OMG... I just bought a Sony D-EJ1000!!! (Review coming soon...)
Apr 30, 2002 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
eek.gif

Today I went to Tweeter at Harlem Ave. & Lake Street in River Forest (yep, it's a recently-opened Tweeter store there, at the west terminal of the CTA's Green Line L) - and I pondered over three PCDPs (I am planning to replace my Panasonic SL-CT470 that's been stopping disc play due to a spring that's pushing up on its plastic lid very close to where the lid-activated switch is located at - if I moved even slightly while I have the CT470 in my case, somehow the disc would pause and stop and resume playing even though I have the Hold switch activated): the Panasonic SL-CT790 ($149.99), the Sony D-EJ855 ($149.99) and the Sony D-EJ1000 ($199.99).

After pondering for an hour I've eliminated the Panasonic - it has no line-out jack whatsoever (on U.S. and Canadian market models), only a headphone-out. (And as with most other Panasonic PCDPs with no line-out, that headphone out itself is really crappy-sounding.) Also, its hinge uses the same crappy exposed-spring mechanism that is also located next to the CT790's lid-activated switch, so I may have the same problems of pausing and stopping.

But I have an even tougher time deciding between the two Sonys: The D-EJ855 has no charging stand, but claims the same 92-hour battery life as the D-EJ955 (not distributed in the U.S.), and it is kinda cool-looking - it has a translucent lid made of soft plastic and is surrounded in blue. That makes it more bump-resistant than the PCDP that I eventually bought, the D-EJ1000. So, the D-EJ855 is the better choice of the two high-end Sony CD Walkman players if you tend to treat your PCDPs a little harshly.

The D-EJ1000 won me over with its metal-cast lid, a charging stand and a pair of NH-14WM batteries that are supposed to run over 40 hours between charges (the D-EJ855 comes with a pair of NC-6WM batteries rated for about 18 hours between charges). (Note that their advertised battery-life claim assumes that you'll be using both the internal rechargeables and the external AA alkalines simultaneously - both players claim 71-hour battery life with just the two external AA alkalines in an external battery case.)

Both players come with a stick remote (the same remote as last year's D-EJ825 and D-EJ925); the 855's isn't backlit, while the 1000's is. And both claim to be CD-R and CD-RW compatible.

I am currently charging the NH-14WM batteries, and then listen to the D-EJ1000. I will post my impressions shortly, followed in a few days by a full review (with a comparison to my other Sony, the D-EJ721, and my rickety Panasonic SL-CT470).

cya l8r

Randy

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 11
wow, i can't wait to read a comparison between the sony and panasonic. i have been waiting for a long time for someone to do this but most people here either go only sony, only panasonic, or just bash one or the other without ever actually comparing them.

May 1, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 11
Always lovely to have a Head-Fier review something for us.. thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

Eagle_Driver, My CT430 (looks identical to the 470 but with less anti-shock and adds an optical out) also suffers from the same symptoms. My solution was to stick paper into the slot where the lid-activated switch is. That way, I have to power off manually whenever I change CDs, but seems to be a good solution otherwise
smily_headphones1.gif

I took it apart once, which is probably why it's having this problem. *throws my CT780 around like a frisbee*

May 1, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Compared to my Panasonic SL-CT470, the Sony D-EJ1000 seems to be louder and a bit laid-back at the same time - and it distorts past half volume when I used earbuds with it. (I have no problems whatsoever when I used full-size headphones with the D-EJ1000.) I think Sony may have screwed around with the gain of its headphone op-amp in its newest CD Walkman players, given its 5mW per channel rating.

That said, I will still give it some more time before I will give it a definite thumbs up or down. So far, the D-EJ1000 works much better with full-size headphones than with small earbuds.

May 1, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 11
I recently bought the D-EJ955 but I don't suggest anyone spends money on it because it had a problem with the highs. I would hear this high pitched rattling sound as if it was coming from a speaker that wasn't sitting on the ground properly. I checked out some reviews for it at amazon.co.uk (it is not out in the US right now) and someone else mentioned the same problem. I hope the 1000 doesn't have the same problem.

May 1, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 11
I also recently picked up a Sony D-EJ1000. It's a nice little player that has pretty good sound out of the line out. I tried it from the headphone out with the Sony 888 earbuds and did not hear any distortion even at loud volumes. I also checked out the Pan 790 at Tweeter and also didn't buy it because it has no line out. That's crazy for a PCDP in that price range.

May 1, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
That said, I will still give it some more time before I will give it a definite thumbs up or down. So far, the D-EJ1000 works much better with full-size headphones than with small earbuds.

Exactly my thoughts Eagle, I posted exactly the same comments about 3 weeks ago, I'm glad that for once, someone here agrees with me about something
wink.gif

I hope you like it, and anticipate your review
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 11
One minor problem with my D-EJ1000 sample: The headphone out distorts at volume settings above 18/30 with 16-ohm earbuds (such as the Sony MDR-E888LP, MDR-EX70LP and MDR-A44L) - and the headphone amp is rated at 5mW per channel at 16 ohms. Yet the maximum usable output with extremely low impedance headphones isn't as high as my D-EJ721. The D-EJ1000's usability with 32-ohm or higher headphones, however, is a different story. I tried my Sennheiser MX 500 earbuds on the D-EJ1000 - and I couldn't get the combo to distort until I cranked the D-EJ1000's volume control up so that the MX 500's produced ear-bleeding volumes.

Bottom line (at least as far as my D-EJ1000 sample is concerned): Be careful with the volume control if you use headphones lower than 32 ohms impedance. (This applies only if you want very loud volumes with little distortion - and the D-EJ1000's op-amp can't handle the relatively high current needed for such extremely low impedance headphones.)

May 3, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 11
line out... probably, seems level with me E905...

Headphone out... YES, to a point ~ with FULL SIZED headphones, it adds loads of warmth to what is normally a sterile sound from PCDPs, sounds really good

With earbuds though, it blows, anything over 3 years old will sound better, but Eagle has explained that already

So, depends on your application....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back