On location mixing/monitoring
Jan 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jtheby05

New Head-Fier
I work for an online news website and I handle the on-set audio monitoring when we shoot on location. We have one show a week minimum that is outside of our studio and I'm looking for a few suggestions of headphones to use.

The primary use will be for mixing/monitoring, generally in open areas with background noise. We may get a few pairs for on location and our studio as well, so if there might be a better pair for in-studio versus on-location, any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't have a price range to go by. So possibly a few recommendations in low/mid/high price range would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 8
what kind of portable mixer are you using, if I may ask? (this is pure curiosity, and barely helps when choosing appropriate cans)

in any case, assuming this is 90% voice monitoring, with only the occassional need to capture environmental sounds, you can pretty much go with anything closed. i use MDR-7506's when I shoot video (of course only on a very amateur level), I find them very crisp and analytical, good for gaining an understanding of what it is your microphones are capturing - they excel at helping you match levels, even in the wind.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Most location sound guys use Sony 7506 due to its affordability, ruggedness, attenuation of ambient sound, ability to fold up for space saving, relatively low Ohms, and tipped up freq response which makes it easier to pick out problems in speech.

Sennheiser 280 Pros are also popular for the same general reasons, although the freq response is more neutral and accurate and they are just 32 Ohms. The 280s have even more background attenuation. 280 Pros have a design flaw in the headband which breaks easily (i've gone through 2 in two years; Sony has no such flaw).
The new Sennheiser 380 Pro may address this flaw...
Both the Sony and the Senn can be found for less than $100.

Other popular cans for location sound are the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II and the Beyerdynamic DT48 which are both considerably more expensive.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 8
I second the AKG K240, only it`s an open headset and sound leaking in/out might be a problem. Good pro closed I`ve tried are the Beyerdynamic DT770 and AKG K271 (now in MKII).

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 8
DT150 is a great headphone for such purposes.

infact its my fav studio monitoring h'phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back