omg the ps-1's are speakers
Jun 8, 2004 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
well got mine in today, and let me tell you rite out of the box they sound amazing, i never heard headphones like these.

sure you read all the pro threads about these cause its true, well not really they are alot better then the peeps make them out.
i onbly have about 2 hours on them and if this is any way they will sound after burn-in then the $1400 is well worth it.

my setup is as follows
nad542>monster cable 400II>ra-1>ps-1

now please take note that the cables and the amp are a weakness, but the ps-1's still rock.

I will let you know more as burn-in settles but let me say this fact about the ps-1's...........

ok we all have tried different companies headphones rite? sure some of us tried some big heavy great sounding stuff rite? well let me ask you this....

ever walk into a hifi audio shop and just for kicks listen to there most exspensive 2 channel stereo speaker set up, you know the kind with the $14,000 speakers and the $4,500 cd player and the $2000 worth of cables and the $3,500 amp?????

lets take the thought back a moment...
$14000 - $4500 - $200 - $3,500

ok

you got that rite?

sure?

now lets take a few zeros out to make it fun....

$1400 - $450 - $200 - $350

ok well thats the cost of my set-up but it sounds more like the 2 channel speaker set-up rite out of the box, the ps-1 are the closeted thing i heard that sound like a speaker, mainly cause of their bass continues throughout the song at different levels while retaining all highs and mids....just like $14,000 speakers.

order yours today....hell i might order another pair, serious these arent your moms rs-1's.....nonononono

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 77
eek.gif
I sure hope $1400 appears in my hands soon.

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 77
BHD812:

You must REALLY love your Grado Professional Series-1 cans because you can't even type or spell right. I assume you are just giddy with your latest acquisition. Congratulations to you sir!
tongue.gif

I might save up for them myself next year depending on my job hunt, budget, etc.
confused.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 77
dude i havent had much sleep, maybe a hour or so... just got back from work cause i need a amp...lol

sorry for the mispellings but people you have to buy these. im not saying they are the greatest thing out there, but they are not headphones!

omg i sat there and thought, noway? no screwing way? how did grado do it?

to me they dont really sound like the hp-series nor do they sound like the rs-1's....na its a different sound, they have the grado soundstage but the bass is sooo weird. the highs sound like the 325's and the mids sound like the 225's, but wow....

man I dont blame grado for not selling them to america (i know cause of the germ dis) but even if there wasent that deal, dude justen listen to them I cant say I spent $1400 on something and was so amazed, the rs-1's look like sony stock ear buds?...lol ok well ....no they do

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 77
sweet... enjoy!

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
dude i havent had much sleep, maybe a hour or so... just got back from work cause i need a amp...lol

sorry for the mispellings but people you have to buy these. im not saying they are the greatest thing out there, but they are not headphones!

omg i sat there and thought, noway? no screwing way? how did grado do it?

to me they dont really sound like the hp-series nor do they sound like the rs-1's....na its a different sound, they have the grado soundstage but the bass is sooo weird. the highs sound like the 325's and the mids sound like the 225's, but wow....

man I dont blame grado for not selling them to america (i know cause of the germ dis) but even if there wasent that deal, dude justen listen to them I cant say I spent $1400 on something and was so amazed, the rs-1's look like sony stock ear buds?...lol ok well ....no they do

BHD812:

Everybody has been raving about these Grado PS-1 cans. I'm waiting for a couple of people to review them. Then, I'll see if they are in my short term future.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 77
Welly, if you sold your RS-1s and UE-10s, the PS-1 could be in your near future
very_evil_smiley.gif

(Just playing devil's advocate! The reviews so far have all been good.)

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 77
Nice headphones, they are. Very nice, in fact. Speakers they are not!

Oh, I get the point, and do agree that there is a certain rockability to these headphones since they produce such awesome, clean bass, and do not give up any detail elsewhere. They really are magical in many ways, but their flat soundstage is typical of headphones and this is where a good speaker system will pull you into the music in a way that the PS-1's cannot. That said, oddly enough, I agree that the $1,400 price tag is actually reasonable under the circumstances. I've also found the PS-1's to be remarkably source and amp neutral. They really are nowhere as finicky as the R10's or Omega II's. This is not to say that they do not improve as the rest of the chain improves, but they sound wonderful out of a META 42 and PCDP.

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
They really are magical in many ways, but their flat soundstage is typical of headphones and this is where a good speaker system will pull you into the music in a way that the PS-1's cannot.

Although I haven't had the experience you have with the cream of the headphone crop (you lucky so and so
biggrin.gif
), so far at least, these are the headphones that have made me miss my speakers the least.

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Welly, if you sold your RS-1s and UE-10s, the PS-1 could be in your near future
very_evil_smiley.gif

(Just playing devil's advocate! The reviews so far have all been good.)

Lol, if I could resell custom fitted UE-10's and I owned them, maybe I would sell them.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 77
wcmcmanus is right, the grado headphones, though excellent at detail and imaging(my definition) they lack the soundstage of even the senn 650....

and I love it.

Eventually I will find myself buying a super expensive speaker rig, but I doubt anything can match the intimacy of the ps-1s. In my opinion, comparing headphones and speakers, are like comparing apples and oranges. Its like saying jazz song X is better than rock song Y.

Congrats on your headphones. Now for the amp. One of us can get the rp-5 the other the ppx3. Then, we can trade and compare.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
wcmcmanus is right, the grado headphones, though excellent at detail and imaging(my definition) they lack the soundstage of even the senn 650....

and I love it.

Eventually I will find myself buying a super expensive speaker rig, but I doubt anything can match the intimacy of the ps-1s. In my opinion, comparing headphones and speakers, are like comparing apples and oranges. Its like saying jazz song X is better than rock song Y.

Congrats on your headphones. Now for the amp. You get the ppx3, I will get the rp-5 then we can trade and compare.
biggrin.gif

they are damm close for a set of cans

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #15 of 77
that was a joke, and it was funny.(IMO)

what amp are you getting?

I want to tell everyone these headphones suck, so they won't be bought, and they won't get the flavor of the month title, and grado won't release them in the states for $800, and I can feel special and tell everyone in the next couple of years how their grados don't sound anywhere as good as my limited edition ps-1, ala hp-1000.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back