On my visit to 32 Ohm Audio, and how my mind subsequently got blown.
Mar 31, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to several headphones including the 600/650's and I'll echo your sentiment, the 701's are the perfect headphone for me and mine aren't even re-cabled. I'll have to wait on that expense.

I recabled my 702 with Mogami W2534: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ak...-cable-378255/ I got around 20% better instrument separation / more air around the instruments, and more refined bass. I don't have experience with the ALO cables, but if you can get more than 20% improvement....lol, I'll need to recable my 702 again.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #33 of 41
Threads like this make me start to wonder if I should try a re-cable of my K701s, but my gut keeps telling me I'll get them back and won't be satisfied with how the money was spent. That, and at this point I think I'd rather just put that money towards a different headphone anyway.

Still I'll probably be using my K701 full time for at least the rest of this year while I save up for a T1 and can't help but wonder if sending them to ALO or Moon Audio would result in them being a better listen during said year. Of the many threads I've read about recabling the common element seems to be a gain in clarity which in my mind always refers to a gain in treble energy. The K701s are already so bright I can barely stand them, and only by finding very dark sounding tubes for my amp was I able to get them to a point where I can enjoy them so I'm afraid a recable would take things in the wrong direction.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #34 of 41
Can anyone link me the page of the K701 ALO cable from their official site? I can only find cable for K702 for some reason.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #35 of 41
Mine are a bit bright, I suppose, but not any more so than the DT990 Pros, I think. They've got a fair amount of mellow smoothness, though, and I don't find them fatiguing. I guess I should clarify. By mellow smoothness, I definitely don't mean boring. Drums sound excellent, and they're energetic and punchy. I guess the word is that they're not strident. They have a natural, satisfying tone to them.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you figure the 20% number? Do you have a separameter?
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you try to compare between the custom and the recabled version.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #37 of 41
Custom? What do you mean by custom? I heard the recabled ones, and the stock ones, straight out of the box. The recabled ones sounded warmer, more powerful, and fuller. I didn't listen to the stock ones for very long, and it was on my iPod, and there was a lot of ambient noise, so it wasn't really a fair comparison.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Custom? What do you mean by custom? I heard the recabled ones, and the stock ones, straight out of the box. The recabled ones sounded warmer, more powerful, and fuller. I didn't listen to the stock ones for very long, and it was on my iPod, and there was a lot of ambient noise, so it wasn't really a fair comparison.

Yes, I meant to the stock cable. and I think will be better to compare them both after a minimum of 150 hours. and maybe then calculate the percentages.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #40 of 41
Lots of ears prefer recabling.

I've put new cables on HD600 and HD800, and I've sent broken-in cans to pros for recabling ---- specifically, the Denon 2Ks and 7Ks. Every time it made a whopping difference. The Jena cable that Ken at AOL uses and that Mark at Lawton uses is absolutely awesome, at least to my ears.

FWIW

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:
Put me in the latter category. It was a night and day difference. If you'd blindfolded me, and handed me both, I could have easily believed the stock and recabled K701s were different headphones.

I am with you 100%. I re cabled my Q701s and they ARE different headphones. If I was blindfolded and you handed me both I would never for one second believe they are the same headphone. Cost me about $50. Best $50 I ever spent on audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back