On a mission to like jazz
Sep 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,011 of 5,021

And those are?

Well, I played every youtube and bandcamp link from the last 50 pages that still worked, and found the following which I have now added to my collection:

Andre Heuvelman - After Silence
The Cracow Klezmer Band - De Profundis
Gabor Szabo - The Sorcerer & More Sorcery
Steve Khan - The Blue Man
Eddie Higgins - A Fine Romance
Chris Botti - Chris Botti In Boston
Keith Jarrett Trio - Meaning of the Blues
Jimmy Cobb Quartet - Newest Blues

Thanks!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #2,012 of 5,021
The new Macy Gray jazz album by Chesky Records is a must try gents:

HEAD-FI USERS GET 25% OFF STRIPPED FROM MACY GRAY ON HDTRACKS WITH CODE HEADFIMACY

"Sounding beautiful in the surroundings, you can hear the clicks on the bass strings, and the brushes on the side drum as it shuffles and dances sedately onwards. Over the top is ‘that’ voice, which was always (at least on the evidence of this) destined to be comfortable and (probably more importantly) authentic within Jazz. It’s so authentic, you can almost smell the tobacco stained late night club. Brilliant stuff." - Jim, Backseat Mafia

"This album comes to life in a pair of headphones." - Allie Martin, Black Grooves

"Macy Gray Is Back and Better Than Ever" - Elias Leight, Vogue

"This record showcases Macy Gray in what might be her bona fide persona. Gray is a throwback to the early days when jazz singers were not pretentious, but had to rely on their innate talent to carry the tune with raw emotion and sensual grace. Let's hope Chesky and Gray hook up again for an encore performance. " - James Nadal, All About Jazz

One Of The All-Time Greatest Voices Joins Chesky Records

One of the most iconic and instantly recognizable voices in music history is back in a way you've never heard before. Macy Gray makes her Chesky Records debut with her new jazz-infused album, Stripped. Paired with an awe-inspiring jazz ensemble that includes Ari Hoenig, Daryl Johns, Russell Malone, and Wallace Roney, Macy's voice is given the space and freedom to truly shine. Featuring new original songs, intriguing covers, and stunning new arrangements of her classic hits like "I Try," there's something for everyone on this timeless recording.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #2,015 of 5,021
I have to check it out on TIDAL myself...I'm one of those who always liked Macy Gray's voice.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #2,016 of 5,021
Monterey Jazz Festival is coming this weekend September 16-18, 2016. Here's the lineup. I plan on being there on Sunday. I hope the weather holds.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #2,018 of 5,021
OK, glad you guys are just having fun..."heated discussions" on Head Fi are not always good natured, sometimes get downright nasty!

Hi, back after a few months with little time to post. I didn't know about the possible nastiness, perhaps because I haven't been here for long enough, but I'm not like that :) and really I was playing the devil's advocate, I'm actually in agreement with ralphp-optonline :D

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #2,019 of 5,021
Well that's because we are jazz fans and not audiophiles :L3000:

Question:

Why is okay to have non-jazz artists perform at jazz festivals (for proof just look at the artist lineup of just about any jazz festival) but a classical music festival would never have a rock group performing?

That's a very good question, I would very much like to see that. I seems to me though that more and more "pop" artists are doing projects with "classical" orchestras which is a good thing, and not only songs arranged for orchestras but also original music by pop or rock artists composed for orchestras. This reminds me of a cd I have with a collaboration between John Scofield and Anthony Turnage:
http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/turnage-scofield-scorched-john-scofield-john-patitucci-peter-erskine-frankfurt-radio-symphony-orchestra-hr-big-band-hugh-wolff/0002894747292

Of course on the Jazz orchestral side there's Ornette Coleman: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/skies-of-america-ornette-coleman/5099706356820
And someone we don't hear much of on my side of the world, Bruce Cale: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kc9D3FKGtU

Oh and I was about to forget, as a George Russell obsessed man: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTF30qIxcw

Cheers, Pierre

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #2,020 of 5,021
Monterey Jazz Festival is coming this weekend September 16-18, 2016. Here's the lineup. I plan on being there on Sunday. I hope the weather holds.

Man, looked at the line up, definitely jealous!
Have a great time!

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,021 of 5,021
I don't get the whole thing with non-jazz artists being at Jazz festivals, if it is really supposed to be a "Jazz Festival" as advertised.

This happens every year at the Rochester Jazz Festival.  I actually sent the festival head an email asking him why Willie Nelson was at the festival and questioning why they called it a Jazz festival and maybe they should get some Jazz headliners.  The guy got all ticked off and said something like "do you think I don't know these people are not Jazz artists?".  My reply was that, that was exactly my point. You know they are not Jazz people and you still have them there.  Why?

It has actually kept me (a die hard Jazz lover) from going some years.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,022 of 5,021

Great JAZZ lineup - not a soul, rap, R&B, rock, pop to be found. Now why can't so many other "jazz" festivals do the same?

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,023 of 5,021
  I don't get the whole thing with non-jazz artists being at Jazz festivals, if it is really supposed to be a "Jazz Festival" as advertised.

This happens every year at the Rochester Jazz Festival.  I actually sent the festival head an email asking him why Willie Nelson was at the festival and questioning why they called it a Jazz festival and maybe they should get some Jazz headliners.  The guy got all ticked off and said something like "do you think I don't know these people are not Jazz artists?".  My reply was that, that was exactly my point. You know they are not Jazz people and you still have them there.  Why?

It has actually kept me (a die hard Jazz lover) from going some years.

it's a matter of income, that simple..

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,024 of 5,021
Of course it's all business...NYC's JVC started doing that a long time ago, seems to be standard practice now.
(I also get ticked off about it, though, but not going to them when there is someone I DO want to see is like cutting off your nose to spite your face).

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #2,025 of 5,021

it's a matter of income, that simple..

Quite true, however that still doesn't explain why pop artists do not appear at classical music festivals. Oh wait, classical music often enjoys the benefits of government funding whereas jazz does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back