One more seeks the truth… Audio-Technica AH-CK10 vs Westone UM3X
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

CENTRAL

100+ Head-Fier
Since the euro/ dollar rate is so much in favor of the euro as we speak, I decided to make my move for an IEM with more bass capabilities than the HF5.

Ideally what I’ m looking for is an IEM with the mids of the HF5 (the area it really shines) but stronger bass & treble presence.

My preferred music is rock & metal, but I wish for an all-round IEM that suits all genre.

No amplification will be used, just the output of my Sony X1050 DAP.

Can u please help?

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 30
i cannot tell you which you will like better of course, but they are both incredible iems. depends on what you want. if you want tiny with beautiful craftsmanship, go AT. If you want better cable with a bit more warmth, go UM3x.

the AT is 50 or 55 ohm making it a pretty good iem to use from portables since it won't stress the capacitators too much. it is pretty sensitive though and hisses. both are great phones soyou won't go wrong either way.

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 30
I can find the ATs for $199! which I guess is a fantastic price...

I care much more about SQ than anything else, and fit is also important (by fit I mean comfort basically...)

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 30
$199 for the ck10's? Buy them, now!

I tried the X with my ck10's, briefly in store and only with the preloaded stuff, but the sound was absolutely brilliant, especially with clearbass at +1.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$199 for the ck10's? Buy them, now!

I tried the X with my ck10's, briefly in store and only with the preloaded stuff, but the sound was absolutely brilliant, especially with clearbass at +1.

I guess it's because of the forthcoming model - CK100.

Other than clearbass, do you use any more EQ? - what are the other settings?

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Other than clearbass, do you use any more EQ? - what are the other settings?

The ck100 may be even better, but at that price the ck10's are the indisputable king of the hill.

It was only a very brief test of the X vs S9, to make my mind up on which to go for (I still don't know). I used the X with only clearbass, no EQ or any other DSP. I found the bass a little lacking without CB, but at +1 or even +2 it was perfect for my taste, +3 is for bassheads.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ck100 may be even better, but at that price the ck10's are the indisputable king of the hill.

It was only a very brief test of the X vs S9, to make my mind up on which to go for (I still don't know). I used the X with only clearbass, no EQ or any other DSP. I found the bass a little lacking without CB, but at +1 or even +2 it was perfect for my taste, +3 is for bassheads.

This is very interesting since you had the chance to listen to the combination of the two.

Would you please take a minute to describe the sound of the combo?

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

the ck100 was released some time ago, but the US market has yet to have distribution.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by muscular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ck100 was released some time ago, but the US market has yet to have distribution.

There is actually a great price variation in US dealers for the CK10.

The lowest price is $199 and I can also see it being sold for over $300...

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mokshaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where are the CK10s available for $199?

ebay.com

seller: monster hobby - username: cotoblue

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 30
Buy.com has the CK10 for $180.99.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy.com has the CK10 for $180.99.

WOW! Excellent price. Let's see if they will ship to europe...

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

This is very interesting since you had the chance to listen to the combination of the two.

Would you please take a minute to describe the sound of the combo?

It was very brief and in a shop, so there wasn't any real in depth listening possibilities and I am unfamiliar with the preloaded music of the X. As far as I could tell the highs vere sparkly, without sounding sibilant or harsh, mids were smooth, bass was present and very high quality, soundstage seemed very big.
Compared to my Cowon D2, the X seems much beefier and paired with the ck10's I would choose the X every time. (compare the X to S9, and it's a different story though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back