Old Time Audio Cassette People....Help Me out...
Apr 24, 2004 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
In another thread, we've figured out how to create a line-in in a vehicle to plug in my archos portable MP3 player (goodbye cassette adaptor!). The solution I've decided on requires that my vehicle's cassette deck be active and playing, thus fooling the signal to the delco radio and allowing my portables line-in to work (obviously, cassette playback won't be heard).

I took an old cassette tape (LOL, I guess they're all "old"), and gutted it by removing the tape and leaving in the rollers. When placed in the deck, it fools the deck that something is in there...but there's no head wear occurring due to no tape moving past it. I figured this would be good, because the tape will sit in there for long periods of time and play constantly.

I noticed that the spindle rollers turn significantly faster with this dummy tape....1. due to less resistance...or 2. the timing function is off because only 1 roller is spinning. My question....is this bad for the tape deck?? I'm wondering if the motor will burn out faster, or some other gadget will wear strangely inside if I do this?

If this is a problem, any ideas how to create the perfect "dummy" cassette? I notice that tape deck adaptors even have some gearing that ensures that the two spindles spin together....

Thanks.

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratner
Don't drive yourself crazy... spend $10 and buy one.

Appreciate the reply....but I think you've misunderstood the mission. I already own a cassette adaptor....and am moving on to a line in on my car's oem stereo. I need a dummy cassette to leave in the separate slave tape deck to enable the line in feature of the adaptor I'm installing.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69958

Apr 25, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 5
Don't know this will help, but just a suggestion....

You need to find the Allsop cassette head cleaner.

B00000J3MN.M.jpg

See the parts in red? (There's also a part that's in red that cleans the tape head) All of them are removable/replaceable. So if you take out the head cleaning part, there will be no head wear when you insert the shell inside your tape player to "play". And of course, you can leave in or out the part that couples with the roller/capstan, depending on how you want to use it.

If you can't find this head cleaner locally (and I doubt it if you will), you can order online at Allsop.com. This head cleaner was THE head cleaner to buy when cassettes were the rage; I consider it the ultimate cassette head cleaner.

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Don't know this will help, but just a suggestion....

You need to find the Allsop cassette head cleaner.

B00000J3MN.M.jpg

See the parts in red? (There's also a part that's in red that cleans the tape head) All of them are removable/replaceable. So if you take out the head cleaning part, there will be no head wear when you insert the shell inside your tape player to "play". And of course, you can leave in or out the part that couples with the roller/capstan, depending on how you want to use it.

If you can't find this head cleaner locally (and I doubt it if you will), you can order online at Allsop.com. This head cleaner was THE head cleaner to buy when cassettes were the rage; I consider it the ultimate cassette head cleaner.

Great idea, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back