On a mission to like jazz
Oct 19, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #811 of 5,010
Here something smooth and easy listening;SmoothJazz

Let's Get It Started by Jeffery Smith

Smile by Peter White (new album)

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #812 of 5,010
  He lost me about half way through ...
I do not follow his arguments about "it must be improvised to be Jazz" ... or is it just to counter any arguments against this project? - I am not sure what his intentions are. And all the agitated bs about Ellington and Parker not being canonized like Mozart or Beethoven? I thought it's about music and not about stickers that the Pope puts on people. Apart from the fact that neither M. or B. do have that sticker as far as I know. I will check out the recording but not to search for the "wrong notes"
wink.gif

edit : and I also find the band logo disgusting :
mopdtk_on_glass.gif

Isn't their logo only a sticker?

Anyway I happy to see that you read the piece even though your opinion of it differs quite a bit from mine.

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #813 of 5,010

Isn't their logo only a sticker?

Anyway I happy to see that you read the piece even though your opinion of it differs quite a bit from mine.

This is how it appears on the website of their record label Hot Cup ...

Anyway thanks for the orig. post.
It made me pull the original off the shelf and listening to it again, with my eyes closed via the HD800, hardly anything better on a Sunday afternoon
wink.gif
I guess the magic of these folks playing live together is impossible to reproduce and it doesn't really matter if another band plays the same notes.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #814 of 5,010
Guys what Benny Goodman records would you suggest - I dunno where to start

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #815 of 5,010
  Guys what Benny Goodman records would you suggest - I dunno where to start

You probably can't go wrong with one of his Greatest Hits albums...might not be a bad place to start if you're just getting into him.  I have his Live @ Carnegie Hall album and I've enjoyed it for years.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #816 of 5,010

You probably can't go wrong with one of his Greatest Hits albums...might not be a bad place to start if you're just getting into him.  I have his Live @ Carnegie Hall album and I've enjoyed it for years.

I got this to start - sounds great

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #817 of 5,010
I found a "Fast Eddie" Erickson CD for $1 at a thrift store yesterday. The name seemed familiar and I didn't have anything with banjo in it so I got it and I'm really liking it lot so far. I'm sure lots of you know him but I searched the forum and didn't find anything so I thought I'd share.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #818 of 5,010

Fumio Karashima Trio - Gathering

This is a great record if you can find it. Sorry, couldn't find any samples on YouTube.

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #819 of 5,010
I am listening to the new Music Matters Jazz LP, Somethin' Else. Truly amazing sounding. Cannonball Adderley and Miles at their best.

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #820 of 5,010
-> Fumio Karashima Trio - Gathering

I took it from my shelf after your post and it's gone back there.
High(est) quality sound recording but the musical performance is .. how can I put it ...it's just not swinging. 
Maybe they were just focusing on technical perfection too much.

I realized that there is a strange separation of the sounds (when listening over speakers). And inside the booklet there is a sketch of the positioning of the musicians in the studio and indeed there had been separating walls set up to prevent "sound spill over" to the other musicians and mics. It does help to catch the individual section or instrument very clearly, i.e. bass, drums, piano but it sounds a little strange, at least to me.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #821 of 5,010
Got this CD at Half Price Books for $3.59 in mint condition.

19 of his hits...Mostly jazz club performances. The guy loved to play the piano and the club crowds really got into it. Wish I could have seen him play!

The 'In' Crowd, Here 'Tis, Hard Days Night, Uptight, Wade in the Water -- classics from the 60's Jazz club scene.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #822 of 5,010
Your post seems to imply you think he already passed away.

You are pretty much mistaken:
http://www.ramseylewis.com/index.html
He is 80 and still touring with a packed calendar for 2014 - still 2 dates left for this year on Barbados Nov.29th and in Miami, FL Dec 19th.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #823 of 5,010
Your post seems to imply you think he already passed away.

You are pretty much mistaken:
http://www.ramseylewis.com/index.html
He is 80 and still touring with a packed calendar for 2014 - still 2 dates left for this year on Barbados Nov.29th and in Miami, FL Dec 19th.

Not what I meant...

Wish I could've have seen him play back in those clubs (era, energy, etc.) I can picture it when I listen to those older recordings.

Will strive to be very precise going forward...Thanks for correcting me!!! :wink:

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #824 of 5,010
cracker of an album 

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #825 of 5,010
  cracker of an album 

Thanks. I love this thread even though my jazz collection is half reasonable - Im always picking up new stuff 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back