On a mission to like jazz
Nov 19, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #826 of 5,021

This is Jazz Trance to my ears

freddie-hubbard-straight-life.jpg

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #828 of 5,021
Keith Jarrett with his European quartet. Things become amazing after the two-minute mark.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #829 of 5,021
I did a search of this thread and noticed that so far no one has mentioned the great Carla Bley. So I would like to correct this unfortunate oversight with a couple of videos featuring Bley's Lost Chords quartet with the fine Italian trumpet player Paolo Fresu. The recording these are from is Carla Bley's "The Lost Chords Find Paolo Fresu" - highly recommended.

First a little taste of the recording:

And a nice live video of the same group:

As always - Enjoy responsibly!

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #831 of 5,021
Okay so last night my wife and I went to a local pub for a couple of burgers and we were reminicing about the great burgers we used to get at The Tin Palace (a short history of The Tin Palace can be found here: http://www.furious.com/perfect/tinpalace.html). The Tin Palace was a really great but short lived jazz club on the Bowery in NYC which served wonderful burgers available with up to 5 toppings.

And as good as the burgers were (and they were fabulous!) the music was even better. One of our favorite groups was Arthur Blythe's In The Traditon quartet which was similar to the group listed below but usually with the late Hilton Ruiz on piano. This group recorded one album - Arthur Blythe - "In The Tradition" (1978) and consisted of Arthur Blythe - alto sax with Stanley Cowell - piano, Fred Hopkins - bass and Steve McCall - drums.

Here they are playing Duke Ellington's Caravan:

As always - Enjoy responsibly!

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #832 of 5,021
Another really great Mcbride album

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #833 of 5,021

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #838 of 5,021
Sonny Clark is another very fine piano player and composer from the hard bop era that has only been mentioned in passing in this on going thread.

Here is a video featuring all of what is perhaps Clark's best recording "Cool Struttin'" a 1958 Blue Note release featuring the killer band of Clark on piano along with Art Farmer - trumpet, Jackie McLean - alto sax, Paul Chambers - bass and Philly Joe Jones - drums. Give it a listen and I think you will start to understand Sonny Clark is considered one of the finest players and composers from the late 1950's hard bop era.

In fact Clark influence extends throughout almost all of the jazz community, from hard boppers to modernists to free blowers, so much so that back in 1985 a John Zorn led group called The Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet recorded an album of all Clark compositions called "Voodoo". "Voodoo" was considered by many to the one of the best jazz releases of 1985 and remains one of the most enjoyable of all John Zorn recordings. But just take my word on this, give a listen to their version of Clark's "Minor Meeting" from the "Voodoo" album and decide for yourself.

As always, Enjoy Responsibly!

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #840 of 5,021
Has anyone seen this? It looks great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back