On 'favourite headphones'
Oct 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
1. Regardless of how many here love your headphone, there will be at least one Head-Fier who is extremely vocal in voicing their dislike for it. Painfully vocal.

2. On good days, you wont care how many claim to loathe your choice - they are liquid gold. Everything you ever wanted in a headphone and more.

3. On bad days, you will find yourself realising that they may have a point about the piercing treble/booming bass/inadequate soundstage - think of it as a lovers tiff. She'll be back, and there you'll be - curled up in the foetal position mumbling her name.

4. You may come to view those who claim to also love your favourite headphone as sycophantic, and the critics as brutally honest. Its a surprise when it happens. Repeatedly.

5. Regardless of how many hours you rack up on the object of your affections, someone will tell you that they need more. About five hundred more, to be precise.

I could go on and on, but I have a short attention span. Feel free to add to these - its all in harmless fun, and I cant see anything in here that will provoke a religious war. Except with the sycophants who profess to love my Grados more than I do !
k701smile.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 29
6. You will spend years knowing at a gut level that you are an enthusiast of the perfect [*treble/bass/mids/neutral/wide soundstage/sparkly/crunching/slamming*] sound signature, and that's why you know that [*X*] pair of cans is brilliant. Then one day, your [*pal/ mate/ buddy/ crazy mother/ massage therapist/ cognitive behavioral therapist/parole officer/ sugardaddy*] will press you to try [*Y*] phones, and you'd discover with an epiphantic shudder that you totally groove to another distinctive signature. Suddenly, depressingly, you'll feel a deep unutterable contempt for the perfections of your previously favorite and objectively superior model of cans.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 29
7. You know they really are your favourite headphones when you realize that you've progressively spent $3000 trying to bring out the potential in a pair of $300 headphones.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 29
Only one truth be known - it is a never ending quest with but one caveat - the wallet
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only one truth be known - it is a never ending quest with but one caveat - the wallet
wink.gif

That could be reworked into a gorgeous modified Haiku:

"The Wallet:"

"One truth to be known (5)
Never ending quest save for (7)
One caveat, cash (5)

Haha

NK

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 29
9. You live happily on your plateau with your perfect headphones and their setup for two whole years. Then you find time on your hands and and decide to try a minor "mod" to the earpads. Now you find yourself hating the same sound you loved for years. You start to worry that maybe you can't go back. Maybe this really is the end of the relationship. You go into a corner, curl up, and cry.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 29
12: You notice yourself spending almost all of your time and free cash on music, not upgrades

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 29
15. You finally sell them, convinced that the grass is greener somewhere else, only to buy another pair within a month.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
14. You spend a fortune looking to find the perfect headphones and realise that you actually prefer a pair of budget headphones that you picked up on the way....

And you go back to that corner again, when you read the announcement that those headphones are discontinued.

Then you have someone in another country score you a pair. You rejoice!
beerchug.gif

Until a year later when some pretty young thing comes on the scene, and you forget how happy you were when you scored those cans, so you sell them to get this new FOTM...

And it wasn't as good, so you're back in the corner crying.

/is not autobiographical in the least
ph34r.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 29
16. Downgrading can be just as fun as upgrading.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except with the sycophants who profess to love my Grados more than I do !
k701smile.gif

How did I immediately know which cans you were referring to when I was reading your post?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back