Once and for all--EQCDs for the Sony EX70: the Complete Guide
Mar 29, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #18 of 66
Well there's me
etysmile.gif

Glad you enjoy the mod. If you find the bass is not enough you can just boost it back up yourself, obviously.
biggrin.gif

When making my EQ profile I did not take the direct result of subtracting the frequency response of the ER-4 and the EX70 either--I found the treble a bit lacking and boosted some treble frequencies a bit.

To my ears a pair of well broken-in EX70 has at least as much bass response using my EQ profile as the ER-4P. That was before the ER-4P was broken in though; the etys sound better than the EX70, EQed or otherwise, and it's more convenient to use the etys directly than to EQ all the tracks you listen to before putting it on your portable player, so now the etys are well broken-in and I think I gave my EX70s to my little brother. (Incidentally I think he's on his third pair
rolleyes.gif
he treats his phones rough
evil_smiley.gif
)

And no, I have no idea how much alike the EX70 and EX51 sound like
smily_headphones1.gif
Seeing as the EQ settings made your phones sound better not worse they must share some common traits I guess.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 29, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 66
Would I boost it using my nitrus' EQ(5-band)? And what would I boost it? At the 80hz or the 250 hz? And how much do I boost it. It seems you can boost it up to 14db, by 1 increment.

Or do I boost it during th eq process? And how would I do that? Thank you sooooo much, hope to hear form you soon. My ears are much more happy!!! Unfortuanly I'm a student and am unable to afford the ety 4 let alone the ety6
frown.gif

I know this may seem like I'm trying to ask alot... but I was just wondering if you were ever going to make the ex70/ex71/ex51(supposably almost the same) sound like the Shure e5c? I you have or if you were going to I'll be glad to try that out
wink.gif

Anyways, thanks alot for you help!
etysmile.gif
(imagine that etysmile as my EX51EQ)

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 66
i would use the shibatchi eq, it has 20 bands. you could use the 5 band, but i would turn down the 250 AND the 80hz freq. good luck, ask if you have any more q's

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #22 of 66
oh, which freq is the 5th?? i turned down the 3k through 8k a bit, to your pref, then turned up the 14k -20k a bit respectively. i also turned up the 20-40hz band.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #23 of 66
I have the Ety ER-6 and a Karma, which already has a 5-band parametric equalizer. I've also found a good setting that fills out the ER-6s very well. Would using this method to re-rip mp3/ogg be worthwhile? Like, could i make my ER-6s actually sound like the ER-4P?
eek.gif
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #24 of 66
i havent done it.. i have the er6 with Iriver 550, the eq on the 550 works fine enough to eq it out, sounds really good now. besides, if you want to play it in your car or home stereo, or even diff phones, it will sound wierd. just my 2 cents

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Lil'Andy
Would I boost it using my nitrus' EQ(5-band)? And what would I boost it? At the 80hz or the 250 hz? And how much do I boost it. It seems you can boost it up to 14db, by 1 increment.

Or do I boost it during th eq process? And how would I do that? Thank you sooooo much, hope to hear form you soon. My ears are much more happy!!!

Your preference of course. If you've already made a bunch of mp3s that you don't want to re-encode you could try and see if the nitrus' EQ is good enough. The 80Hz slider probably applies more to the frequency bands you're looking for. Otherwise experiment with the Shibata EQ playing wavs on the computer to hear what setting sounds good before encoding some new mp3s. I'd probably make a gentle rollup from below 220Hz (i.e. boost 156 a bit, then 110 some more, then 77 some more...) and delete the 0-20Hz and 20-40Hz parametric EQs to avoid clipping.

Quote:

Unfortuanly I'm a student and am unable to afford the ety 4 let alone the ety6
frown.gif

I know that feeling
wink.gif
oh but the ER4P/S are more expensive than the ER6
wink.gif

Quote:

I know this may seem like I'm trying to ask alot... but I was just wondering if you were ever going to make the ex70/ex71/ex51(supposably almost the same) sound like the Shure e5c? I you have or if you were going to I'll be glad to try that out
wink.gif

Well, maybe if somebody pointed me to a comparison between the ER4 and the shure's frequency response...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 30, 2004 at 11:10 AM Post #26 of 66
"Unfortuanly I'm a student and am unable to afford the ety 4 let alone the ety6" Sorry bout that... I'mwas just really tired and wasn't thinking straight.

I tried using the eq on my nitrus. At level 3 the bass is improved ever so little, on level five it's much better but the voices get all muddy
frown.gif

I'm going to redo my songs on the weekend. Will tell you guys the results. I got to much stuff to do during te weekdays. Thank you very much.

Will try to find teh frequency response of the shure e5c

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #27 of 66
Well today I was on the bus and listened to it at a higher volume(12 on my nitrus) and found the bass very good with ny nitrus eq boost 3 on 80hz. I find that when I listen to dance/techno the bass is excellent, but when i listen to hip-hop and r&b the find the mid-bass lacking? Or is it becuase i'm use to the mid-bass being bloated? thanks in advance

Oh, and one last thing how much is a little bit?

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 66
do the tape mod. put tape over the 3 holes on it. that helps get rid of the mudd. i always boost the 20-40hz, and dont boost the rest very much at all on the 70's unless you have the tape mod. just make sure you dont clip.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 66
A custom EQ is called that, because you can adjust the thing yourself...
Why don't you just screw with it until you're happy with the settings? That's what I always do.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #30 of 66
alright will do that. The tape mod does fix up the bass, but it just reduces it even further and give this wear very closed feeling. I think i'll just re-encode them and mess around with the eq setting untill i'm happy. Thanks for all of your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back