omg the ps-1's are speakers
Jun 8, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #46 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
There's a certain PS-1's hype nowadays...
tongue.gif

Normally I would agree 100% that most of the talk on these phones is just "new phone hype". Unfortunatly.....six of the seven people on this site who's opinions I value most have described this headphone to be VERY good. The seventh (like me) hasn't heard them yet either. I'm a major sucker for deep, clean, bass through headphones. This is one area I have found lacking in both the RS-1 and HP2 I owned. Maybe third Grado time would be the charm?
Oops...make that the fourth, I forgot the MS2.

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #47 of 77
The PS-1 is the best headphone experience I've ever had, and that was sans any synergous amplification and on mid-fi sources. The SoCal meet will have very nice sources and Grado-sympathetic amps galore. I'm scared for my wallet (the R10s presence is also worrying me). However, the comfort issue is one to consider, especially if the PS-1 is one's only headphone; they are extremely heavy and the weight isn't distributed as well as the Audio-Technicas and other high-end cans. The PS-1 is easily the heaviest Grado, but its sound is simply so amazing that it's worth it to me (spending that much on a headphone is another issue, but with my new job it may not be such a financial burden).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #48 of 77
yah the ps-1 kicked out butts at the berkeley meet.

If someone wants negatives I will give it to them.

1. They are uncomfortable as hell!!!!!!
If you don't think so you are either lying, lying down or...
I am sorry for calling you a liar. You are obviously incredibly tough and I don't want you to be mad at me.

2. No nifty 3D soundstage.
If you like your instruments to come at you like a hollywood action movie you are out of luck. Try the cd3k.

3. [size=small]$1,400[/size]

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I'm a major sucker for deep, clean, bass through headphones.

Please tell us what you think when your PS-1 arrives
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif

If you like your instruments to come at you like a hollywood action movie you are out of luck. Try the cd3k.

actually to me it has better soundstage then the rs-1, but not as close as my 325's. it seems to be coming out more and more like the 325's to. after some burn-in i dont think this will be a issue.

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #51 of 77
ssshhhhhh, I am trying to avoid this becoming a flavor of the month.

Honestly though, I think the soundstage is more in the realm of imaging, as there is plenty of instrument separation and depth.

What I am talking about is that sounds coming from above/behind/below feeling. Listen to a cd3k you will see what I mean. Really cool when under the influence, really annoying when not.(IMHO)

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #53 of 77
Yeah, welcome to Grado, an company who doesn't really want to be in the international market, and tells us that with their prices.
wink.gif
But that's their choice.

BHD, I think it's the Nad, it's just going to be great with whatever you pair with it.
wink.gif

Congrats on your setup, I'm glad you found your audio nirvana.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #54 of 77
The grado lines soundstage can be improved via pads.

I used senn 600 pads to much success. Imagine a custom made pad thats similar to a r10 pad only smaller. It would be outstanding.

One of the problems of the 600 pads was psychological, your always wondering if they are on right or leaking sound(when in fact they probably were fine....). Those flat, bowl pads really are bottlenecks in my opinion.

k.s.

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
guys and gals have you ever noticed the black circle ring that holds the metal cup on the headband is actually the same metal then the cup itself, just painted black with a sharpie marker? I can see the marker strokes easily....I remember the rs-1's being a platic ring.

Dude, i think you need to stop buying your Grados out of the back of white vans coming back from an installation with left over gear!
biggrin.gif
I just checked the black ring on my RS-1 and it's definitely metal just like my PS-1s and both of mine appear to be enameled, they sure aren't colored in with Sharpies!
eek.gif
I can't say that I mind the cord pressing, I can't see it happening while I'm wearing them. The only nit I have to pick is that one of the cups isn't entirely smooth in it's turning and occasionaly when it moves it makes a clicking noise I hate. I think it's gonna be getting some oil pretty soon...

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #57 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Normally I would agree 100% that most of the talk on these phones is just "new phone hype". Unfortunatly.....six of the seven people on this site who's opinions I value most have described this headphone to be VERY good. The seventh (like me) hasn't heard them yet either.

You know, I meaned it in rather positive than negative way. If Grado would release them as a flagship and the price would be at least under (say) $1000, more people would buy them and I believe it would become even a product of the year. For the same dimension as wooden RS-1's, the aluminum alloy is easier and cheaper to manufacture, the price should be around $600. Those $800 are "lost in translation".

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #58 of 77
Quote:

1. They are uncomfortable as hell!!!!!!
If you don't think so you are either lying, lying down or...
I am sorry for calling you a liar. You are obviously incredibly tough and I don't want you to be mad at me.

LOL, Well I find them quite comfortable and really don't notice the weight. The biggest problem I have with mine is that since they are balanced I have two cords coming off them that feed in from the side and in combination wind up being quite stiff and tend to exert considerable pressure when i move my head from side to side. Since it's usually going up and down when I have them on, that isn't as much of a problem as you might think!
tongue.gif

Quote:

I have three words for you on this one: "Gilmore Balanced Reference," makes their soundstage about as deep as the 650s running on an unbalanced amplifier...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Please tell us what you think when your PS-1 arrives
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Tom is being very studly on this issue and I think demonstrating tremendous self-control and discipline, I even offered him the loan of my pair after the Southern California meet and he turned them down. I'm guessing he'll last about two weeks before ordering them!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #59 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
and if there was a van i would steal it....lol

Heh, me too and there aren't many things that would tempt me that strongly.
tongue.gif
I can't see me selling any of them either, I'd probably rent a bunch of safety deposit boxes around town and stash a few in each for future use...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #60 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Quote:

I have three words for you on this one: "Gilmore Balanced Reference," makes their soundstage about as deep as the 650s running on an unbalanced amplifier...

so... how about if the PS-1 is running unbalanced off of the gilmore balanced reference?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back