Olive Opus: 400GB, lossless audio, $3,000
Mar 1, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 17
Well you ALSO get a CD player, four 24-bit DACs, 8x oversampling, a 352.8 kHz sample rate, low jitter clock, two USB ports, four Ethernet ports, built-in WiFi, coax and optical digital outputs, RCA analog output, RCA analog input, and a headphone output in addition to that 400GB hard drive for your three grand. Pricewise it's certainly not out of the ballpark for a high-end CD player, let alone a high-end CD *and* media player with networking. I'd be interested in seeing some reviews.

I really like the copy at engadget though! According to them you can either get an iPod with the new HiFi, or you can shell out $3000 for the Opus. It's nice to know there are only two options! Keeping it simple for the masses, eh?
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 17
If I had 3,000 USD I'd buy it. Might be slightly over-priced but it might also be worth it. Alas I do not have 3k on me so I guess my PC will do just fine.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 17
very good idea. I like the all in one nature and if it really is all done lossless and with superb DAC's then I would be tempted to buy. But of course I lack about $3000

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 17
you can build a "musicbox" (pc based of course) with equal or better sound output and equal or better memory space foir less money than that costs....

it may be larger, but eeh, stick it in a corner, and have a touchscrean display mounted in your stereo rack. (the built box aboive lacks touchscrean....) and you could still come out ahead as far as $$$ and quality is concerned.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 17
Mine has infinite capacity, is absolutely lossless, has every output you want, plays SACD and DVD-A, and only cost me $800. It's as portable as this monstrosity. It's my DVD-3910 Universal disc player.

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightnin Joe
Mine has infinite capacity, is absolutely lossless, has every output you want, plays SACD and DVD-A, and only cost me $800. It's as portable as this monstrosity. It's my DVD-3910 Universal disc player.

Nice player for a different application that doesn't have 400GB of hard disk storage, USB, Ethernet, or WiFi. And what exactly makes the Olive machine a "monstrosity"? It looks to be designed and engineered quite well. If it is indeed an audiophile level player then they'll probably sell quite a few of them. I agree with bangraman that as time marches on, hybrid media players like this will probably become more common and drop in price.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightnin Joe

Umm, infinite capacity? I thought CDs were still limited to 74 minutes of music (not sure what the limit is on SACD and DVD-A, but certainly not 400 gigs at once). Since this player also has a CD drive built in, you can't claim something on the Opus.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Umm, infinite capacity? I thought CDs were still limited to 74 minutes of music (not sure what the limit is on SACD and DVD-A, but certainly not 400 gigs at once). Since this player also has a CD drive built in, you can't claim something on the Opus.

LOL, yes, by that logic, my computer has "infinite" capacity as well. I can add as many hard drives and network as many computers as I want, and keep swapping them out.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Now the real question is what is the sound quality of the Olive Opus?

opus_opus.jpg

Throws out some more "exotic" features when they say things like, "The breathtaking audio fidelity is courtesy of a customized audio board with four 24-bit DACs and temperature-compensated crystal oscillator."

I think this thread belongs in the Dedicated Sources forum since this thing is probably not battery powered.

-Ed

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 17
The 4 DAC's are what interest me... that is not too common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back