one click converter (wav to flac)
Aug 13, 2009 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm tired of converting all my wav files to flac manually...

Does any of you know if there is a good and simple programme, that can copy a lot of music folders and convert them into flac with just one click? So that I keep the folders with the wav files while the programme creates a new copy of the folders and files in flac. It would be such a relief!

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Max from sbooth.org
Drag files and/or folders, then one click to convert those to your specified codec(s).

Thanks, krmathis, I'll be looking into that very soon. The main thing is, that the programme will be able to manage large folders. Convert speed is not a big issue. As long as the job is done. Is it easy to use? I mean like: drag and drop, choose format and destination - and done?

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 16
Aug 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it easy to use? I mean like: drag and drop, choose format and destination - and done?

Yeah, it seems to do exactly what you want. Easy to use as well..

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Foobar is able to do this as well. Your tags should be perfectly tagged otherwise it won't work too well. Seeing that those are .wavs they might not be tagged at all? What OS are you using btw?

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 16
dbpoweramp is one rt click away from converting your files. In order to select all files in different folders in one swoop just do a search... ex..*.wav in a specified directory so you can select all the wav files in all subfolders then select them all then rt click-convert to flac... boom youre done
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 16
decided to rip all my cd's and put it all on two different harddrives in wav/flac and from here stick with vinyl :)

dbpoweramp and foobar could be my choice, if max fails. I don't like software. I use media player to rip (because I know it). Then i just manage everything in folders. Use flac frondend to convert, but can't seem to find a way to convert folders, so I have to convert every single album manually (it's a war). Use media player to play wav. Sometimes foobar to play flac, but mostly just launch the flac files I need to my portable player. I don't like tags. I guess I'm one of those difficult persons, who just don't want to get used to any software, want to have a system of folders so close to cd's on a shelf as possible, and want it done quick and clean...

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 16
Max is Mac OS X only, while dbpoweramp and foobar2000 is MS Windows only...
So depending on your OS, you have not mentioned, your choices are limited.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 16
Yeah, max is for mac. So I tried dbpoweramp. Very easy to use indeed. Except that I can't figure out how to make it create folders and subfolders. I just need an exact copy of the folders, I have created once. dbpoweramp converts the files very fast, but it doesn't create the folders. How can I make this work?

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 16
I guess I could convert the files to the same folders, that they belong to (in the wav folders) and then afterwards delete all the wav files. Then I would have an exact copy of all the folders, just with the files in flac format. Still a lot of files to delete manually...

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Dead easy, what's the problem? Use batch converter, as long as you have cue files to retrieve track info. Do a test with a album, see if it's working ok, do the whole lot leave wav's until sure all ok, and do a delete within dos command prompt

D: [drive designation]
cd\ [whatever your music directory is]
del *.wav /s

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 16
@iriverdude: "a delete within dos command prompt" - not sure this is something, I should be doing. I don't even know what dos prompt is :) Anyways, thanks for advice. If I have to delete the wav files manually, it's still an easier thing to do, than create all the folders once again!

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 16
You don't have to create any folders either, the encoding software does that and it'll be in another directory to your wave files.

If you've got thousands of wave files it's faster to do it within dos box, rather than searhing for wave files, selecting all then deleting.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for input everyone. Here's how I got through it: Copy folder to desktop. Run dbpoweramp batch converter and choose "original folder" as destination. find the wav files in the new folder [*.wav]. Delete them all.

Didn't find out how to get dbpoweramp to create folders, but copying it all and then delete the wav's was pretty easy as well :)

Thanks again. head-fi.org is such a great place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back