Old Fart asks - where's the new King Crimson?
Feb 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #76 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do yourself a favor and get "Red" as well. The HDCD version is quite nice. Bruford is soooo good on this.

Red and In the Court are my two favorites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, you need to get those too then. If I could only own two U2 albums it would be those two.

I remember when they came out because my room mate was very into them. I heard them a lot and when I moved, I didn't miss them. It's what kept me from buying any U2 until I started seeing them in the local thrift store last summer. The first one I bought is still the one I like the best, Zooropa. It's actually the only one I own that I've chosen to listen to. All the others, if they come up on shuffle, I'll listen to them but I doubt I'll ever pick it to listen to.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #77 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first one I bought is still the one I like the best, Zooropa.

That shows how different tastes can be. I consider Zooropa to be one of their three worst albums (along with Pop and Achtung Baby.) To me, it was a complete loss of direction for them, and sounded nothing like U2.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #78 of 107
Quote:

Other than Steve Howe, I don't know if any of them have done much since. I saw Howe playing solo acoustic on a local TV station and it was great.

I have two Steve Howe solo CDs (one old, one new), and they are great!

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #79 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5- Buckethead - "Welcome To Bucketheadland 1 & 2"

I'm 41 as well and grew up with much of the same. The King Crimson HDCD's get played a lot. But I am a huge Buckethead fan. When I first saw a picture of him I was like, uhhhh What? But this guy is a true genius.

He writes and composes all of his music and simply amazes me the amount of great music he writes and plays on his 60's custom Les Paul. Now that said, he does have some stuff that is very unusual and isn't quite my style.

If you would like some suggestions just let me know. But some quick suggestions would be, Population Override "Earth Heals Herself" or "Too Many Humans". Or of course, the Mellow albums Colma or Electric Tears.

I think he has over 30 CD's out.

The best I have heard from him were collaborations. Colnel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains (with Les Claypool, Bernie Worrell, and Brain), and Shine (with Bill Lasswell and Shin Terra.) Both masterpieces!

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #80 of 107
If you like Buckethead, check out
Mattias IA Eklundh Freak Guitar-the Road Less Traveled

solo work by the guitarist of Freak Kitchen.

made me put down the guitar forever..hehe:p

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #81 of 107
Well I grew up on what you mentioned (an I am 20... imagine that!). Check out Kings of Leon (starting with their old(er) stuff first. Even my father approves..

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #83 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and major props for trying to find new music. Most your age aren't willing to search for good music anymore.

That's a bit of a stereotype. I'm 49 and I try new music all the time. I've bought many CDs recommended here and on AMG.

A similar stereotype could be made that young people won't listen to anything old. When I was young, I was talking about some recent music purchases of LPs that had come out 10 years before and one of my coworkers said he never listened to anything more than 6 months old.

Neither stereotype is true, especially for people here.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #84 of 107
Age is not the issue...

Me: Want to listen to something different?
Son (20): What?
Me: King Crimson
Son: No.
Me: Why not?
Son: I don't like it.
Me: How do you know?
Son: I've never heard it so it must not be any good.

:facepalm:

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #85 of 107
Quote:

That's a bit of a stereotype. I'm 49 and I try new music all the time. I've bought many CDs recommended here and on AMG.

A similar stereotype could be made that young people won't listen to anything old. When I was young, I was talking about some recent music purchases of LPs that had come out 10 years before and one of my coworkers said he never listened to anything more than 6 months old.

Agreed 100%. I am 46 and also try new music all the time. I do a lot of research before buying, though, since I can't possibly afford to try everything.

By the way, Kings of Leon are great (nothing like King Crimson, though.)

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #86 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed 100%. I am 46 and also try new music all the time. I do a lot of research before buying, though, since I can't possibly afford to try everything.

By the way, Kings of Leon are great (nothing like King Crimson, though.)

I've always bought a lot of music on a total whim, usually used though. I get a few clunkers, but I've had more hits. Sometimes, the bands name is familiar but the 30 second samples on the web don't make me want to rush out and buy. If I'm buying online, I'll always look it up on AMG.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #87 of 107
Quote:

Fair I guess since all my friends listen to old and new and none of the older folks do I assumed it was that way for the old guys.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #88 of 107
I'm in my 50's and stuck in the same rut.
Cut my teeth on music from New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and Asleep at the Wheel, to King Crimson, Zeplin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer. It seemed the Talent was endless in all genre's.

But here's some that I have found and enjoy in the last couple years.

WILCO - and they are awesome live!!
RadioHead - Kinda in the King Crimson vein
Audioslave
Buckethead
Beck - Always unique and he draws from many different type's of music.
NIN - But they've been around as long as some in my original list.
Gorillaz

Also rediscovering some Blues oldies from the day.
Rory Gallahger
Ry Cooder
Johnny Winter

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #90 of 107
Why not try some of the electronic weirdness on the Warp Records label? Mira Calix and Plaid for starters. You can listen to them at BLEEP - High Quality Music Downloads from Bleep.com. Not King Crimson but I kind of see it as the contemporary equivalent don't ask me why? Also Fripp worked with FSOL on Lifeforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back