. While it's nice to have different headphones, I could certainly live with my Sony CD3000s as my only headphones, and I could probably also live with the Senn 580s exclusively. I don't listen to my Grado 325s or SR80s at all any more, even for rock or dance.

Jul 6, 2001 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Is this a case of headphones as tone controls, or is there something more to it do you think?

I dunno. As i was posting this thread, the idea of tone controls definitely came to mind. It was "What if I just hooked up my equalizer? Would I be able to duplicate the sound of the MS-Pros with the HP-1s merely be cutting back on some frequencies while boosting others?" I believe it might disrupt the smoothness of the headphone. I'm sure I'll try it in the future, because it's an intriguing question.

Quote:

I'm not sure if I agree with this proposition either. While it's nice to have different headphones, I could certainly live with my Sony CD3000s as my only headphones, and I could probably also live with the Senn 580s exclusively.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that I could also live with any of my higher end Grados, particularly the HP-1s, as my only headphone. But when a recording, such as the one that sparked this thread, appeared, I would probably chalk it up as merely a bad recording, and not realize that a different headphone, with the same basic sonic signature (Grado) would yield a very pleasurable listening experience.

Quote:

I wonder how many headphone/amp reviews would have turned out differently if different CDs had been used.

Now THAT'S a damn good observation. Maybe we could have everybody use the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc when reviewing headphones. It would at least seem to eliminate one of the variables. Just a thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2001 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 11
joelongwood~

The above post you made... is that the speech you give to your wife when she questions you WHY in the world are you buying more Headphones ?
Nice try ~! lol~!

Tides

PS. j/k
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2001 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

The above post you made... is that the speech you give to your wife when she questions you WHY in the world are you buying more Headphones ?

Come to think of it, Tides.........after 30 years of marriage, and having lived through all my obsessions, she doesn't even ask "Why?" ....................................She knows.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 11
Just did an A/B/C/D comparison using my rig, the Chesky Disc track 3 Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon with these cans/buds:

1. Senn 580 (w/ Red Jaspis)
2. Beyer DT 250-80
2a. Sony 888
3. Senn MX 500

MG Head (with Mullard CV4004 and Yugo (Ei) El484) switch on low
NAD c541
Nordost Solarwind ICs

The 580 definitely won out, though all these cans/buds sounded great in their own way. The 580s were very detailed. There is a line in the song...and have to beg your pardon. The b and the p were very apparent, to the point that I could hear the air released when she sang the b and the p. The pluck of the guitar and the finger slide were very apparent, but not fatiguing. The bass was tight and resonated nicely. Again, the pluck was very detailed. The violins were sweet and airy. With the 580 I could tell there was more than one violin, whereas they sounded more muddled with the others. I could tell when separate notes were played on the piano. The shaker sounded slightly different as the commentator stated. This applied to each can/bud. The volume pot on the MG was at 10 o'clock for the 580. The others were at 9 o'clock, due to the 580s higher impedance.

The Beyers were darker, the bass was tight, but resonated more (closed phone). Not as detailed as the 580, but close. The soundstage seemed more limited, not as all encompassing as the 580. It may sound like I do not like my Beyers, on the contrary, I love them especially for my forays into dance/trance/and gaming. That is, until I receive my 325s! IMHO, the 250-80s are an excellent, but yet underrated/underappreciated set of cans.

The buds looked strange plugged into the MG! The surprise of this quick test were the 888s. Again, less detail than the 580, but on par with the Beyers. The plucks of the bass and guitar were present, but not as crisp as the 580 or 250-80. Bass was good, not as low as the cans and a bit boomy. IMHO, best buds regardless of price. Thanks again Vertigo!

The MX 500s bass was a bit more boomy, still the detail is pretty good, but the b and p were less apparent. Again, the shaker sounded different with every shake. Great bargain.

Well, there you have it in a semi-small nutshell. The differences are apparent, but yet each piece of equipment brings their own representation of the music to my ears.

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back