On a hunt for good headphones for PC gaming/music (~$200)
Jul 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Meiju

New Head-Fier
Hi lads,

I ordered a new laptop the other day and can finally return to online PC gaming after an unfortunate hiatus of over a year. Now that I'm back in business, I request your help on a hunt for a good pair of headphones!

Things I'm looking for:
- Preferably closed cans. If it matches my requirements and they're open cans, I will consider it as well.
- A neutral sound (no overbearing highs/lows)
- A pair that sounds good without the need of an amp driving it (unfortunately I'll be playing on a laptop and can't really spend much on an amp like a FiiO E7 or something)
- A brand/model that isn't too hard to find in stores (I'll be visiting the States in 2 weeks and I wanna be able to walk into a store and test it before buying it)

As for music, I mainly listen to progressive metal and trance/dnb. I'm not too familiar with the terminology, but I suppose I'm looking for something with a wide soundstage?

Thanks so much!

P.S. before you redirect me to the stickied thread for gaming headphones, I read through it but it doesn't quite help me (if that doesn't sound too arrogant in any way)

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 2
I recommend the Shure SRH840's Meiju.

Owning a pair myself, these are my main gaming/music headphones.  They are a very neutral pair of headphones with great detail.  They play the music exactly as it was meant to be recorded.  The bass is very responsive but doesn't have much impact but when I play games such as Counterstrike: Global Offensive, I can hear gunshots and footsteps very well.  The soundstage isn't the biggest in the world but the isolation and comfort really make up for it.  They close out ambient noise very well and I can wear them for 8+ hours before I need to take them off for a break.  However be warned that the clamping force is initially a lot tighter than it is now so you will need to wear them a bit before they start to conform to your head.  They are also only around 150 USD on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back