OK, suppose I got the Beyer 770's...
Jul 23, 2002 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
People here seem to be recommending the Beyers instead of the V700's for bassy portable use so I'm inclined to try them out to see.

I presume that the Beyers will work with MD equipment - otherwise you won't be trashing my recommendations for the V700's for portable use, right?

A friend wants my 280's so it might work out quite nicely - I'm getting an ATH-A9X shortly to replace the 280 but if I don't like it, they're so rare here that I could probably sell it without a huge loss.

The 770's also look a little weird on the website - I do not want another HD280 disaster on my hands. Any idea where I can see them actually on a head?

Jul 23, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 44
HI:
Are you saying that the 770 pro can be used with a mini disc player? Maby so with the cosmic amp. Head room says that they are hard to drive.

Jul 23, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 44
I don't have the 770s, but wouldn't they need an amp? Also, I think they're larger and heavier than the 280s. The DT250-80s seem to be up your alley though - more bass and less treble than the 280s, powered by a portable, and from the pictures, they look better.

Jul 23, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 44
Yep, they need an amp
frown.gif

But they sound worlds better than anything you've ever heard, so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 44
The 250-80's are really portable-powerable?
10mw@16ohms powerable?

Jul 23, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 44
I'm kind of leaning towards an amp, just for the heck of it. I'd really be interested in seeing if I really would be that impressed with teh 770 + amp combo.

I certainly debunked the 'HD280's with everything' myth - worthy units by all means, but jeesus, talk about the Switzerland of headphones... so knowing the Beyers would enable me to check out how objective you guys really are.

Which brings me to my next question. I don't see a charging adaptor option for units like the Airhead and the Corda... Why?

And I think I've asked this before, but I'm presuming that you get at least 10 hours of use on one charge with these amps?

Jul 24, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 44
Magic--the 4.5 V airhead (all they now sell --9V discontinued) is said to run for 40 hours on 3 AAAs. For stationary use, Headroom recommends an adaptor 9 or 12 V regulated, at least 300 millamps, center tip positive. On my airhead I use the radio shack AC adaptor 273-1667, 800 ma regulated, 3-12 V, works great - I leave it on 12 V. Most happy with it, but then again, I really like the senn 280 pro so our tastes differ.
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

People here seem to be recommending the Beyers instead of the V700's for bassy portable use so I'm inclined to try them out to see.

The DT770s, no. I wouldn't think about using them without an amp. The DT250-80s, maybe. But then, personally I wouldn't listen to some little ksc-50s without an amp. At the very least put yourself together a little $30 cmoy. Or if you're interested, I'm building META42s for a few other guys.
wink.gif

Quote:

I presume that the Beyers will work with MD equipment - otherwise you won't be trashing my recommendations for the V700's for portable use, right?

You've got us all wrong! We trash the V700s for any use!
wink.gif
(OK, I've only heard the V600s, but they sucked enough for both of them)

Quote:

The 770's also look a little weird on the website - I do not want another HD280 disaster on my hands. Any idea where I can see them actually on a head?

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy the DT770s if you want sexy headphones! These things are ****in huge! Buy them for their wonderful sound, and because they're nice & comfy.
smily_headphones1.gif

You know, that smiley isn't too far off on the size of these things.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 44
hey, I love the retro-industrial look of the 770pros, they're probably one of my favourite looking headphones and there are bigger (hp890s).

Plus the 770pros are built how they look - like a tank.

Wouldn't run them without an amp though. The 250-80s are more suitable for use without an amp, but also benefit from one.

Definately time to get yourself an amp
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
Magic--the 4.5 V airhead (all they now sell --9V discontinued) is said to run for 40 hours on 3 AAs.

Cool - that's more than acceptable. Is that on alkalines or Ni-Mh?

I wouldn't be looking at stationary use as I already have a different HP amp setup for home.

And once again my question - do any of these units have a charger input? Cuz changing batteries manually would suck.

Jul 24, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 44
Hmmm. My not-so-local HP shop doesn't carry Beyer and I don't know anyone who does who would let me have a look at them, so it's gonna be a blind purchase - anyone else have a like for pix of the 770's and the 220's for that matter on a head? These will be strictly for on the move use so it's important that if they don't look good, they look low-profile.

Jul 24, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 44
Thanks for the offer Toe. What do they look like? (You just knew that question was coming, didn't you?)

Jul 24, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 44
As for the Airhead, it works with 3 AAA batteries alkaline. I don't know about Ni mh or a charging pack--if no one responds here, I'm sure a quick post in the headroom forum will get your answer.

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 44
If you want cool looks I'd say go for the DT831 instead of the 770:

0020110831sidebig.JPG

Would you take a look at that
notlistening.gif
notlistening.gif
notlistening.gif

Shame that it's on the bass-light side though... but it's still HeadRoom's 'favourite closed headphone'
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back