Old school Aiwa Microsystem now playing
Mar 18, 2006 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gino

500+ Head-Fier
So it's a lazy Friday night and beer is wearing off. I'm bored. Then I spot my 70s Aiwa Microsystem. I pull out its P22 amp and hook up my Ibook and plug my Altec IM716 IEM on the headphone jack. It's alive.

These IEMs are really better off amped. Bass has good grip and everything just sounds better now that it is louder. Skins are taught, plucks bite,small metals tingle, oh so wonderful.

It's not the last word in fidelity of course but a pretty good prelude to my upcoming tube amp build.

I saw an amp only Aiwa Microsystem on Ebay. Still has 4 days to go. This is the next model that came out. It makes for a small inexpensive full sounding headphone amp.

More on my 70s amp at:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/olde...imicrosys.html

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 4
that would be a nice stack O' audio equipment to have.

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 4
I love the way vintage gear has the ability to take you back in time. My CDP (Rotel RCD-855) was manufactured between 1989-1991, which were some very unique times of my life... I have some very powerful emotional memories of those years. The fact that it has a nice black background and resolution of low level details (good power supply section) doesn't hurt either
wink.gif
. Congrats on the nice gear~!

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Wow - there's a blast from the past. I used to sell those systems back in the 70's and 80's. Terrific little systems, perfectly matched components, and sound way beyond their diminutive size.

Technics (back when it was still Matsu****a's premium brand) had some very nice mini systems as well.)

Thanks for the memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back