One channel gone in my Ety's after two weeks...
Jul 24, 2002 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to replace the filters when I get home in a few days, but surely, one of them can't be blocked already, can it? Ever since I got them, I've been meticulous when it came to the cleanliness of my ears.

I'm actually praying that it isn't something else, I bought them when they were a few weeks old off of another Head-Fi'er - so I'm not sure where the warrranty stands.
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 28
unhappyman
frown.gif

I had a scare the other night, the left channel of my 531s just stopped...

Turned out my cat had been playing with the cable and pulled it part way out of the jack on my amp.

Let's hope your problem is simple and you're back up and rockin' soon.

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 28
Damn! I just found a tiny crack in the left transducer. That is the reason. The sound is leaking out before it reaches the tip.

It just doesn't make sense. I was listening to my favourite CD, and then suddenly, boom, no sound in the left channel. Why would it just crack like that?!? I'd expect better for what I paid!
mad.gif

I am in real trouble now. I don't know if they can be fixed easily, or cheaply. I sacrificed so much for these ER-4P's, and I only got to enjoy them for less than two weeks. I walked to high-school in the rain for these, HappymaN is definitely very sad.

I just want to cry.

frown.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 28
What the hell? I thought these Etys were supposed to be invincible! You were supposed to be able to put them through the washer, run them in a blender, drop them in a bucket of nuclear waste, etc!
tongue.gif

Seriously, though, why don't you go ahead and post the Head-Fi'er's nick here and we'll all chip in with some spam and viral attachments straight to his email.

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
What the hell? I thought these Etys were supposed to be invincible! You were supposed to be able to put them through the washer, run them in a blender, drop them in a bucket of nuclear waste, etc!
tongue.gif

Seriously, though, why don't you go ahead and post the Head-Fi'er's nick here and we'll all chip in with some spam and viral attachments straight to his email.

If you read carefully, it is not his fault. They arrived to me in Australia in mint condition. Somehow this afternoon, the left transducer cracked while it was in my ear. It's just a hairline fracture that can barely be seen. I must have moved my jaw or something, I'm still in disbelief.
frown.gif
I thought that they were meant to be incredibly durable as well. I'm just shocked. I justified their high price by telling myself that they would serve me for many years to come, but they only lasted two weeks.

I just don't know what to do. $575AUS down the drain.
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 28
HappymaN
Can you call headroom and tell them about it? Headroom are very friendly and very helpfull. Maby they will fix them.

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 28
Etymotic is quite generous for it's customer service. They do it free in some cases. First give a call or email to the people you purchased from and tell them your story.

Or Theres always Etymotic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 28
HappymaN
Even though you didnot buy the etys from etomics or headroom you might be surprised at the service that they would still give you.

Jul 24, 2002 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 28
You should still do a filter swap. For all we know that hairline crack that you can barely see can just be the plastic moulding. Also you talked about your eartips going yellow even though you keep your ears clean. Unfortunately that is still an indication that you could have been an earwax machine in your early usage of Ety's.

As for buying them when they were only a few weeks old...well if bought from Headroom, anything a few weeks old could have been returned for a full amount.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 28
It's not the filters.

I contacted the Head-Fi'er who I bought them from, and he said that he had contacted Etymotic, and they were going to fix/replace them for me. That's what they said to him, but they haven't emailed me back as of yet.

They were purchased from Headroom in December last year, and I bought them from the Head-Fi'er about three weeks ago.

I'm feeling a lot better now, and am awaiting an email form Etymotic.

I'm beginning to wonder about the durability of these phones.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx

Why would you say something like this? Would you like it if I sent spam and viruses to *your* e-mail? Even if you didn't mean it, there could be a jerk reading it who would take you seriously.

Why don't you get the facts before jumping to conclusions.

HappymaN saved up for these Etys and I will make sure he gets his money's worth from them.

Johnny

Jul 25, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyLightOn
Why would you say something like this? Would you like it if I sent spam and viruses to *your* e-mail? Even if you didn't mean it, there could be a jerk reading it who would take you seriously.

Why don't you get the facts before jumping to conclusions.

HappymaN saved up for these Etys and I will make sure he gets his money's worth from them.

Johnny

first off, it's obvious he was joking and i thought it was pretty funny.

secondly, when you buy used stuff, you are asking for problems. how many people buy a used car that's five years old, then bitch and moan to the dealer when it breaks down? boohoo, that's what you get. i'm sure he can get them fixed, there's no need to cry/fight about it.. sheesh.

Jul 25, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 28
HappymaN:

You also might consider sending a PM to Don Wilson, who frequents these boards and is from Etymotic. I suspect that he would be shocked to hear your story and gracious in helping you get them repaired/replaced, as he has been so gracious to so many of the Head-Fiers. I suspect as well that he would be interested in seeing your actual unit, since it sounds like either the plastic just had a flaw in it or something very strange happened to them. I have had my etymotics a long time and put them through a fair amount of abuse without ever having a problem. Best of luck in your repair quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back