Ok this is getting ridiculous! How do you guys keep track of your spending?
Mar 7, 2006 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I got my mastercard bill in the mail today, and it was a whopping $500 dollars. I am at a loss for words, and deeply troubled/angry. 4 months ago, after paying off a $300 bill, I vowed to cut down on my mastercard spending. It feels like the tax man stealing my money from me every month. Well instead of going down they have somehow gone up! Last month was $580, and this month I told myself no more spending. I only ate dinner out once this month, and did not make a single audio related purchase. Yet for some reason when I actively keep my spending in check, I end up being sent a larger bill! These last 4 bills alone could have bought me a very nice piece of audio equipment. Should I just cut the card up? Does anyone have any tips on how I should manage this spending?

My mastercard statements usually look like this..

no items over $50
usually 4-5 $25 charges for gas
usually 2-5 charges on ridiculous stuff I don't remember buying, groceries, shipping costs at the post office, odd tidbits
1-2 necessities such as new shoes this month
1-2 cases where I had no choice but to use mastercard, usually under $20

What can I do? I am seriously ready to cut this dreaded piece of plastic, it makes me so angry that all this money is gone, and I have gained absolutely no happiness in spending it. Rather I don't remember most of the stuff I bought with it. It just seems like a little here and there adds up to hundreds, which over the months adds up to thousands!
mad.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 47
keep what? of my spending?

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 47
^^ the spreadsheet idea is what I use as well.

Although I've gotten quite good at using only the CC for purchases, no cash or Interac. That way I get a second list to match up with my own spreadsheet.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 47
i too go threw the same process every month. all these little 20-30 dollar charges and it ends up in the thousands...i am always beating myself up...
the only solution for me is to stay home....if i stay home or am at work..presto.....i dont spend money...

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I keep a running tab on an excel spreadsheet.... It helps to keep things in check for me
biggrin.gif

I need to start doing that, right now I just tally my audio expenditures in a text file, and go over any other transactions every couple weeks. Sometimes it can be a right mess figuring out where the money went, and just as much a mess figuring out why I have more than I should (tax refund updated my checking balance days before it posted any pending transaction
blink.gif
).

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
The last resort...... is to let the woman do the finances.... you'll never be broke...LOL... of course you'll never buy another pair of headphones... LOL.. seriously... my gf's a grad econs major... she does the finances...
tongue.gif

repeat...repeat....to all who have not yet committed this fatal error...dont..once you have cast the die there is no turning back...you see all the groveling and pleading and ninja shipments jahn goes through??? take a guess when this all started...

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
repeat...repeat....to all who have not yet committed this fatal error...dont..once you have cast the die there is no turning back...you see all the groveling and pleading and ninja shipments jahn goes through??? take a guess when this all started...

Tell us since you know. How was Jahn before?
biggrin.gif
You mean it's not because of the baby?
tongue.gif

mmm, let me check what my card's balance is now.. uh oh. can't access my account. Can't be good
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911

Man...it's a good thing i don't have a joint account...YET....arghhhhhh..
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #13 of 47
since every thing i do runs through wells fargo, i just check on the website every couple of days to see how things are going.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 47
Well, with respect to keeping track of spendings, it is far easier when you don't spend much.
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelconnor
Well, with respect to keeping track of spendings, it is far easier when you don't spend much.
icon10.gif

blink.gif
eek.gif
Do not listen to this man, he speaks madness! The Head-Fi Gods will have your wallet for this blasphemy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back