Old man ears question / recommendations?
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jimkuhr

New Head-Fier
Quick question, I'm 67 and I doubt that my hearing is what it was in the "good old days" :)

I haven't gotten out to listen to new headphones for quite a while, so here's the question. At the office I have a Mac and listen to iTunes for music. I just purchased a Schiit Modi 2 DAC and a Magni headphone amp. At the moment I'm using my old Sennheiser HD580 Precision headphones and I'm wondering if it's worth an upgrade to a new set of over the ear cans? I wouldn't want to pay anymore than $400, what say you, stay with my 580's or move on to something new?

They need to be comfortable so I can wear them for an extended period while sitting at my desk.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 11
If you're willing to wait a month to get them, for $199.99 the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones sound like an excellent bargain. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Once you order, you only have 2 hrs. to change your mind, though.

They are very similar to the $369 Sennheiser HD-650. I have a pair of these, but am considering buying the Massdrop version, as a spare, since my 60 year old ears like them so much, and for $200 ... wow.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...=1522802042&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd-650

A good comparison of the two can be watched here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv.824703/

Good luck on finding a new set.

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 11
I haven't gotten out to listen to new headphones for quite a while, so here's the question. At the office I have a Mac and listen to iTunes for music. I just purchased a Schiit Modi 2 DAC and a Magni headphone amp. At the moment I'm using my old Sennheiser HD580 Precision headphones and I'm wondering if it's worth an upgrade to a new set of over the ear cans? I wouldn't want to pay anymore than $400, what say you, stay with my 580's or move on to something new?

They need to be comfortable so I can wear them for an extended period while sitting at my desk.

Given all those I'd just stick with the HD580, unless you can elaborate more on what exactly you want to improve on.

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the input folks! The Massdrop option certainly looks very interesting and I'm going to spend some time checking that out. In terms of the improvements I'm looking for, essentially it feels to me like the 580's aren't as airy and transparent as I would hope for if that makes sense. They just feel like they are a bit muddy, maybe it's just getting use to them again since I hadn't listened to them for quite a while. At home I use a pair of B&W P7 wireless cans via bluetooth on my phone but I don't want to use those at the office. Maybe the ears are just out of it these days :) I really appreciate your thoughts and help!

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the input folks! The Massdrop option certainly looks very interesting and I'm going to spend some time checking that out. In terms of the improvements I'm looking for, essentially it feels to me like the 580's aren't as airy and transparent as I would hope for if that makes sense. They just feel like they are a bit muddy, maybe it's just getting use to them again since I hadn't listened to them for quite a while. At home I use a pair of B&W P7 wireless cans via bluetooth on my phone but I don't want to use those at the office. Maybe the ears are just out of it these days :) I really appreciate your thoughts and help!

You might try putting a new pair of ear pads on your 580's before you give up on them. That might improve your sound quality issues. Also changing the driver covers can help sometimes.

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Im an "old guy" myself...Highs are the first thing we lose,so perhaps a brighter headphone might serve you well.

Check into:
DT990 250ohm or 32ohm version.
AKG K712 or K7XX

If you had a better amp I'd recommend AKG K240 sextetts to you,but the Magni you have wont cut it.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 11
Im an "old guy" myself...Highs are the first thing we lose,so perhaps a brighter headphone might serve you well.

Check into:
DT990 250ohm or 32ohm version.
AKG K712 or K7XX

If you had a better amp I'd recommend AKG K240 sextetts to you,but the Magni you have wont cut it.
As a 48 year old Punk, I can second your thoughts. I tend to like headphones that other people find too bright. When the OP said "airy and trans[parent" my first thought was something AKG 7 series...and my next thought was Beyerdynamic...DT880

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 11
I am 50+ and one of the best sounding (synergy) that I have come across is a pair of Beyerdynamics Amiron Home with the Massdrop CTH hybrid tube amp !
Just a beautiful combo !

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Super input, I hadn’t thought specifically about loosing the highs in terms of getting a brighter pair of cans. Great idea!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back