On a mission to like jazz
Jul 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #631 of 5,021

Whatever.  I still think the use of the word disgraceful is an exaggeration but really, who cares?

Ken Burns: Jazz is available on Netflix.

Who cares? I believe that you care. And I will stick with disgraceful. No Sun Ra + no European jazz + no (or little) avant-garde + no fusion + no 1070s jazz = DISGRACEFUL!

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #632 of 5,021

Who cares? I believe that you care. And I will stick with disgraceful. No Sun Ra + no European jazz + no (or little) avant-garde + no fusion + no 1070s jazz = DISGRACEFUL!

+1 it is disgraceful - and now i'm about to watch it. Intrigued. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #633 of 5,021
I care so much that I've never watched a minute of the fukakta documentary! BTW, didn't you declare that you were withdrawing from any further dialog about it? Ah, I get it, you're one of those internet guys that's always got to get the last word in. Please, I can't wait to hear more outrage about the disgraceful TV show! The floor's all yours!:wink:.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #634 of 5,021
For anyone who is more interested in facts than in an overblown smack-down of the author because someone felt his favorite musician has been left out 
rolleyes.gif
:

On the PBS website you can find a lot of information on the Burns series :
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/about/

The series has been sponsored by :
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/about/about_sponsors.htm

Obviously all American corporations or foundations.
The series concept was a documentary about American Jazz.
So is it any surprise Jazz from other regions (e.g. Europe) has not been included ? Is this a valid reason to call it disgraceful ?
I don't think so but everyone is free to choose their own language. Just my $0.02.
Off to listen to some Jazz
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #635 of 5,021
  For anyone who is more interested in facts than in an overblown smack-down of the author because someone felt his favorite musician has been left out 
rolleyes.gif
:

On the PBS website you can find a lot of information on the Burns series :
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/about/

The series has been sponsored by :
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/about/about_sponsors.htm

Obviously all American corporations or foundations.
The series concept was a documentary about American Jazz.
So is it any surprise Jazz from other regions (e.g. Europe) has not been included ? Is this a valid reason to call it disgraceful ?
I don't think so but everyone is free to choose their own language. Just my $0.02.
Off to listen to some Jazz
biggrin.gif

+1 I think someone has another agenda.  I watched the first two episodes years ago. I think I'll look it up and watch the complete series.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #636 of 5,021
The Burns doc. is a good history of jazz. It did not and could not cover everything.

Back to recommendations. I have been listening to Sonny Rollins Road Shows Vol 3. Better recording than Vol. 1, but not quite as good as performance. Better than Vol 2 on both counts.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #638 of 5,021
  Good point - back to recommendations :

Oscar Peterson: "Exclusively for my friends"
4CD reissue of orig. 6 LP set

51aLDVGzjvL._SY300_.jpg

thank you for posting i wanted to get some good peterson a while back but didn't know where to look because he covered so much in his career. I love the song "wheatland" - have you heard it? 

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #639 of 5,021
  thank you for posting i wanted to get some good peterson a while back but didn't know where to look because he covered so much in his career. I love the song "wheatland" - have you heard it? 

This box set was my first introduction to Peterson right around '99.  It didn't take me long to purchase most of the available Peterson recordings shortly after hearing this.  I love this set.

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #640 of 5,021

This box set was my first introduction to Peterson right around '99.  It didn't take me long to purchase most of the available Peterson recordings shortly after hearing this.  I love this set.

I presume you have seen the Andre Previn interview on youtube. its great

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #641 of 5,021

Wow, I just watched the entire episode (7 clips), that was great, thanks a lot!
I checked my shelf and indeed I have "Last call At the Blue Note"
51YCB4ICLjL._SY300_.jpg

which does contain Wheatland - I haven't heard that disc in maybe 10 years. So I'll spin it again.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #642 of 5,021
  Wow, I just watched the entire episode (7 clips), that was great, thanks a lot!
I checked my shelf and indeed I have "Last call At the Blue Note"
51YCB4ICLjL._SY300_.jpg

which does contain Wheatland - I haven't heard that disc in maybe 10 years. So I'll spin it again.

Yea I remember when I first seen that interview on BBC4 - I was so impressed by it. And the song "wheat land" really got to me. Oscar was such a phenomenal player

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #643 of 5,021

I'm actually embarrassed to admit I haven't seen this.  I'm making it my sole purpose to get through this today.

On another note, a friend recommended the Neil Cowley Trio to me last night as a group I might like.  I've been listening to the Touch & Flee album and The Face of Mount Molehill albums.  I'm still not sure what to make of these guys, but I think I like it.  Has anyone ever seen them live?

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #644 of 5,021
  I'm actually embarrassed to admit I haven't seen this.  I'm making it my sole purpose to get through this today.

On another note, a friend recommended the Neil Cowley Trio to me last night as a group I might like.  I've been listening to the Touch & Flee album and The Face of Mount Molehill albums.  I'm still not sure what to make of these guys, but I think I like it.  Has anyone ever seen them live?

I haven't but I will check them out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back