ok.. Who tried the Grace 901 with Grado RS1?
Jul 20, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 15
Jul 20, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Just wanted to point out that the lastest issue of Stereophile has a new follow-up review of this amp.

For those who don't get Stereophile, the review praises the Grace 901 pretty highly. John Atkinson agrees early on that it deserves Class A status. Interestingly, he also really likes the DAC.

Jul 20, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
For those who don't get Stereophile, the review praises the Grace 901 pretty highly. John Atkinson agrees early on that it deserves Class A status. Interestingly, he also really likes the DAC.

That's why it worries me and wanted to hear other's opinions.
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 15
From what I remember, the DAC on the 901 sounded quite good. Very pleasing, somewhat warm for a solid state amp, which is a good thing, imo.

Also, the Grace has both kinds of inputs (digital & analog) so you have your choice which you want to use.

I don't think you'll want to return it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 20, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
it seems my chance of auditioning gilmore V2 is nil, now, i'm curious how tried the above combo?

Yes. I am looking for the suitable solid state amp to drive RS1.
Appreciate any feedback.

I heard the Grace 901 in NY and liked it, but don't believe I used the RS-1. I am using the RS-1 as my primary headphone in evaluating an Emmeline HR-2 (full review coming soon). That particular combination has a very nice synergy that's worth looking into.

Jul 20, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Kuma,

Out of all the amps I've tried extensively with the RS1 (EMP, RKV, Gilmore V1, 901) the 901 remains my favorite with these phones. It is a very smooth sounding solid state amp. With challenging material like fusion, and music with great dynamics this amp will bring the RS1 places I have not heard any other amp bring it. It is one of the great combos IMO.

Before the 901 when listening to the aforementioned material too loud I thought I was bringing the RS1 to distortion because that's all the phones could handle. With the 901 I now realize it was the amp (RA-1, EMP, RKV) that couldn't deliver the current the RS1's needed to reproduce that challenging material at that volume. The 901 is a real eye opener in this situation.

As a side note the 901 sounds more refined than a stock Gilmore V1, however the Gilmore is another solid state amp that can deliver a lot of current to the RS1. When you add a DACT stepped attenuator to the Gilmore these amps become very close sounding with these phones. The 901 is much more expensive but it also is more versatile, with the input sensitivity being switchable, the onboard DAC, great build quality, and 5 year warranty.

As far as the DAC is concerned, in my original review of this amp when using a DV47A as a source and outlaw cables I preferred the 901 DAC nearly everytime to the analog inputs. Now that I'm using a DV8400, with VD Nite Cables I prefer the analog inputs. From this I've concluded that the better your source and cables the more likely you'll prefer the analog inputs. The onboard DAC however is excellent and is probably more accurate to the actual recording. If I was using the 901 for it's intended purpose, doing a final check on a master, I would not be using a DV8400 with Nite Cables.

If you like the RS1 and you're looking for a solid state amp to drive it the 901 is a great choice.

Jul 20, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
From what I remember, the DAC on the 901 sounded quite good. Very pleasing, somewhat warm for a solid state amp, which is a good thing, imo.

Also, the Grace has both kinds of inputs (digital & analog) so you have your choice which you want to use.

DAC is a lucky strike extra. Noone really compared to any outboard DAC?
Bel Canto DAC2 is very very good. I am curious how it does against it.

But my primary interest is an amp. Since I am looking for a particular *voice*, it makes an amp selection more difficult.

Jul 20, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I am using the RS-1 as my primary headphone in evaluating an Emmeline HR-2 (full review coming soon). That particular combination has a very nice synergy that's worth looking into.

Well, Emmeline didn't work out with RS1 for me. However it did great with AKG K501.
eek.gif

There aren't many commercialy available solid state amps around. Asides from RA1 which I used in the past, Emmeline, Gilmore and Grace pretty much fit the physicl requirement. ( I am skipping Headroom amp because they are big ) I am trying to minimise the system clutter without losing the sound I am getting from Concerto/VPS combo. ( doesn't have to sound exactly the same, but, keeping the spirit of it )

Jul 20, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound
Out of all the amps I've tried extensively with the RS1 (EMP, RKV, Gilmore V1, 901) the 901 remains my favorite with these phones. It is a very smooth sounding solid state amp. With challenging material like fusion, and music with great dynamics this amp will bring the RS1 places I have not heard any other amp bring it. It is one of the great combos IMO.

88sound,

Adjectives like 'warm, pleasing and smooth' worry me a bit. Most solid state amps who sound like that tend to sound sickningly bland and tend to lack in pacing. If it can reseve the dynamic shading, however, it might have a chance.

Having an extra fascilities might come in handy since I might be able to work it with Nagra's 60 ohms output impedance.

Interesting to see you prefer the Grace over other tube amps. So far, i have been using my RS1 with tube amps only and hope to find an equally kick ass solid state amp. ( literally
biggrin.gif
)

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to find a 901 owners. It seems this amp hasn't been much talked about as other 'big three'.

Jul 20, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

[size=xx-small]Originally posted by kuma[/size]
Adjectives like 'warm, pleasing and smooth' worry me a bit.

I wouldn't call the 901 warm (unless the recording sounds that way). What I mean by smooth is non-grainy. Some solid state amps sound grainy. After hearing the 901/RS1 combo it is the only amp I use with the RS1. Oddly enough the HP-2's sound best with the RKV, and the W2002/W100's with the EMP.

Neither tube amp can keep up with a blaring 32nd note electric bass run that you might find in fusion, the 901 can.

By the way, what tube amp would you recommend with the RS1?

Jul 20, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

By the way, what tube amp would you recommend with the RS1? [/B]

The tube amp amp that works extremely well with the Rs1s is the singlepower Mxp3 the synergy between these two components is uncanny. I prefer the rs1s with the mxp3 over hp1swith mxp3.

Jul 20, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

What I mean by smooth is non-grainy. Some solid state amps sound grainy. After hearing the 901/RS1 combo it is the only amp I use with the RS1.

88Sound,

Thanks for the clarification. The trend for solid state amplifiers these days, from my observation, is focused on avoiding notorious 'solid state grain'. What happens in most cases is that some go overboard. It is very rare to find a solid state amp that can juggle both thransient response, articulation and wide open extention at top.

Quote:

By the way, what tube amp would you recommend with the RS1?

Unfortunately, I can't make any reco on any commerically available tube phone amp since I have been using regular stereo amp with a headphone transformer. I use two amps. Single-ended Art Audio Jota with 52BX tubes ( which is my bench mark more or less ) and push-pull ultralinear Art Audio Concerto II for the secondary set up. I am trying to consolidate push-pull amp, hoping to get closer to the sound of Jota yet in small package that does not require a separate preamp.

Incidentaly, jota does not sound particularly *tubish* in a traditional sense which I happen to like this disposition. Concerrto's weakness is it is probably closer to that bloomy warmish tooby sound everyone likes. ( it is less offensive than most ).

I am exploring a solid state alternative in paralell track with a custom tube job, since in the summer time, heat is unbearable in my small office space.

At any rate, thank you for sharing your experience with Grace, particularly in conjuction with RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back