ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on it
Jul 29, 2010 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
What is the one amp that has a huge variety of the same tube but are made by different companies. EXAMPLE: Woo Audio 6 only has 1 tube (Sophia Princess) that can be used on it, and im not sure there are any other 5AR4 tubes that you can buy.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 8
everyone made 5ar4 in the past.

Tuberolling is a pretty rough pastime. Once you get beyond flavors of the same tube (every various version of the 6sn7 for example) at best you get something that sort of works, at worst you let the smoke out of the amp.

Why not use the amp with the tubes it was designed to use, and just roll amps? Considering what people spend on tubes its not actually an unreasonable suggestion. I know the answer to this question*, and asked it half hypothetically, but it is serious... why not?

*The answer is that this is head-fi.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 8
i'm not sure i get what you're saying, cifani090. 
but, for the rectifier on the WA6, there are tons of options out there.

5u4g
5ar4
gz34
274b
etc, etc.

emission labs and sophia are just a couple companies that make rectifiers currently.
and there are endless NOS rectifiers out there...

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 8
No, rectifier tubes have different values and power handling capabilities depending on the model.  The 5AR4 is interchangeable with the GZ34 and CV1377, but something like a 5Y3 is not going to replace the 5AR4 unless you modify the amp.

I'm with Nikongod about tuberolling.  Yes, there is a limited benefit, but you'll spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing NOS tubes and rare reproductions.  Often, this costs more than it would cost to buy another amp.  Further, my interest lies in the variation of tube circuits and different models of tubes.

I think you're better off buying the amp you want with the circuit you think is best.  Find a set of well-made tubes that work, then run them until they burn out.  If you want a different flavor, then get another pair of headphones or an amp with a different circuit.

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 8
It depends on the tube itself and what applications it's used in.  Power tubes generally live shorter than preamp tubes.  Each amp drives tubes differently, so amp A might run an RCA 6AS7G power tube for 5000 hours, whereas amp B might run the same tube 1000 hours.

Quote:
How long does a tube last?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back