On ear or around ear headphones? sound isolating or open-air? Help me decide
Nov 11, 2010 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tazzydnc

New Head-Fier
Since my Dre beats solo snapped in half I've been in the market for some new headphones for my iPhone.  I have no intention of replacing the beats: 1) their build quality is shoddy  2) After since having listened to many other headphones, I'm not nearly as impressed with their sound as I once was

Right now I have in my possession a pair of Bose On-ear headphones, and a pair of Skullcandy Rocnation Aviators (around ear).  I got them at the h.  Brace yourself: the Rocnation headphones for the most part sound fantastic.  Before you dismiss me thinking I'm deaf/crazy, I've tried a couple other sets of Skullcandy cans and their sound was simply awful, so I was pretty surprised when I noticed what brand they were when I was listening to them in the store.

The Rocnation's have a well-balanced, open sound to them, while the Bose are bass heavy with mids that sound almost distant.  I love how clear and punchy the drums sound with the Rocnations and the sound feels far more immersive than the Bose. My only gripes with the Rocnation's are that they aren't very comfortable after about 15 minutes of wear, that and the bass is almost non-existent.  Even after messing with the EQ, they lack that bass drum punch I like (though again, the other drums sound fantastic).

Is the "openness" of the sound I'm hearing from the Rocnation's a result of their around the ear design?  If so, then I'll definitely want the pair I get to be an around ear design.  Also, the Rocnation headphones do not black out noise even slightly.  Can passive noise-cancelling headphones deliver the same open yet immersive sound? 

The other headphones I'm considering are the Bowers & Wilkins P5 mobile headset:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX584ZM/A

And the Klipsch Image ONE mobile headset:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2984VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTk2NzU0MDM

Why these two pairs?  Well, I think I've given up on Bose, they're both in the Apple store, and I would prefer sound isolating/active noise-cancelling if they can still deliver that open/immersive balanced sound I'm looking for. 

I'd appreciate advice/input you all could give.  Thanks!

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 3
bump

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 3
It's hard to find a nice open sound on isolating or noise cancelling headphones.  Additionally, if isolation is needed, you will typically have better results from a headphone that uses isolation vs. noise cancellation technology. 

While an open sound can be found on many higher end IEM's, they are going to cost more than I think you're looking for.  For isolation and clear sound on the go, the best option I've ever found is to purchase the best IEM you can afford (I enjoyed many of the Shure models prior to getting into customs).  This option seems even better as many of the portable closed model headphones that have (some) isolation and do sound decent tend to be very high in price (thinking Audio Technica, Ultrasone, and Beyer). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back