OMG can low bass tests spoil IEMS?!
Mar 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 36
I suspect that any driver can be overdriven, especially if you amp; phones made for portables tend to be sensitive and easy to drive.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 36
That has happened to me before with triple fi 10 pros. Eventually the bass came back. Sure taught me not to abuse them anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 36
Any PURE TONES can damage headphones.

very low tones are not so much heard as felt. Even though the headphone measures flat to a measurement microphone at lower frequencies it may not sound that way, even after correction curves are applied.

The effect is made worse by the fact that gauging the volume of a pure tone is dificult. They can be (and often are) a decent bit louder than you would guess.

Bummer.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 36
I've found earphones to be pretty durable to this kind of stuff. I've pushed some and have listened to a lot of tone and noise tracks along with a good bit of amping and EQing. You do have to be very careful about what you're doing and listen very carefully to the mechanical limits of the driver.

Not all frequency response tests are created equal. Some do emphasize certain frequency ranges, and some bass songs are sort of designed to be a punishment type test, i.e. designed to purposely wreck subwoofers that aren't of the highest capability.

For frequency response, I typically use a pink noise track and a good EQ with a lot of bands or of a more free form design (infinitely adjustable) You can understand the frequency response and the response limits very well working through a pink noise track paired with a capable EQ. It can very much help you understand your hardware and tune it to a more ideal setting.

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 36
Lol I was just playing around seeing how low my dual armature woofers could go I never dreamed that this nonsense could ever do any harm whatsoever to my earphones . The range is supposed to be 20hz-20khz lol and I played it really soft too

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found earphones to be pretty durable to this kind of stuff. I've pushed some and have listened to a lot of tone and noise tracks along with a good bit of amping and EQing. You do have to be very careful about what you're doing and listen very carefully to the mechanical limits of the driver.

Not all frequency response tests are created equal. Some do emphasize certain frequency ranges, and some bass songs are sort of designed to be a punishment type test, i.e. designed to purposely wreck subwoofers that aren't of the highest capability.

For frequency response, I typically use a pink noise track and a good EQ with a lot of bands or of a more free form design (infinitely adjustable) You can understand the frequency response and the response limits very well working through a pink noise track paired with a capable EQ. It can very much help you understand your hardware and tune it to a more ideal setting.

I have no doubt that my drivers are of high quality, thing is perhaps the small armatures can't handle the bass? We're talking bout a pair of ue-11 grade dual armature bass subwoofers

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 36
I loose count of the times I read about morons who play pure tones through there hifi equipment very loud.
I have the moss music group test CD, which I do occationally use ( used to use it more when I had a cassette deck) and in bold letters it warns about the damage pure tones can do.

If you do use pure tones, make sure it's a very very low volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back